Evga 550 G3 troubleshooting

Chpy

So today my new pic I just build turned off randomly while working. When I went to turn it on again, I heard a click in the back and nothing happened. The light was still on the motherboard, signaling that it was getting power. After testing all the cables, I tried my old backup psu and it worked, so that’s what I’m using now.

I am curious if there is a way to fix my G3 so I can use it again, it seemed odd the Mobo was getting power but the pc wouldn't start. I ha e custom cable mod cables so I’d really like to see if I can get it to work again, as I cannot RMA with Newegg because I don’t have the original packaging.

What is your old PSU?

Are the Cablemod cables you were using made for the EVGA G3 or were they made for a different power supply?

Does the power supply still turn off if you use the stock cables that came with the power supply instead of the custom cablemod cables?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

The cable mod cables are made for the g3. I tried the cables that came with the g3, not the custom ones (this did not fix it, Mobo light was on but computer didn’t turn on, just the click noise). 

edit: old psu I have working now is a 600w evga. My build is 2070 super, Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb ram. Pretty sure pcpartpicker recommended 350 watts, so 550 should be plenty.

50 minutes ago, Chpy said:

I cannot RMA with Newegg because I don’t have the original packaging.

Then RMA to EVGA directly.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

10 hours ago, Chpy said:

I cannot RMA with Newegg because I don’t have the original packaging.

Your warranty is with EVGA.  Not Newegg.  

As said above you need to rma to EVGA directly 

the reason you see lights on your motherboard when the pc is switched off is because the 5vsb is responsible for providing power to your pc when it’s off , it’s DC conversion separate from the rest of the 12v 5v and 3v rails that your PC  needs when it’s powered on and therefore it’s not odd to see psu that fails to turn on although it has a working 5V sb 

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker