Adobe After Effects issues on Brand New Computer Build

drkhalo296
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

Runs at 3.6fps here on 9900K with about 40% CPU use, GPU isn't used much. Speed goes down when RAM is full with AE using more than 21GB just for itself.

First off, several hours of building and I am finally done in the AM! X.x

The Specs:

Ryzen 3700X

Asrock X570 Taichi 

64 gb of Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 mhz ram ( 2 sticks)

Corsair H100i Platinum Water Cooler

Samsung 970 Evo NVME SSD

Seagate Barracuda 4TB Hard Drive

Nvidia RTX 4000 

The Build was designed to be a workstation for one of my friends whos a Graphics Designer (she uses the whole Adobe Suite) and wanted to get something that wasnt a Mac and would be similar price to what she was looking for ( Budget was 3 Grand. We got all the parts on sale during the holidays)

After doing about a month of research beforehand (seeing that a Mac was still the recommendation for this use case) we still went with this Rig because she was worried about support issues with Mac and the ungodly amount of money people spend to fix their problems from what we had seen and read online. 

Now to the heart of the topic. After firing up Adobe After Effects and loading a sample file to test the capabilities of the hardware, the results were.... not ideal to say the least. 

The scene was set to run at 1080p 24 fps.

What it was actually running at in real time was 3fps. 

I spent most of the morning pouring through forums online trying to make sense of all this. I built this machine hoping it was gonna be amazing and blow my friends expectations out of the water. After months of work and all that money and time spent.... did I just waste my friends time? Did I steer her wrong? Would a Mac have been better than building her a PC? Im just tired and confused friends of LMG Forums.... let me know your thoughts on this matter...

20200118_202016.jpg

20200118_202012.jpg

20200118_202004.jpg

20200118_201959.jpg

firt of all place ur graphic card in the first slot , its the highest speed slot . then have u correctly installed all driver ? i have the same build except the motherboard and a i5 9600k and havent any issue (i also have a rtx 2080 in it and whenever i use any of the 2 graphic card everything work fine)

37 minutes ago, Rxkvn07 said:

firt of all place ur graphic card in the first slot , its the highest speed slot . then have u correctly installed all driver ? i have the same build except the motherboard and a i5 9600k and havent any issue (i also have a rtx 2080 in it and whenever i use any of the 2 graphic card everything work fine)

Thanks!

As for drivers, i installed the drivers for the motherboard, graphics card, ssd, and a bunch if other drivers for the lights and controllers. Unless I'm missing something?

49 minutes ago, drkhalo296 said:

Thanks!

As for drivers, i installed the drivers for the motherboard, graphics card, ssd, and a bunch if other drivers for the lights and controllers. Unless I'm missing something?

Sorry for the late answer , normally everything should be ok , try to run some benchmark for both gpu and cpu maybe u will find if its a hardware issue 

Also i just remember that , dont the computer use the integrated graphic card instead of the rtx 4000 ?

11 minutes ago, Rxkvn07 said:

Also i just remember that , dont the computer use the integrated graphic card instead of the rtx 4000 ?

I don't think Ryzen has integrated graphics I'll have to double check. No worries though! I appreciate your responses =D

Im gonna keep trying

1 hour ago, drkhalo296 said:

I don't think Ryzen has integrated graphics I'll have to double check. No worries though! I appreciate your responses =D

Im gonna keep trying

yeah just seen that one doesnt have integrated graphic , anyway try some benchmark

For the Adobe suite an Intel CPU with integrated graphics (in addition to the graphics card of course) would probably have been a better choice since their video apps make good use of the Intel Quicksync extensions.

And obviously you want as high end a CPU as you possibly can. 

What test scene was it? Depending on the complexity it could be very much normal. Running an AE comp realtime is almost never a thing regardless of power.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

@Kilrah

It was a free test scene I had found online but I wasnt able to find it again... 

it had 8 different bars on the lower part of the preview (Sorry I am not technically inclined with Adobe anything lol...)

@Rxkvn07

I tried some more benchmarks before I conked out (13 hours working on this machine. about 7 for the build and 6 pulling my hair out trying to figure this thing out with the preview LOL) and it seems that everything is running as it should be in terms of hardware. No issues with missing software. Its all running the latest Bios. 

@Kilrah

The only reason I had picked a Ryzen setup was because it had a high core count and it technically was on par ( or so I thought) with Intels offerings at a lower price. This was after a month or so of researching different articles online just regarding picking the hardware necessary for a Graphic Design Machine. Ultimately what I had understood was that the biggest things were High Core Count, High capacity of Ram, a fast primary hard drive (NVME) with a Large Secondary Storage, and a good graphics card (With Quadro's technically being the best). For a Mac I had understood they offer alot of these things but at a much higher premium (not to mention if something breaks your paying out the nose for repairs or replacing your machine.) Going Intel at the time was almost 500-600 bucks more and reading more into it the performance should be similar to an Intel. Was I mistaken for picking an AMD System? Will this system I built for my friend not be "Optimal" for projects and such that she wants to do outside of work? They use Mac's at work and she said that even with this program she runs into the same issues as we currently are with AE Previews not running in Real Time. I would just feel awful if I had wasted her money and working on all this when she should have bought a Mac you know. 

19 minutes ago, drkhalo296 said:

@Kilrah

It was a free test scene I had found online but I wasnt able to find it again... 

it had 8 different bars on the lower part of the preview (Sorry I am not technically inclined with Adobe anything lol...)

@Rxkvn07

I tried some more benchmarks before I conked out (13 hours working on this machine. about 7 for the build and 6 pulling my hair out trying to figure this thing out with the preview LOL) and it seems that everything is running as it should be in terms of hardware. No issues with missing software. Its all running the latest Bios. 

@Kilrah

The only reason I had picked a Ryzen setup was because it had a high core count and it technically was on par ( or so I thought) with Intels offerings at a lower price. This was after a month or so of researching different articles online just regarding picking the hardware necessary for a Graphic Design Machine. Ultimately what I had understood was that the biggest things were High Core Count, High capacity of Ram, a fast primary hard drive (NVME) with a Large Secondary Storage, and a good graphics card (With Quadro's technically being the best). For a Mac I had understood they offer alot of these things but at a much higher premium (not to mention if something breaks your paying out the nose for repairs or replacing your machine.) Going Intel at the time was almost 500-600 bucks more and reading more into it the performance should be similar to an Intel. Was I mistaken for picking an AMD System? Will this system I built for my friend not be "Optimal" for projects and such that she wants to do outside of work? They use Mac's at work and she said that even with this program she runs into the same issues as we currently are with AE Previews not running in Real Time. I would just feel awful if I had wasted her money and working on all this when she should have bought a Mac you know. 

benchmark ur graphic card with heaven unigine ( fastest download) or try 3dmark

11 minutes ago, Rxkvn07 said:

benchmark ur graphic card with heaven unigine ( fastest download) or try 3dmark

Ill give it a shot and get back to ya

I gotta sleep so Ill check again tomorrow when I get up. 

THanks for all your help so far!

7 minutes ago, drkhalo296 said:

I gotta sleep so Ill check again tomorrow when I get up. 

THanks for all your help so far!

running just perfectly fine for me , using only 20% cpu , around 15 to 20% gpu and 11gb of ram

Runs at 3.6fps here on 9900K with about 40% CPU use, GPU isn't used much. Speed goes down when RAM is full with AE using more than 21GB just for itself.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

So it sounds like this is just normal then for this specific sample? I appreciate all your guy's help with this