Undervolting Turing and Pascal GPU-s.

Vejnemojnen

I'll be brief. Came across some articles about the subject. (Both in german, though translator works like magic!)

Turing Undervolting  15% reduction in power consumption, while still applying overclock. Very friendly temperatures and power.

Undervolting: more FPS with less power

Turing UV tutorial via MSI afterbürner 8:38: [link] 

Resulting temperatures, fan speed, wattage: [link]

For me, it seems: UV-ing Turing is purely beneficial. Apart from reducing temperatures, noise and power, it can also (at least theoretically) prolong the life expectancy of GPU.

Any thoughts, remarks? Personal experiences? Why people usually don't bother with it? : )

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

I have a 2080ti, the voltage slider on various OC programs don’t do shit, voltage can’t be adjusted up or down at all.

I don’t really care because I’m already near max clock speed if I lower the voltage it won’t be stable.

I just use the sliders that do work, I’m at 2100mhz, don’t know the voltage, 350w (thermal limited to about 310w at 70 degrees).

3 minutes ago, Chen G said:

I have a 2080ti, the voltage slider on various OC programs don’t do shit, voltage can’t be adjusted up or down at all.

you are doing something wrong ... Tried it with 2080ti (MSI Gaming X trio), and it just worked. 5 celsius degree improvement in operating temperatures, lower fan speed on average.

9 minutes ago, Vejnemojnen said:

you are doing something wrong ... Tried it with 2080ti (MSI Gaming X trio), and it just worked. 5 celsius degree improvement in operating temperatures, lower fan speed on average.

I have the MSI seahawk EK X, should be the same PCB as the gaming x trio. I don’t mess with the settings any more but when I got it I tried everything, afterburner, EVGA precision, they don’t affect the voltage a single bit.

Nothing personal but I find your report untrustworthy because 5 degree difference is well within margin of error for a regular user.

1 minute ago, Chen G said:

I have the MSI seahawk EK X, should be the same PCB as the gaming x trio. I don’t mess with the settings any more but when I got it I tried everything, afterburner, SEVGA precision, they don’t affect the voltage a single bit.

Nothing personal but I find your report untrustworthy because 5 degree difference is well within margin of error for a regular user.

Not just personal, others reported similar results. Have you tried it the way it is shown in the video? 

1 minute ago, Vejnemojnen said:

Not just personal, others reported similar results. Have you tried it the way it is shown in the video? 

I’ll try that later when I get home. It hard to tell because these things change frequencies and therefore voltages all the time, so first I need a method to know if there is any difference.

1 minute ago, Chen G said:

I’ll try that later when I get home. It hard to tell because these things change frequencies and therefore voltages all the time, so first I need a method to know if there is any difference.

Just another handy material on the topic: It should work this way... Good luck

I just tried and it actually works...

The voltage slider still doesn't do shit but the graph thing does, who wouldn't known? I didn't even know this graph interface existed until now.

I don't get why they have to make these overclock software UI so god awful, what's wrong with just plain white window with sliders? 

Ok so I messed about with the thing, quickly drew my own curve, here's what I found:

• Stock: 1960mhz, 300w, 1.050v
  • Overclock: 2070Mhz, 350w, 1.050v
  • Custom Curve: 2010mhz, 260w, 0.931v

Almost same performance but much lower power consumption, which is to be expected when you undervolt.

However what I don't get is what's preventing my custom curve profile from going any higher? I made the curve go all the way up to 2300mhz at 1.2v but it won't actually go there. Why does it stop at 0.931v?

1 hour ago, Chen G said:

I just tried and it actually works...

The voltage slider still doesn't do shit but the graph thing does, who wouldn't known? I didn't even know this graph interface existed until now.

I don't get why they have to make these overclock software UI so god awful, what's wrong with just plain white window with sliders? 

Ok so I messed about with the thing, quickly drew my own curve, here's what I found:

Almost same performance but much lower power consumption, which is to be expected when you undervolt.

However what I don't get is what's preventing my custom curve profile from going any higher? I made the curve go all the way up to 2300mhz at 1.2v but it won't actually go there. Why does it stop at 0.931v?

the power draw at 1.2v at 2300mhz would be way higher than 300w, from what i've seen the most efficient range for these cards are actually around 225-275w, depending on cooling with optimized voltages/frequencies.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

47 minutes ago, xg32 said:

the power draw at 1.2v at 2300mhz would be way higher than 300w, from what i've seen the most efficient range for these cards are actually around 225-275w, depending on cooling with optimized voltages/frequencies.

I know, but my TDP max should be at 400w

I'm not thermal limited either, it's at 65 degrees.

Being able to define a complete frequency/voltage curve means you can get the best efficiency when you don't need max performance, but also max performance when you do need it.

10 hours ago, Chen G said:

so , basically higher clock speed than Stock, but still lower wattage&voltage. Nice. How were the temperatures? Or fan speed on average?

Unfortunately my card is voltage limited 

vrel vop in gpuz 

so I use the graph to force card to run at 1.093v 

2055mhz

im sure I could get say 1900mhx stable at .975v

but my card only hits 55c with my oc and I don’t care for the lower power draw 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

6 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Unfortunately my card is voltage limited 

vrel vop in gpuz 

so I use the graph to force card to run at 1.093v 

2055mhz

im sure I could get say 1900mhx stable at .975v

but my card only hits 55c with my oc and I don’t care for the lower power draw 

well, on stock voltage settings I'd try to OC the GPU as much as possible. :) 

Just now, Vejnemojnen said:

well, on stock voltage settings I'd try to OC the GPU as much as possible. :) 

Stock settings I can get 1980mhz  stable but voltage flicks from 1.025 to 1.68 

I have a profile for 1.068v and 2020mhz stable that I mostly use because I don’t see the point in running a full balls to the wall of 24/7 because the FPS difference is like 1 if your lucky

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

7 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

so , basically higher clock speed than Stock, but still lower wattage&voltage. Nice. How were the temperatures? Or fan speed on average?

Well higher clock and lower voltage than stock is to be expected due to how much headroom they leave for mass produced chips.

If only the software isn't so ass I might be able to make every power state much better. I cannot simply because the interface is way too hard to use, I adjust some points and sometimes it changes the entire graph when I hit apply, sometimes the displayed graph is not the same as what the GPU actually follows, sometimes when I hit apply it just reverts back to before.

I'm running on a custom loop so temperatures aren't going to be comparable with others.

@Buksi a topik kezdő hozzászólásában találsz Invidia Turing tutorialokat.

Igen, érdemes megcsinálni, több celsiusfokot, wattot spórolsz, halkabb és hűvösebb lesz a kártya, kevesebbet fog zabálni, s még az elhasználódása is kisebb lesz. Extra gány saját tartalmat citálni, de ez van : )

"same in english", as they say. I only said something about why it worth the tweaking. An undervolted GPU will run a tad bit cooler, on less power, sometimes even quieter. So, if one can spare some time...