Windows update problem, please help

lexidobe
Go to solution Solved by homeap5,

Read description on Microsoft website about that updates - some updates needs other updates to be installed first.

And make sure that services needed for installing updates are set to auto and running - Background Intelligent Transfer Service, Windows Update, Windows Firewall.

Hello everyone, I am having a problem with my Windows 7 updates. I need to install updates number KB4516065 and KB4535102, but I am getting error 80092004 every time I try to install the updates. Here is what I tried so far: 

Running Disk Cleanup 

Running CCleaner 

Ensuring that Windows Update service is running

Downloading the updates directly from the Microsoft Update catalog. 

Nothing worked though, I am still getting the error. If anyone has any other suggestions that I could try please let me know though. Thanks a lot in advance

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what hardware are you running??

Relly upgrade to windows 10, why are you running 7?

I don't like Windows 10. I don't want an OS that spies on me, can't be customized as much, downloads a bunch of crapware apps in the background, advertises for a bunch of nonsense in the start menu, looks like an OS that would be running on a child's toy, and most importantly isn't stable or reliable. I have been using Windows 7 on one system or another since it came out in 2009 and I have NEVER had it fail to boot, and I have crashed it PLENTY of times from failed overclocking attempts and other issues. On the other hand, in less than 1 year of using Windows 10, I have had to reinstall it TWICE because it corrupted itself and couldn't boot after failed overclocking attempts. Blame me for overclocking if you want to, but Windows 7 tolerated the crashing without any issues for many years and Windows 10 failed me twice in less than a year, so therefore Windows 7 is the more robust OS in my opinion.

Here are my system's specs: 

• CPU
    Intel Core i7 6850K
  • Motherboard
    Asus X99 Deluxe
  • RAM
    2 X 8GB G Skill Tritent Z RGB 3200 MHz
  • GPU
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW with EK FC waterblock @ 1617mhz
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
  • Storage
    Samsung 960 Pro NVME 512GB
  • PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000
  • Display(s)
    Samsung 4K TV
  • Cooling
    Custom loop
  • Operating System
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

1 minute ago, lexidobe said:

I don't want an OS that spies on me,

Windows 7 does this aswell and you cn turn it off in 10

Really, you need to upgrade to 10 or linux or osx, 7 isn't supported any more, and you will lose third party app support and game support soon.

ALso 10 is faster, and more secure. Seems like a lot of your issues with 10 are unlucky or user error. I admin a lot of 10 systems, with none of these issues.

Windows 7 spies on you as well. they added it with updates. 

either switch to Linux or use a modern version of Windows. 

She/Her

It's always those that fuck around with things too much that break Windows. I've had no issues since I stopped farting around with things and just used the machine as intended.

If you think that MS has never snook things back into Windows hidden in patches and security fixes then you've not been looking that hard.

I think they did it with XP, the WGA checker was bundled with a general security patch and deactivated loads of machines, mostly genuine installations.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions to upgrade to Windows 10, but I actually already have Windows 10 LTSC along with Windows 7, I dual booted my system. The LTSC version of Windows 10 is quite a bit more tolerable than the regular versions, but I still end up using Windows 7 most of the time though. So I would appreciate suggestions on how I can get my Windows 7 updates to work rather than simply suggesting that I upgrade to Windows 10. Thanks in advance

Read description on Microsoft website about that updates - some updates needs other updates to be installed first.

And make sure that services needed for installing updates are set to auto and running - Background Intelligent Transfer Service, Windows Update, Windows Firewall.

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

Thank you so much for your help! I needed to manually install another update from the Microsoft update catalog before I could install these updates. I have no idea why Windows Update didn't take care of that on its own, but either way I am glad that my system is up to date now.

I'm happy that it helps.

Thanks for mark as "best answer". Sad that there is no "the only answer" option. I'm wondering why nobody even try to help but prefer to repeat "install win10". It's not the answer for OP question. I like win10, but if question is about win7, then answer should be about win7.

But people are right about spying. It's not that Microsoft knows what you're doing on your computer. Microsoft collect data to better know HOW lot of people using computers. If 100000 people click on "Your Phone" then it has more sense to focus on that app. If thousand of people search for the same thing in Cortana, then Microsoft may improve some functionality or add new functions. They really don't care what YOU're, single person, doing on your PC.

LOT of programs "calling home" - you may check that if you install Comodo Firewall (for example). It's just what people write their code. It's easier when programmer knows that, for example, only 5 people install his software. Then he may focus on something more interesting. Firefox, for example, makes "Helo" extension, which was very nice imo. But after few versions, they remove it - not because they guessing, but because they knew that only 0.01% of people uses that functionality. The same was in Opera 12 - they removes few really nice features, included website hosting on your own computer in simplest way (even behind firewall) or IRC client. Opera Mail, one of the best email client (still on many "top email client" lists) is no longer available even for download, because SOMEHOW (guess how) they know that almost nobody uses it (which is sad, because their indexed search was extremely fast and better made than in commercial eM Client for example, which is very similar btw). So all that "collecting data" is true, but not the way you think it is done. Nobody hires thousand of people to analyze single users activity. It has no sense, these companies are not intelligence agencies, they're software developers.

49 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

I'm happy that it helps.

Thanks for mark as "best answer". Sad that there is no "the only answer" option. I'm wondering why nobody even try to help but prefer to repeat "install win10". It's not the answer for OP question. I like win10, but if question is about win7, then answer should be about win7.

But people are right about spying. It's not that Microsoft knows what you're doing on your computer. Microsoft collect data to better know HOW lot of people using computers. If 100000 people click on "Your Phone" then it has more sense to focus on that app. If thousand of people search for the same thing in Cortana, then Microsoft may improve some functionality or add new functions. They really don't care what YOU're, single person, doing on your PC.

LOT of programs "calling home" - you may check that if you install Comodo Firewall (for example). It's just what people write their code. It's easier when programmer knows that, for example, only 5 people install his software. Then he may focus on something more interesting. Firefox, for example, makes "Helo" extension, which was very nice imo. But after few versions, they remove it - not because they guessing, but because they knew that only 0.01% of people uses that functionality. The same was in Opera 12 - they removes few really nice features, included website hosting on your own computer in simplest way (even behind firewall) or IRC client. Opera Mail, one of the best email client (still on many "top email client" lists) is no longer available even for download, because SOMEHOW (guess how) they know that almost nobody uses it (which is sad, because their indexed search was extremely fast and better made than in commercial eM Client for example, which is very similar btw). So all that "collecting data" is true, but not the way you think it is done. Nobody hires thousand of people to analyze single users activity. It has no sense, these companies are not intelligence agencies, they're software developers.

I agree about the privacy problems, you really can't escape it no matter what you do. And even though Microsoft isn't watching me specifically, they are still using up my data and network bandwidth, which I will have a problem with until they start paying me to test their software for them. 

However, as I stated, that is one of many reasons I don't like Windows 10. From my experiences, it is a delicate OS and is easy to damage or corrupt. I also don't like how Microsoft attempts to take so much control away from the user, like by not easily allowing them to remove the default crapware apps, no easy way to disable Windows Defender, etc. And once I finally got all their crapware apps removed, they still continue to advertize for them in the start menu, which really pisses me off. But even worse, the crapware apps come right back! If I wanted Candy Crush and all that other crap I wouldn't have deleted it! 

And yes, I am aware of ways around a lot of this stuff. However, I shouldn't have to go through all that! I have a big problem with Microsoft trying to force their crap on the users. And the worst part is that none of the fixes that I know of are permanent! After an update, everything is back to default and I have to do it all over again! It's like I have to fight the OS to keep it set up the way I want it! 

I know that a lot of people like Windows 10, but I am not one of them. It doesn't do anything for me that Windows 7 doesn't and I found it to be a lot more problematic and less user friendly. Also, I know that this is just personal preference, but I prefer the look and UI of Windows 7 over 10. To me, it feels like more of a serious and professional OS than Windows 10, which to me looks like something that would be running on a child's toy by comparison. 

However, Windows 10 LTSC is a lot more tolerable than the consumer versions in my opinion. It doesn't have the crapware problem and is a bit easier to customize, but I am not sure how it's reliability compares to 7 since I haven't used it that much. However, there's that little problem of not being able to legally activate it, so it isn't a viable option for most people.

