what's the cheapest (and decent) laptop with windows?

Lii

what's the cheapest (and decent) laptop that you can get with windows?

the use will be just googling around, streaming and other "basic" uses

Depends on your budget and frankly, if you're on a tight one, buy USED. You can save hundreds of dollars on a "top of the line" laptop from 2 or 3 years ago, that will outperform any new laptop in the price range of the used ones.... Unless you go extremely low for the budget, in which case, used or new, you're getting garbage. (Think Core 2 Duo kind of garbage that crazy people are still selling for over 100$ in some places when really, you should be the one getting paid to even accept such piece of garbage in 2020)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

A Chromebook would be perfect for basic needs

I can confirm this. I got myself a used Asus Chromebook for 315$(worth 700$ new), the battery life is AMAZING even though it's used. (I think I got lucky... latest Chrome build was v68 on it...which came out in 2018, meaning it just sat on a shelf until the day I bought it last week).
I played a 10 hours youtube video on it, medium brightness and wifi enabled(the way I'd use it anyway), after 5 hours the battery was down to 49%. Which means it consumed about 10% per hour of video playback, which is quite good and is incredible for school works that really only needs Google Docs half of the time. (For the other half, I just installed Teamviewer(couldn't be arsed with proper remote desktop... no clue how to do so with Windows 10 pro and their "add a user" bullshit), to remote into my desktop PC and access the full LibreOffice suite and other such softwares like Photoshop, that wouldn't run on a chromebook usually.)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

For those purposes?  I would guess some kind of older used machine.  Those are all very low power tasks.  A two core with internal graphics could handle it.  If that is a route to take you’re talking specs not models. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, NZgamer said:

Get something real cheap from a local PC shop. Anything really will do what you want to do but Windows is gonna be slow since laptops running like Celerons is probably what you'll end up with are going to be quite slow on Windows. Why do you need Windows specifically? A Chromebook would be perfect for basic needs or even the Pinebook.

For reselling purposes 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 3:04 AM, NZgamer said:

A cheap machine even with Windows isn't gonna resell for very much. If people are looking for a used machine they are gonna look out for older top of the line stuff, not older crap stuff. You're better off to get a Chromebook and use until it dies.

however what's the cheapest thing that I can get with that usage? I would like to avoid chromebook, because I think that my mom would like to use windows..

also with a ton of storage, or something that could be easily upgradable (I think that's the main reason on why she wants a pc, other than having a bigger display)

26 minutes ago, Xvaster said:

however what's the cheapest thing that I can get with that usage? I would like to avoid chromebook, because I think that my mom would like to use windows..

also with a ton of storage, or something that could be easily upgradable (I think that's the main reason on why she wants a pc, other than having a bigger display)

Answer remains that same then.  Something used.  If you want to use it.  You mentioned resale.  Does that mean value retention?  Computers do that poorly.  They’re always getting better and faster and cheaper and wearing out.  Like cars.  Most cars are also horrible at retaining value.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.