How to tell color 'depth'?

Cactu

So I'm in my english class right, and today we decided to meet in a library room instead of our regular classroom. I walk in and right in front of the class are these two BEAUTIFUL ~80" displays. Now when I say beautiful, I dont mean in terms of the housing or anythin, I mean the colors. I swear I have never seen such colors on a screen that I can only describe as 'deep'. I have my laptop open right now and looking back and forth between them theres no comparison. I am not sure how to describe what I am seeing and would like some help. I was able to track down the screen as probably the "sharp lc-80uq17u 80-inch aquos". Doing a bit of googling I couldnt find anything like what bit color it uses or what the static contrast ratio is. I dont exactly know what either of those mean but I figured they would shed some light on what im looking for if I could find any info on them. 

TL;DR I saw a big ass beautiful screen and I want to know how to technically describe the deep colors I am seeing

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

You mean the color gamut?

maybe! what is the 'scale' so to speak? and do you know anywhere I can find the color gamut for this screen so I can tell what I'm looking at?

The color depth is largely irrelevant with regards the actual color you're seeing. The color range that a monitor is technically capable of is what color space it supports and can actually cover. Most monitors and displays will support sRGB at the minimum to some varying level of accuracy. And then there are other, "wider" color spaces like AdobeRGB, DCI-P3, and Rec.2020.

So for example, an 8-bit color panel that supports Rec.2020 likely has a "deeper" red than a 30-bit color panel that only supports sRGB, assuming the red channel is at maximum

19 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It's a true 10-bit panel:

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/68cf36f

Panel type (ASV) I never seen before, but seems some TFT evolution.

Ill have to do more research on what the difference is between 10 and 8 bit color, theres probably a techquickie video somewhere

1 minute ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

Ill have to do more research on what the difference is between 10 and 8 bit color, theres probably a techquickie video somewhere

It means (potentially) higher granularity between colors which can reduce banding effects in certain situations. It's not very important generally speaking.

Just now, Cactusneedle_18 said:

Basically, with 10 bits rather than 8, you can have 4 times as many shades of each color.

But that only measures how granular the colors can be within a given color space. So you want both as many bits as possible, and the largest color gamut possible. In this case, the TV has 10-bit color (30-bit counting all three color channels) which is great, and a gamut covering 74% of the NTSC color space, which is pretty good.

7 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

While it's hard to tell what specifically is behind the positive impression you got, at least you'll have a comprehensive list of specs in that page to guide your research ;) 

6 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Basically, with 10 bits rather than 8, you can have 4 times as many shades of each color.

But that only measures how granular the colors can be within a given color space. So you want both as many bits as possible, and the largest color gamut possible. In this case, the TV has 10-bit color (30-bit counting all three color channels) which is great, and a gamut covering 74% of the NTSC color space, which is pretty good.

so in short the beautiful colors are due to the wide color gamut plus it being able to display in 10 bit? do you think an 8bit panel could come close given a similar gamut?

19 minutes ago, Cactusneedle_18 said:

so in short the beautiful colors are due to the wide color gamut plus it being able to display in 10 bit? do you think an 8bit panel could come close given a similar gamut?

Yes. You might see a little bit of banding in some situations, but otherwise the colors should look pretty much just as good.