Edited by lexidobe

1. Win10 is not that easy to damage or corrupt. You may read many posts about problems or people complaiins about how they must reinstall system every month or so, but they're just ingorants or repeating myths from other people like them. My win10 has over 3 years without reinstallation, with lot of installed programs and tools, with lot of my settings and works perfectly even after hardware change. Magic? No, just how it is.

2. Most of my chages stays permanent. Defender is something I don't use for years and after I disabled it, it stays disabled. Ok, sometimes you must change some option again after upgrade, but it's not that hard, it just requires some tools to made it easy. Is it fighting with system? Well, yes it is, but win7 has similar problems too.

3. You can keep all your settings as long as you stop trying to reinstalling / fresh installing system every... anytime. Win10 has lot of options and tricks and the more you use it - the better it is. Win10 on other people computers annoy me as hell, but my own copy - I see not big difference between it and win7. And I also liked win7.

4. That crap Microsoft installs may be useful sometimes. I wasn't use UWP applications, but now I'm using "Your Phone" for example - and I discover it's really nice. And Messenger - another nice app. And few more. So - sometimes is worth to try something and leave old habits behind.

3 hours ago, homeap5 said:

1. Win10 is not that easy to damage or corrupt. You may read many posts about problems or people complaiins about how they must reinstall system every month or so, but they're just ingorants or repeating myths from other people like them. My win10 has over 3 years without reinstallation, with lot of installed programs and tools, with lot of my settings and works perfectly even after hardware change. Magic? No, just how it is.

2. Most of my chages stays permanent. Defender is something I don't use for years and after I disabled it, it stays disabled. Ok, sometimes you must change some option again after upgrade, but it's not that hard, it just requires some tools to made it easy. Is it fighting with system? Well, yes it is, but win7 has similar problems too.

. You can keep all your settings as long as you stop trying to reinstalling / fresh installing system every... anytime. Win10 has lot of options and tricks and the more you use it - the better it is. Win10 on other people computers annoy me as hell, but my own copy - I see not big difference between it and win7. And I also liked win7.

4. That crap Microsoft installs may be useful sometimes. I wasn't use UWP applications, but now I'm using "Your Phone" for example - and I discover it's really nice. And Messenger - another nice app. And few more. So - sometimes is worth to try something and leave old habits behind.

1. Maybe I was just unlucky then. Also, I suppose it is possible that Windows 10 has gotten more stable over time.

2. Now that I think about it, Windows kept telling me that I didn't have an antivirus program even though I did, so maybe Windows kept turning Defender back on because it didn't realize that I had an antivirus, not sure.

3. That hasn't been my experience. My experience has been that every time the system updates it changed settings. One of the most annoying things it did was it kept changing my default browser from Chrome to Edge after updating. Again, maybe this issue has been fixed.

4. You have a valid point that Microsoft's crap may be useful and some people may like it. However, if someone tries it and doesn't like it or they just don't want it, they should have the option to get rid of it. And if the user does choose to delete it, it should NOT come back. The system also should NOT be downloading crapware like Candy Crush Saga in the background or advertising for this stuff in the start menu. The reason they do that has nothing to do with what their customers may or may not like, it has everything to do with getting money from the developers of those apps.

About 4: you can disable automatic updates of uwp programs. I have very long list of programs that wait for update and I manually update only few of them from time to time (Your Phone, Messenger, Netflix etc.). So the more you'll use win 10 - the more tricks you discover and after few weeks (months) your system will be what you like.

Also - my default browser remains the same after update (other programs too).

You have lot of useful registry entries. And I agree that Microsoft don't give you GUI for them, but Microsoft is not the only company that makes programs. Oo ShutUp 10, Stop resetting my apps etc. - these tools are basically for made some interesting settings in registry using graphics interface. There is no reason why you cannot use system with 3rd party tools for configuration. As I said - Microsoft is not the only company that creates software. People complain about start menu missing in win8 - even if you have few very good alternatives on internet ready to download and install. For some reason people can install alternative player for movies and don't complain, but can't use alternative start menu. Strange.