Help finding RGB fans with 4 pin connectors

waterjug
Go to solution Solved by waterjug,
51 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Oh, just realised I actually have some... inwin polaris ones, they have a PWM cable + the rgb one that plugs into your mobo, LOL :D

I searched up inwin polaris and in the "similar items" section I found exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

I'm searching on Amazon for RGB fans but they all have proprietary connectors, where can i find RGB fans under $50 that have a standard 4-pin RGB connector? 

linus sex tips

30 minutes ago, waterjug said:

I'm searching on Amazon for RGB fans but they all have proprietary connectors, where can i find RGB fans under $50 that have a standard 4-pin RGB connector? 

Heh. “Standard”. For RGB.  It’s so very much worse.  Most RGB fans have two whole cables.  One (which is a standard 4 pin pwm) is for just the fan part.  There’s another entire cable which has a proprietary connector for the RGB bit.  There are “lighted fans” which have just one standard 4 pin but they don’t change color.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Heh. “Standard”. For RGB.  It’s so very much worse.  Most RGB fans have two whole cables.  One (which is a standard 4 pin pwm) is for just the fan part.  There’s another entire cable which has a proprietary connector for the RGB bit.  There are “lighted fans” which have just one standard 4 pin but they don’t change color.

Yeah, exactly what I was going to say. It's a shame, but you kinda have to pick a proprietary one that you might want to have for a while as it's a fair amount of investment just for some lights on your fans... also doesn't reflect how good the fans are either. TBH I would probably skip the RGB fans altogether and get some decent fans that match whether you want quiet/high airflow etc, and get some RGB strips instead that plug straight into your mobo and can control via bios/software.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Oh, just realised I actually have some... inwin polaris ones, they have a PWM cable + the rgb one that plugs into your mobo, LOL :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Win-Polaris-RGB-Twin-Pack/dp/B075W33DVF/

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The RGB coolermaster fans that came with my case have 2 connectors, one for power, and the other a standard 4-pin RGB connector. I'm looking for a similar kind.

linus sex tips

2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Yeah, exactly what I was going to say. It's a shame, but you kinda have to pick a proprietary one that you might want to have for a while as it's a fair amount of investment just for some lights on your fans... also doesn't reflect how good the fans are either. TBH I would probably skip the RGB fans altogether and get some decent fans that match whether you want quiet/high airflow etc, and get some RGB strips instead that plug straight into your mobo and can control via bios/software.

There are also a few systems where the rgb and the fan are separated, which imho is much less stupid than integrating them.  You buy this ring plate that mounts to the fan or the fan to it possibly, depending.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, waterjug said:

The RGB coolermaster fans that came with my case have 2 connectors, one for power, and the other a standard 4-pin RGB connector. I'm looking for a similar kind.

cooler master likely only works with cooler master.  Maybe not even all coolermaster.  It’s a nightmare.  They’re possibly not even “standard” at all.

The only “standard”. I know of for RGB is the one designed for home lighting which all manufacturers could easily use but avoid like the plague because they want their “ecosystem” where you have to buy all the rest of their stuff.  They’re all the same four wires (except one which tired to do a 5 wire) but what they do is swap the cables around in this frantic attempt to avoid interoperability.  Recently there have been ones that abandon the mini molex that every other industry uses for the same thing and start making their own connectors.  Mini molex can be hand wired using a pin to unbind the connectors though so you could theoretically turn any proprietary fan into standard by cutting the connector off and adding a mini molex.

51 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I searched up inwin polaris and in the "similar items" section I found exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

linus sex tips