Ryzen 9 3900x Motherboard and Ram Choices

Hi, So it's been a LONG time since I built a PC or gamed and although I used to work in the PC building and repair world and I used to be an avid GAMER the world has changed quite a bit.

I recently decided to start youtubing, and because I discovered how dismal the computers I have right now are for video editting (and gaming), I realized I really needed something much better.

It looks like my timing was just right with AMD's new line of chips available.

I want to build a PC centered on the Ryzen 9 3900x, and in looking at motherboard reviews, and RAM Matching tutorials and all that. They all seem to be focused on tweaking performance with the equipment you get by overclocking.

I am not interested in overclocking at all. I really am looking more for stability. In my opinion getting the advanced system that I am looking to build it's going to provide well more power than I really need and just want to build a system based around the 3900x that is really solid, but that doesn't mean I want to give up on feature rich platform either.

With that mindset and goal in place, I would look for some recommendations on what motherboard I should really look at that I can implement CPU and the best RAM selection using base clock speeds.

Can someone help me with that?

Also, where the heck do I find equipment that isn't RGB? I am not interested in making my PC look like it belongs in a borg cube and I don't want to pay the extra for RGB nor pay for the additional power consumption.

Thanks,

Pappy

For a 3900X something appropriate would look like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($493.84 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($164.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $788.82

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

21 minutes ago, Norwegiantweaker said:

seems like all the god ram sets are rgb just saying 

um...... not really no. 

33 minutes ago, Captain Pappy said:

I would look for some recommendations on what motherboard

how much you spending?

33 minutes ago, Captain Pappy said:

the best RAM selection using base clock speeds.

how much ram do you need?

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

how much you spending?

how much ram do you need?

Thanks everyone for the replies!!!

1) It's not about cost, it's about the which is the most correct one for my application. Planning on base clocking only, just want to make sure I match up the right equipment.

2) either 32 or 64, dual channel configuration of course.

So is 3600MHz considered the right match for base clocking? I thought the buses were 2666 base clocked.

3 minutes ago, Captain Pappy said:

Thanks everyone for the replies!!!

1) It's not about cost, it's about the which is the most correct one for my application. Planning on base clocking only, just want to make sure I match up the right equipment.

2) either 32 or 64, dual channel configuration of course.

So is 3600MHz considered the right match for base clocking? I thought the buses were 2666 base clocked.

3600MHz RAM is optimal for performance on 3rd gen Ryzen, I picked a 3600MHz kit in my list because it only requires you to enable a setting in bios instead of doing any real overclocking.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

11 minutes ago, Captain Pappy said:

Just get the build @Morgan MLGman

Its more or less what id suggest.

ok thanks guys.

I know this is the wrong forum, but since i have your attention, and recommendations for graphics card?

Is it worth spending extra money on the 1080 TI, or should I just go with the newer generation graphics cards? Thinking a 2080 or 2080 Super maybe.

THanks Again guys.

1 minute ago, Captain Pappy said:

ok thanks guys.

I know this is the wrong forum, but since i have your attention, and recommendations for graphics card?

Is it worth spending extra money on the 1080 TI, or should I just go with the newer generation graphics cards? Thinking a 2080 or 2080 Super maybe.

THanks Again guys.

you can get a used 1080ti or a new 2080super

yeah but a used 1080 is rolling the dice, you don't know how many usable hours are left on it...I know buying silicon is gamble, each component is different, but buying used carries additional risk without warranty, and new 1080s are as expensive as a golden cow. SO I am thinking should stick with the newer 2080 models.

Sound about right?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Captain Pappy said:

yeah but a used 1080 is rolling the dice, you don't know how many usable hours are left on it...I know buying silicon is gamble, each component is different, but buying used carries additional risk without warranty, and new 1080s are as expensive as a golden cow. SO I am thinking should stick with the newer 2080 models.

Sound about right?

Thanks

if advertised as working and getting it through a website like ebay with buyer protection, you should be fine. or you can try to find refurbished ones from local pc stores, as some of them offer 6 or 12 months warranty.

but if you're not comfortable with buying used, go for a new 2080/s.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

So I appreciate the support you have given me. I am just putting together my shopping cart. I guess my last question is, cabling. Do the components come with cabling, or do I need to source cabling separately?

Thanks Again for all your help.

10 minutes ago, Captain Pappy said:

Hi Guys,

So I appreciate the support you have given me. I am just putting together my shopping cart. I guess my last question is, cabling. Do the components come with cabling, or do I need to source cabling separately?

Thanks Again for all your help.

they should come with everything you need.