best motherboard for AMD 5 3600

which motherboard is the best one for my AMD 5 3600 for gaming? 

( RTX 2060S) (16 GB RAM (3000MHz)) (1TB HDD 500GB SSD) 

Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 3

Gigabyte B450M 

MDI B450M PRO

ASrock B450M 

Any other? (about same price please)

also: recommended CPU cooler and PCU?  

Thanks in advance! 

MSI b450 A Pro MAX. ITs the tomahawk but with a bit less bling but better VRM heatsinks.

Best in class for cheap B450 period!

PCU? Do you mean power supply?

Also I recommend getting faster ram. Ryzen loves fast ram!

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

I'd use the brand Gigabyte for the motherboard.  for the cooler, I would suggest the cryorig m9a.  It cools my ryzen 5 2600 very well

My build

Ryzen 5 2600 @3.95ghz

Cryorig M9a

Gigabyte x470 Ultra Gaming

Gigabyte RX 590 @1720mhz

2x8 Corsair LPX Vengeance 2933

ASUS Wireless card

EVGA 650GQ

Cougar MX330G

WD Blue SATA SSD 500GB

Just now, Metallus97 said:

MSI b450 A Pro MAX. ITs the tomahawk but with a bit less bling but better VRM heatsinks.

Best in class for cheap B450 period!

PCU? Do you mean power supply?

yes, Power supply

Just now, rx590overclocker said:

I'd use the brand Gigabyte for the motherboard.  for the cooler, I would suggest the cryorig m9a.  It cools my ryzen 5 2600 very well

yeha that cooler is nice!

But the board mehhh. A pro max simply the best in that price range!

Just now, klapstok said:

yes, Power supply

Alright!

Chose a B unit you can find in your market and make it about 500W

See the motherboards with at least 2 green checks in the middle columns : Spreadsheet

Technically a single green check mark is enough, but it's better to go for two and have lots of room for future upgrades and overclocking room.

Also a bonus the ones that have a green check all the way to the right support BIOS Flashback, which allows you to update bios without cpu installed in the socket. 

The models from MSI with Max in the name support Ryzen 3xxx processors natively. The ones without Max in name may need a bios update (but most support bios flashback)

A cheap and good one is MSI B450-A Pro, with or without Max

If you want cheaper, Asrock B450M is cheaper and good.

Then the Gigabyte boards would be fine.

As for power supplies, you should be fine with a 500w or a 550w power supply, a Ryzen 3600 doesn't use a lot of power ... you're looking at 100-150w at most for everything except video card, and video cards use under 250-300w - 2060 super uses around 150 watts.

3 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Alright!

Chose a B unit you can find in your market and make it about 500W

Thanks! 500W is enough? 

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

As for power supplies, you should be fine with a 500w or a 550w power supply, a Ryzen 3600 doesn't use a lot of power ... you're looking at 100-150w at most for everything except video card, and video cards use under 250-300w - 2060 super uses around 150 watts.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

See the motherboards with at least 2 green checks in the middle columns : Spreadsheet

Technically a single green check mark is enough, but it's better to go for two and have lots of room for future upgrades and overclocking room.

Also a bonus the ones that have a green check all the way to the right support BIOS Flashback, which allows you to update bios without cpu installed in the socket. 

The models from MSI with Max in the name support Ryzen 3xxx processors natively. The ones without Max in name may need a bios update (but most support bios flashback)

A cheap and good one is MSI B450-A Pro, with or without Max

If you want cheaper, Asrock B450M is cheaper and good.

Thanks! I will probably go for the MSI B450M then! 

Just now, klapstok said:

-snip-

Yeha boii! to be super save you can step it up to 650, but plz not more. That becomes wasted money

Just now, mariushm said:

ok that's great! Thanks 

Yeha boii! to be super save you can step it up to 650, but plz not more. That becomes wasted money

alright! so should be between 500-650? 

There isn't a best or a worst. As they've all got advantages and disadvantages. When it comes to motherboard I use 2 metrics. Brand and price.

I've only ever had Asus motherboards in my many years if pc building so I always start there. Then I pick a price I want to pay. Then chose the motherboard that fits. Its as simple as that. Half the top end boards are just filled with gimmicks you'll never use, and the super cheap ones have questionable caps so overclockin might be iffy. So somewhere square in the middle

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Just now, klapstok said:

alright! so should be between 500-650? 

basically yes. But idd prefer a better quality 500 unit over a meh 650 one

Just now, Badger906 said:

There isn't a best or a worst. As they've all got advantages and disadvantages. When it comes to motherboard I use 2 metrics. Brand and price.

I've only ever had Asus motherboards in my many years if pc building so I always start there. Then I pick a price I want to pay. Then chose the motherboard that fits. Its as simple as that. Half the top end boards are just filled with gimmicks you'll never use, and the super cheap ones have questionable caps so overclockin might be iffy. So somewhere square in the middle

But that works on most cases but isn't the smartest move. On every platform there are. different brands better or worse.

1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

basically yes. But idd prefer a better quality 500 unit over a meh 650 one

good point, thanks! 

2 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

alright, thanks

10 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

But that works on most cases but isn't the smartest move. On every platform there are. different brands better or worse.

In my 20 odd years of system building, never has there been a case where 1 board is significantly better than another, or even noticeable in terms of out the box usage. Yes, some will overclock slightly better, others have better ram xmp profiles, some run at slightly lower voltages etc. But the fact is you'll not get such a noticeable difference that one is a poor purchase compared to another.

If op had a 9900k and wanted the best chance of getting the highest oc possible blah blab then yeah then list shortens, but a 3600 which has limited oc head room as it is, on a platform thats still very much maturing, any board from any manufacturer at a similar price point will all be with in margin of error. And any additions will just be features, and like I said, half of them are gimmicks the average user will never use.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

1 minute ago, Badger906 said:

In my 20 odd years of system building, never has there been a case where 1 board is significantly better than another, or even noticeable in terms of out the box usage. Yes, some will overclock slightly better, others have better ram xmp profiles, some run at slightly lower voltages etc. But the fact is you'll not get such a noticeable difference that one is a poor purchase compared to another.

If op had a 9900j and wanted the best chance of getting the highest oc possible blah blab then yeah then list shortens, but a 3600 which has limited oc head room as it is, on a platform thats still very much maturing, any board from any manufacturer at a similar price point will all be with in margin of error. And any additions will just be features, and like I said, half of them are gimmicks the average user will never use.

Alright, very helpful. Now i won't have to worry or regret about anything. :) thanks

Also look into all the features of the motherboards.

Some brands (Asus) will be a bit more expensive and it's often not worth it or the price is not actually justified... but it sometimes depends on region and how good the local distributors are.

Think also about what matters to you.  For example, you may have a 95$ motherboard and a 100$ motherboard and the differences between them could be just a better onboard audio chip (for example alc887 with 3 analogue jacks versus alc892 with 5 analogue audio jacks and digital out) or a usb type c connector on the io shield.

I personally have a 5.1 system so I'd rather pay 5$ more to be able to use 3 of those analogue outputs for 5.1 and still have a microphone input in the back - with the cheaper motherboard I would have to use all 3 jacks in the back for 5.1 and use the front panel microphone jack.

However, I wouldn't pay 5$ more just for a usb type c. You may want to, maybe for you having a usb type c connector is important.

4 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

If op had a 9900k and wanted the best chance of getting the highest oc possible blah blab then yeah then list shortens, but a 3600 which has limited oc head room as it is, on a platform thats still very much maturing, any board from any manufacturer at a similar price point will all be with in margin of error. And any additions will just be features, and like I said, half of them are gimmicks the average user will never use.

That’s right for basic usage.

But regardless I want max perf+features/price 

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Also look into all the features of the motherboards.

Some brands (Asus) will be a bit more expensive and it's often not worth it or the price is not actually justified... but it sometimes depends on region and how good the local distributors are.

Think also about what matters to you.  For example, you may have a 95$ motherboard and a 100$ motherboard and the differences between them could be just a better onboard audio chip (for example alc887 with 3 analogue jacks or alc892 with 5 analogue audio jacks and digital out) or a usb type c connector.

I personally have a 5.1 system so I'd rather pay 5$ more to be able to use 3 of those analogue outputs for 5.1 and still have a microphone input in the back - with the cheaper motherboard I would have to use all 3 jacks in the back for 5.1 and use the front panel microphone jack.

However, I wouldn't pay 5$ more just for a usb type c. You may want to, maybe for you having a usb type c connector is important.

Good to know! 

I'll look at the the specifications of those boards. I don't need anything special tbh. 2-3 USB  cables, mircophone and headphone jack in the front would be optimal. 

18 minutes ago, klapstok said:

Thanks! I will probably go for the MSI B450M then! 

which one. a lot of those arent great. some of them are. 

That’s right for basic usage.

But regardless I want max perf+features/price 

Then I guess you only buy pre binned components? As there's literally no guarantee you'll get the best performance. Nothing to say the cpu won't boost a single mhz over its turbo even on liquid nitrogen on the best board you can buy.. You could get a better over clock with a super poor motherboard than a really expensive one if the cpu has failed the silicone lottery