Stay with my I7-920? Or upgrade to a i7-990x?

My Moms gaming pc is getting a little old now. She has bought a new one but we're waiting on a desk :/

Old pc specs

Case: Its a "sleeper style" beige case (id say 2001 ish)

Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2 ( Heres a link) https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6T_Deluxe_V2/ 

Ram: 6gb of ddr3 (dont know the speed probably 1066mhz) (she says she put "16gb" in but task manager reads 6 so..)

Cpu: i7 920 (first gen)

Gpu: EVGA GTX 750 SC (1gb gddr5)

Psu: EVGA 500w bronze or silver (been awhile since i looked at it)

Cpu Cooler: Basic i7 cooler 

When im going to get her old pc im thinking of either overclocking the i7 920 or getting a i7 990x and oc it. Yes im probably going water cooling. Sorry this thread is all over the place (its my first one sorry) 

Might as well get a 990X as it's the best-in-socket, unless your board will support 6-core Westmere-based Xeons such as the X5650.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 minutes ago, YoSonWhatUp said:

either overclocking the i7 920 or getting a i7 990x and oc it

Overclocking the CPU she currently has is always the best option to start with, as it costs no extra. As for an upgrade, a Xeon X5650 or something would be much more economical since the used prices for those are super low

I'd say the 750 is definitely the weak point in performance here

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Might as well get a 990X as it's the best-in-socket, unless your board will support 6-core Westmere-based Xeons such as the X5650.

it appears too

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/P6T_Deluxe_V2.html

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

990x is a six core so im thinking on buying one and not a xeon. Also im more familiar with i7 and their lineup 

52 minutes ago, YoSonWhatUp said:

990x is a six core so im thinking on buying one and not a xeon. Also im more familiar with i7 and their lineup 

A xeon X5650 is a 6 core CPU, just like an i7. There's no "familiarity," it works the same way just cheaper

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

I'd say the 750 is definitely the weak point in performance here

Yes, definitely is.