Weird pricing.

Marbo

Before I start I'd like to say that apart from being a satisfied customer I have nothing to do with Scan Computers. 

I'm 20 mins away from their store so no waiting for delivery. Always a good choice in stock and most if the time cheapest. 

But in which world does this make sense? 

Screenshot_20200118_134737_mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser.jpg

I'f I'm being honest... as some one who currently has the 2600X... I'd spend thee extra and get the 3600 or 3600X if your MB supports it.

If you're more concerned about the cost right now... the 2600X at a cheaper price than the lower spec 2600 wins every time.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

I'm a friend of a friend of one of the owners shelley raja.

I've purchased off scan before they are just dodgy ngl.

4 minutes ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

I'f I'm being honest... as some one who currently has the 2600X... I'd spend thee extra and get the 3600 or 3600X if your MB supports it.

If you're more concerned about the cost right now... the 2600X at a cheaper price than the lower spec 2600 wins every time.

It's not so much the specifics of the cpus. I'm not in the market for for one. 

It's weird pricing structures I don't get. Why would anyone choose to pay more for the non X? Its not just this product, this sort of thing happens a lot and I just don't understand their logic. 

If they were ran on different motherboards I'd sort of understand. 

2 minutes ago, Marbo said:

It's not so much the specifics of the cpus. I'm not in the market for for one. 

It's weird pricing structures I don't get. Why would anyone choose to pay more for the non X? Its not just this product, this sort of thing happens a lot and I just don't understand their logic. 

If they were ran on different motherboards I'd sort of understand. 

Ah, I thought you were looking to buy... but yeah it doesn't make sense... but it's their algorithm that's probably setting prices or they've noticed a real slow down in sales on one and have adjusted to sell of stock.. or even simply just price match other online stores.

I used to use scan a lot... but stopped when they stopped being as competitive... same with overclockers and aria. I can get exactly the same stuff elsewhere with free shipping and save an extra 5-10% on average.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

3 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

Don't know anything about the owners. All I can say is that if I need something that they have in stock it's usually the best price around. Also on the 2 occasions I've had to return products they've swapped them no questions. 

7 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

I thought it was aria.co.uk that were the dodgy ones, they got caught in a VAT carousel fraud case a few years back.

8 minutes ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

Ah, I thought you were looking to buy... but yeah it doesn't make sense... but it's their algorithm that's probably setting prices or they've noticed a real slow down in sales on one and have adjusted to sell of stock.. or even simply just price match other online stores.

I used to use scan a lot... but stopped when they stopped being as competitive... same with overclockers and aria. I can get exactly the same stuff elsewhere with free shipping and save an extra 5-10% on average.

Reason I was looking was that someone was looking to pair a 2700 with a 1660. 

If it was around the same price then I thought the 2600 with a 2060 would be a better option. 

Makes sense what you say. If you have dynamic pricing with so much stock then your going to want it to be automated. Algorithms are not going to take common sense into account. 

The prices are often dictated by distributors, which in turn receive discounts or permissions for sales from AMD.

Also, its possible Scan stocked 2600x at some date and 2600x at different date, when the base price was different, or the discounts were dictated by distributors.

For example maybe the distributor in UK has 10k units of 2600x and 5k units of 2600 and they want to reduce the 2600x faster.

They also look at how fast the products go off the shelves, how soon they estimate everything's gone... considering everyone recommended 2600 as a better deal than 2600x for a long time, it may make sense to give bigger discount if they see 2600x moving slower.

Yeah, it may not make sense to you to be cheaper than non x part but keep in mind we're already talking about a previous gen part.