(Update: announcement imminent) A new generation of thermal throttle - new intel laptop chip found

williamcll
51 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yet another definition of terms issue.  These keep on coming up.

Unfortunately the problem is not the definition, but the lack of education on the part of the people posting.  that is not meant to sound like an insult, it's just reality, we can't be well educated in everything, especially when that education is not formal. 

I guess people don't realize that there is an entire study behind most of this stuff.  People think because they read about it on the internet or they are interested in a part of it that they understand it. Whatever it is be it biology, politics, CPU design, stock trading, etc.   When it comes to things like TDP and Electronic design principals I have a formal education, I understand how these things work and I can see in the comments that a lot of what people claim to be the case is basically regurgitated internet opinions that lack qualification and foundation.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 1/20/2020 at 4:09 PM, mr moose said:

For those of us who had to set everything manually (no software to do it for you) then test then reset and retest and so on, Throttling has a different connotation.

Am I like missing out on some wonderful form of overclocking where you don’t have to mess with the voltage and clock speed!? And everything’s done for you!?

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

5 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

Am I like missing out on some wonderful form of overclocking where you don’t have to mess with the voltage and clock speed!? And everything’s done for you!?

apparently.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 minutes ago, mr moose said:

apparently.

I’m probably gonna stick with manual adjusting, its seems so much more rewarding than clicking a button.

AMD blackout rig

8 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

I’m probably gonna stick with manual adjusting, its seems so much more rewarding than clicking a button.

I'm so over how everything is these days, OC'ing used to be a challenge, trying to shoehorn the best cooler into your case was standard, being jealous because the other bloke had a custom loop and your case was still beige.  Case modding was an art form not a bunch of premade RGB devices.   Windowed sides were cool not compulsory. 

I want to go back to my xp1800 and try to get it above 3Ghz.  That is a challenge. It serves no purpose but I feel that is something to brag about, a challenge where success is the reward not a better synthetic score.

32 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I want to go back to my xp1800 and try to get it above 3Ghz.  That is a challenge. It serves no purpose but I feel that is something to brag about, a challenge where success is the reward not a better synthetic score.

And when that 3ghz actually increased performance a hell of a lot.

I don’t think a lot of people realize just how far we’ve come to be able to click a button and get an overclock, sure it’s easy but they will never experience the joy of spending hours trying to break those barriers (or trying to figure out shitty bios.) it’s all based on the silicon lottery and some software now :(

i still feel accomplished getting to a stable 4.4ghz in my 3600 though.

AMD blackout rig

20 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

And when that 3ghz actually increased performance a hell of a lot.

I don’t think a lot of people realize just how far we’ve come to be able to click a button and get an overclock, sure it’s easy but they will never experience the joy of spending hours trying to break those barriers (or trying to figure out shitty bios.) it’s all based on the silicon lottery and some software now :(

i still feel accomplished getting to a stable 4.4ghz in my 3600 though.

my 3600 just sits at stock, haven't even bothered.  I might when I start video editing or some other heavy load just to see if I can tell a difference.  But as it sits now I just don't have the enthusiasm for it anymore.

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

my 3600 just sits at stock, haven't even bothered.  I might when I start video editing or some other heavy load just to see if I can tell a difference.  But as it sits now I just don't have the enthusiasm for it anymore.

Or the need, really. Not to mention by overclocking, you're actually limiting CPU's capability to reach high single thread clocks. You may gain tiny bit when all cores are under load, but even there, we're usually talking 100-200MHz differences. I frankly don't think it's worth it, especially since there are also settings that make CPU up the clocks more freely, possibly gaining that ground all by itself or so close it's just not worth it.

My CPU, the old clunker 5820K still needs manual "persuasion" to reach 4.5GHz, but GeForce GTX 1080Ti on the other hand, factory stock reaches clocks around 1950MHz under load. Even with overclocking and raised power limits, I'm not really gaining much as it only seems to increase initial clock boost which then quickly trickles down to same 1950MHz as things warm up and I just don't want to push fan higher because I value silence more than those few extra MHz...

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

but the lack of education on the part of the people posting

To be fair Intel isnt that forthcoming about it either. They just describe what TDP is but i didnt seen them mentioning that it is measured on base clock....

/OFF

Fellor OC-er here, 4670k@4.5 GHz, currently saving up for GPU block and one more 360x360 rad.....

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

To be fair Intel isnt that forthcoming about it either. They just describe what TDP is but i didnt seen them mentioning that it is measured on base clock....

/OFF

Fellor OC-er here, 4670k@4.5 GHz, currently saving up for GPU block and one more 360x360 rad.....

If you click the question mark next to TDP on the ark page for a CPU it tells you this:

Thermal Design Power (TDP) represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency with all cores active under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload. Refer to Datasheet for thermal solution requirements.

e.g

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/186605/intel-core-i9-9900k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

it is also covered more thoroughly on the product sheets and white papers for system designers.  

It seems a local MSI store leaked out some details about their refreshed GS stealth, however the store link is down at the moment:

As tipped by leaker @momomo_us, an online Hong Kong retailer, which appears to be an authorized MSI distributor, has listed the MSI GS66 Stealth 10SG gaming laptop with an estimated arrival date of May. With these specs, the machine is looking like it'll be one of the best gaming laptops in MSI's arsenal. AMD Ryzen 4000-powered laptops are starting to hit the shelves of many U.S. retailers. It's now on Intel to prove if its 10th Generation Comet Lake-H army can fend off AMD's 7nm APUs

According to the Hong Kong listing, the GS66 Stealth 10SG measures 14.1 x 9.8 x 0.8 inches (358.3 x 248 x 19.8mm) and weighs up to 4.6 pounds (2.1kg). The laptop packs a 15.6-inch panel with 1080p resolution and an impressive 300 Hz refresh rate and 3ms response time. The device uses a Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super Max-Q graphics card, which should be more than enough to push those frame rates at that resolution. The graphics card offers a whopping 3,072 CUDA cores and 8GB of GDDR6 memory at 14 Gbps.On the CPU side, the laptop is listed with an Intel Core i9-10980HK, which retains the same 8-core, 16-thread configuration as the previous i9-9980HK. Intel has probably pushed its 14nm process node to the max by now. Instead of adding more cores, the chipmaker can only push for higher operating clocks. The i9-10980HK appears to come with a 2.5 GHz base clock and a 5.3 GHz Thermal Velocity Boost (TVB) clock.

MSI GS66 Stealth 10SGS

MSI GS66 Stealth 10SGS (Image credit: MSI HK Authorized Store)

Configurations can vary by region, but this particular model is outfitted with two 16GB sticks of DDR4-2666 RAM and a 2TB PCIe M.2 SSD. The laptop conveniently provides two SODIMM DDR4 memory slots, so you can rock up to 64GB of memory. There are also two M.2 slots, making it possible to run a RAID 0 array on the laptop. The GS66 Stealth 10SGS is said to ship with MSI's robust CoolerBoost Trinity+ cooling system. It transfers heat from the processor and graphics card via seven heatpipes and dissipates it with three cooling fans. MSI claims an uplift of 15% in airflow compared to previous designs. Being a gamer-oriented product, MSI is apparently attempting to implement one of the best gaming keyboards in its laptop by calling in SteelSeries and per-key RGB lighting. Other noteworthy attributes include a four-cell, 99 Whr battery, dual Dynaudio Duo Wave 2W speakers, Killer E3100 Gigabit and WiFi 6 AX1650 DoubleShot Pro networking. Connectivity-wise, the GS66 Stealth 10SGS provides one HDMI 2.0 port, one Thunderbolt 3 port, one USB 3.2 Type-C port and two USB 3.2 Type-A ports.

The GS66 Stealth 10SGS is listed for 32,999 Hong Kong dollars (HKD), which converts to roughly $4,255. Hardware is normally more expensive overseas, so you can consider the shop's pricing a worst-case scenario of what we could expect in the U.S.

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-gs66-stealth-10sgs-gaming-laptop

https://lyle611430.shoplineapp.com/

https://twitter.com/ASUS_ROG_FR

Also from tom's hardware: specs comparison: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-10th-gen-comet-lake-h-specs

image.png.db868bf124cd49d361f1cd89a5521ac8.png

I'll probably start a new thread once the official reviews come out.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition