Just a question

If, for example, hipotetically I wanted to create a simple website hosting using an old computer, where should I theoretically ask how to do it

squarespace

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

37 minutes ago, Kidplayer_666 said:

If, for example, hipotetically I wanted to create a simple website hosting using an old computer, where should I theoretically ask how to do it

It is possible to run some modern OSes on some old machines.  It’s gonna be a UNIXey one.  Maybe even Unix.  There’s a version of BSD that specializes in ancient hardware if you can’t get straight up linux to do it.  It’s FreeBSD or NetBSD.  Can’t remember which.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I guess the first question is do you have business class internet? Most ISPs will tell you to stop or face termination of your services if you host a public server on a residential connection.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

-> Moved to Servers and NAS

Which is the best place on this forum to ask it. Since PC would act as server.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Since I’m European I have a bajillion GB of cap (no cap) and since I have a really big family there is always a base load, so increasing it a bit won’t make a difference. Also it’s just an experience. I know places to make the site I just need help hosting on an old laptop 

15 hours ago, Kidplayer_666 said:

Since I’m European I have a bajillion GB of cap (no cap) and since I have a really big family there is always a base load, so increasing it a bit won’t make a difference. Also it’s just an experience. I know places to make the site I just need help hosting on an old laptop 

You need to read the terms of service, i'm also located in Europa. and many ISPs are very strickt on what you can and cannot use under commerical pruposes. If it's not commerical you should be fine.

11 hours ago, Kidplayer_666 said:

For the site I’ll use wix

You can't use wix on your own hardware, so your old pc is more or less trash if that's the case.

On 1/14/2020 at 9:40 PM, Kidplayer_666 said:

The easiest way to host a site is to install LAMP, on a linux OS.

Then port forward TCP port 80 and 443 and obtain a SSL certificate from Let's Encrypt.

You would still need to buy a domain though..

Most hosting companies that are domain registrars do put in free DNS management with your plan. 

So you would want to change the A records:

example.com

www.example.com

and for simplicity of life..

*.example.com

To point to your IP adress.

And you should also make sure you have access to the router configuration and a static IP before you do this.

12 hours ago, Kidplayer_666 said:

For the site I’ll use wix

If you're using Wix you dont need your own server. Wix sites are explicitely hosted by Wix

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA