Making Ethernet Ports Work

TheAverageTechie88
Go to solution Solved by TheAverageTechie88,
21 hours ago, Samfisher said:

If they have an exit they should have an entry, where does all these connectors lead to?  If it's to the same spot in the living room or wherever your fibre comes in, just connect them all to a cheap switch and it's done.  In-wall ethernet are rarely ever connected to each other but they should all have a place where they all converge.  One side has to lead somewhere after all.

Their is no switch that I can see I think this is a copper line that comes into my home and the fiber only goes as far as the comms room downstairs is there anything you think I might be able to do ?

Hey Guys!, 

I recently moved into a house and got an FTTH connection (I live in Australia). My modem router sits in my room and is connected to an ethernet port in the wall. I also have two other ports (one for each room , I have three rooms) but they don't work. Now I have been told that this is so because these ethernet ports are not connected in any way and are completely individual for each other (The point being so I can have three separate internet connections) but it is a nuisance since I only have one connection. Now my apartment is very long causing Wi-Fi dead zones at at the extremities. I have been suggested to use a Wi-Fi range extender but fear the results will be not be good enough as they are more then 2 double brick walls between where the extender will be kept (one of the rooms on the other side) and the router. Therefore I thought the best bet was to make one of these Ethernet ports work so that I can attach a Net gear router I have lying around and get Wi-Fi that way. 

For reference I have attached the picture of what the ethernet ports look like. 

Any suggestions or solutions are appreciated and please do let me know of I posted this on the wrong thread as this is my first post in this forum 

Thanks!

Love from Australia 

20200123_192202.jpg

If they have an exit they should have an entry, where does all these connectors lead to?  If it's to the same spot in the living room or wherever your fibre comes in, just connect them all to a cheap switch and it's done.  In-wall ethernet are rarely ever connected to each other but they should all have a place where they all converge.  One side has to lead somewhere after all.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I think it's likely to be regular ol telephone cable with RJ45 connectors. Rip it open and see what the cable actually is, might just be a single pair of copper.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

I think it's likely to be regular ol telephone cable with RJ45 connectors. Rip it open and see what the cable actually is, might just be a single pair of copper.

well the cable the router is connected to is also the same and I have fiber optic so I dont think thats the case (please do correct me if I am wrong)

1 hour ago, NZgamer said:

That socket looks kinda old. but you might wanna use two routers, one as an extender and of course, one as the main router. And yes, you're right those range extenders do slow the connection down a bit. Maybe you'll want to investigate a bit more to see where the jacks lead to?

How would I do that? The other ports don't work I have tried attaching them to the netgear router I mentioned already

Thanks for the help!

21 hours ago, Samfisher said:

Their is no switch that I can see I think this is a copper line that comes into my home and the fiber only goes as far as the comms room downstairs is there anything you think I might be able to do ?

3 minutes ago, TheAverageTechie88 said:

You have to add your own switch.  Where does all the ethernet lead to?

6 hours ago, TheAverageTechie88 said:

From what you said at the start "so I can have three separate internet connections" I think you are right, they are all wired back to the comms room and out of your control.  Quite why you'd need a completely different connection in each room I have no idea, but clearly the building owners think so.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

17 hours ago, Samfisher said:

You have to add your own switch.  Where does all the ethernet lead to?

No idea :(

On 1/25/2020 at 7:13 AM, TheAverageTechie88 said:

No idea :(

There's an exit port but no other ports in the house that would indicate anything? o.O  Is it even wired up or is it just a port that isn't electrically connected to anything lol.