Gigabit Lan port router

TheShane

This is an odd question and really hard to phrase for me, so I apologize in advance here. 

I am looking for a router that actually provides 1gig speeds on the lan port on the back of the modem. I have a gig internet connection using my modem I get very close to that 1gig speed. I am using a Nighthawk r7000 router however when I plug it in to the lan port on the back of the modem it only provides 180-250mbps. I have done some research and it is very unreliable to deliver those speeds. I am getting a new ISP and the only use a router they don't actually use a modem, so either a combo or modem separately is out of the question. 

Looking to spend no more than 100-140$ is possible. My new ISP will let me rent one, just don't want to pay 12$ a month. 

Thank you for any help or input. 

Have you considered using a gigabit switch as a cheaper alternative? You could continue using your current router to provide wifi, and a gigabit switch to provide more gigabit ethernet ports.

Does the deivce you connect to the router have a ethernet port with LED? If it is, as long as the speed LED is stationary green, the connection is authentically 1GbE.

ASUS_STRIX_Z270_E_GAMING_LAN_Port_LEDs.jpg

On 1/16/2020 at 1:16 PM, PowerBaller said:

Does the deivce you connect to the router have a ethernet port with LED? If it is, as long as the speed LED is stationary green, the connection is authentically 1GbE.

ASUS_STRIX_Z270_E_GAMING_LAN_Port_LEDs.jpg

cheers for this. had no idea about this. made my life a little easier now haha

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

If you update your post to state you want a WAN 1Gig port you'll confuse less people. You would also have been better off posting it in the Networking forum. Servers and NAS have nothing to do with your issue.

LAN ports are your internal network.  Laptops, Desktops, Xbox, Playstation...etc... connecting to your router, either wired, or wirelessly.  Your WAN port is the Routers connection back to the Modem.

There is more to routing speed than just the link's physical connection speed.  Many routers have had 1Gig WAN ports for a while.  But inside that router is a small processor.  That processor needs to be FAST enough to route traffic at the line speed.

The Nighthawk should be able to do it based on its advertised specs, but a quick search reveals that many people reported the same issue you are reporting. One guy fixed his by turning off QoS in the advanced features.  I don't have a Nighthawk, so you are on your own for how to turn it off.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-not-doing-gigabit-ethernet-speeds/td-p/1617391

Honestly, if its not the QoS issue, you need to talk to Netgear support, or seek help on the Netgear community forums.  They will be much more familiar with the hardware and GUI's than we would be.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

On 1/14/2020 at 1:30 PM, TheShane said:

1gig speeds on the lan port on the back of the modem.

I think you mean the WAN port on the router. To be honest many routers cant do 1 Gbps internet, even though they have Gigabit ports on the WAN side. Mostly it has to deal with the router cant do NAT at those speeds, due to the fact most of these routers use low powered ARM chips.  This is primarily the reason people choose to build their own router using PFsense as the OS. From what I have seen my router, the Synology RT2600AC is rated for close to Gigabit speeds on WAN. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ has all the benchmarks you will need to detrime if the router supports Gigabit. Id check there first. OR just say fuck it and build your own out of some old PC hardware or something. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I think you mean the WAN port on the router. To be honest many routers cant do 1 Gbps internet, even though they have Gigabit ports on the WAN side. Mostly it has to deal with the router cant do NAT at those speeds, due to the fact most of these routers use low powered ARM chips.  This is primarily the reason people choose to build their own router using PFsense as the OS. From what I have seen my router, the Synology RT2600AC is rated for close to Gigabit speeds on WAN. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ has all the benchmarks you will need to detrime if the router supports Gigabit. Id check there first. OR just say fuck it and build your own out of some old PC hardware or something. 

That is my guess behind that one articles reasoning for turning QoS off.  It reduces the load on the routers CPU so it can route more packets.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

13 minutes ago, Thirdgen89GTA said:

That is my guess behind that one articles reasoning for turning QoS off.  It reduces the load on the routers CPU so it can route more packets.

Still the fact is most routers cant even touch gigabit. I mean think of it like this. Most people probably are lucky to get 100-300 Mbps in many areas. Thats the only reason many rotuers offer Gigabit WAN, as thats needed if you need to go over 100 Mbps. That being said, Gigabit and multgigabit conections are still really new. In order to get a proper Gigabit connection you need Fiber which many of us cant get. The next best connection is Cable (Docsis3.1) but then you limited with some sorry ass upload speeds. 

Generally you eaither need a higher end router like Prosumer/Small business or you have to build one yourself. Your basically not going to find many or if any $80 routers that can do Gigabit. Most people cheap out on routers and such. Not many are like me and spend $200 on one. Or they dont do the proper research on the LAN to WAN throughput. Which is why sites like Smallnetbuilder exist, as they do all the testing. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

23 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Still the fact is most routers cant even touch gigabit. I mean think of it like this. Most people probably are lucky to get 100-300 Mbps in many areas. Thats the only reason many rotuers offer Gigabit WAN, as thats needed if you need to go over 100 Mbps. That being said, Gigabit and multgigabit conections are still really new. In order to get a proper Gigabit connection you need Fiber which many of us cant get. The next best connection is Cable (Docsis3.1) but then you limited with some sorry ass upload speeds. 

Generally you eaither need a higher end router like Prosumer/Small business or you have to build one yourself. Your basically not going to find many or if any $80 routers that can do Gigabit. Most people cheap out on routers and such. Not many are like me and spend $200 on one. Or they dont do the proper research on the LAN to WAN throughput. Which is why sites like Smallnetbuilder exist, as they do all the testing. 

I looked on that after I posted.

It looks like the R7000 can do Gigabit.  They've got it rated right around 970Mbits, which accounting for overhead is good enough to call it gigabit.

I'm betting that it can't do Gigabit though with all the bells and whistles turned on.  The only reason my ERPoE-5 can do gigabit is because of hardware offloading.

I Run my PoE devices off the ERPoE5 and run a managed 24p switch for everything else.  Though I keep looking for something affordable that is near silently cooled that can deal with 10Gig-E, either copper or SFP+ it doesn't quite matter to me. Plenty of used switches from HP and Cisco out there that can do it, but nothing thats truly quiet, or power efficient.

My NAS already sucks down about 140w at idle because of how many disks, and the two HBA's.  I don't really want another power hungry device.  So I patiently wait for something to come out with SFP+ 10G capability that is also silent. Power is at the bottom of things I want, but its something I still look at.

I could snag a Cisco or HP 24p switch that supports 10Gig SFP+ for cheap enough, just don't want the fan noise, or the 50w power consumption.  I'd use DAC cables as its its only a few feet and the latency is better.

Toys:

R7000 can do 930Mbps WAN to LAN according to smallnetbuilder's review. Update the firmware to the latest version and turn off filtering (QoS, etc...).