GTX 980 possible fix for intermittent black screen?

Arcaddia

So to start from the beginning I have owned an EVGA 980 SC for 5 years now and I recently sold it thinking it was fine. I then had a return request from the person that I sold it to which I had to accept and here I am now. Basically he said in all the games he played the graphics card would black screen the monitor about 45 minutes into a game. I tested it and he was indeed correct and I honestly cannot remember this issue happening prior. When I tested it it would black screen and then re-establish connection a few seconds later sometimes with the audio cutting along with it. I would really love to sell this again or else I'd have to look to sell it for cheaper at a trade-in store or just sell it faulty. So has anyone got any idea what I could do if anything for this issue. Thanks for any help!

[CPU] Ryzen 5 3600x [Cooling] be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 [Mobo] B450 Tomahawk Max [RAM] 16GB (2X8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz [GPU] RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio [PSU] XFX XTR 750W [Case] Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed

2 minutes ago, Arcaddia said:

So to start from the beginning I have owned an EVGA 980 SC for 5 years now and I recently sold it thinking it was fine. I then had a return request from the person that I sold it to which I had to accept and here I am now. Basically he said in all the games he played the graphics card would black screen the monitor about 45 minutes into a game. I tested it and he was indeed correct and I honestly cannot remember this issue happening prior. When I tested it it would black screen and then re-establish connection a few seconds later sometimes with the audio cutting along with it. I would really love to sell this again or else I'd have to look to sell it for cheaper at a trade-in store or just sell it faulty. So has anyone got any idea what I could do if anything for this issue. Thanks for any help!

Did it have this sort of issue before that or was this just encountered?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Did have this sort of issue before that or was this just encountered?

I can't remember the specific issue happening but I did encounter some driver crashes over the years but not black screens like this. Maybe my memory is bad so I can't say for sure.

[CPU] Ryzen 5 3600x [Cooling] be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 [Mobo] B450 Tomahawk Max [RAM] 16GB (2X8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz [GPU] RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio [PSU] XFX XTR 750W [Case] Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed

3 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Did it have this sort of issue before that or was this just encountered?

He said in the OP no he doesn't remember seeing the issue before.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

6 minutes ago, Arcaddia said:

My only suggestion would be to list it as defective/for parts and describe the issue in the listing and hope to get like $50 for it.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

That sounds like something went wrong either while being shipped to the buyer or the buyer did something wrong - since it started happening at his place and never before while it was in your possession.

Maybe the cooler is not properly connected anymore (due to crappy shipping or mishandling by the buyer) and it heats up over time, resulting in a shut-down and restart of the GPU when reaching max temp. Have you checked temperatures? If thats the issue, you could try unmounting the cooler and use new thermal paste, then putting it back together and stress test it.

ESL Profile: https://play.eslgaming.com/player/2432327/

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

bequiet PURE POWER 600W 80+ bronze                  Corsair RM 650x 80+ gold

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB 

What is weird is that I have seen this on my laptop. It will just go black screen for a second every once in a while then come back.

It doesn't do it very often but it does happen.

In my case I thought it was caused by the ribbon cable inside that connects the screen to the body of the laptop.

It makes me want to ask, do you still get the same problem if you use a different connection on your graphics card?

I don't know about the 980 but most cards often have several connections available on them.

1 hour ago, Kenpachi1985 said:

That sounds like something went wrong either while being shipped to the buyer or the buyer did something wrong - since it started happening at his place and never before while it was in your possession.

Maybe the cooler is not properly connected anymore (due to crappy shipping or mishandling by the buyer) and it heats up over time, resulting in a shut-down and restart of the GPU when reaching max temp. Have you checked temperatures? If thats the issue, you could try unmounting the cooler and use new thermal paste, then putting it back together and stress test it.

Okay so I tested it again. Looks like it  turns to a gray screen for a few seconds before the game shows back up and it doesn't seem to actually lose connection i.e. the connection doesn't display HDMI in the top when it comes back. It also never went past 76c so I don't think the temperature is the issue...

1 hour ago, Intergalacticbits said:

What is weird is that I have seen this on my laptop. It will just go black screen for a second every once in a while then come back.

It doesn't do it very often but it does happen.

In my case I thought it was caused by the ribbon cable inside that connects the screen to the body of the laptop.

It makes me want to ask, do you still get the same problem if you use a different connection on your graphics card?

I don't know about the 980 but most cards often have several connections available on them.

I think because i'm selling it I wouldn't like to have it so that they can't use hdmi if for some odd reason it's a hdmi port problem which would be weird to me

10 minutes ago, Arcaddia said:

I think because i'm selling it I wouldn't like to have it so that they can't use hdmi if for some odd reason it's a hdmi port problem which would be weird to me

Ok, I just thought it might help you rule out the connector on the card as the problem.

I was thinking physical damage or something cracked where the connection meets the graphics board.

I was just guessing that it might have possibly been just slightly damaged during the recent change of owners. Unhooking and hooking it up.