Replacement for Leadex II with quiet fan

Billy_Wellington

Hello, what would be a good replacement for Leadex II 750w gold unit, with more adequate fan control?

My problem with leadex is that, with standart mode - it's fan is louder than any other fan in my system and eco mode is behaving inadequately, randomly spinning the fan to crazy high RPM's even when PC is idle.

Something fully modular, with very low RPM at idle or ECO mode that actually works? Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Billy_Wellington said:

Hello, what would be a good replacement for Leadex II 750w gold unit, with more adequate fan control?

My problem with leadex is that, with standart mode - it's fan is louder than any other fan in my system and eco mode is behaving inadequately, randomly spinning the fan to crazy high RPM's even when PC is idle.

Something fully modular, with very low RPM at idle or ECO mode that actually works? Thank you.

What are you powering, what's your budget, and where are you buying from?

:)

54 minutes ago, seon123 said:

What are you powering, what's your budget, and where are you buying from?

Sorry, for now it's 1080ti, and 6700k 4.5 ghz overclock. If i am upgrading it will be something like next nvidia xx80 card and any of the amd\intel 8 core 16 threads mainstream cpu's I do not have hard drives, i have only m2 ssd's for storage and really not much else to consume power.  As for the budget, i would not want to go above 150 euro.

I live in Moscow, Russia and choice of PSU's here might be limited and many models will be overpriced, but i can order from amazon us or check european stores as well. Just need a few models to start with. And ofcourse i will also check locally and compare the prices. I could probably sell leadex ii here as well.

PS: Just looking some of the stores i used, there is Tier A  fractal design ion+ units.

860p platinum is only 5 euro more expensive than 760p unit and with delivery this will go for 143 euros.

At the very least there is a zero rpm mode, is it a good one?

9 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

no

it's fx based, but with a 109% opp

Oh ... I don't think it really qualifies for tier A then, tier B+ with a note maybe ? Because people getting high-end unit expect it to be, um, high-end and 110% doesn't exactly qualify for that, might trip on transients with some very power hungry setups with load levels close to 100%.

6 hours ago, Billy_Wellington said:

I live in Moscow, Russia

Enermax Revolution \ Deepcool DQ-M \ be quiet! Straight Power 11 - same platform. Or Corsair RMx. All of them are very quiet units (up-to ~400W load), go with cheapest one (Deepcool one goes for 6k RUR with promo code). There's also somewhat cheaper Aerocool P7 but i'm not sure how good it is despite it uses the same platform as those three units above too, there are numerous user reviews of it citing issues with fan controller \ overheating \ reboots. @LukeSavenije can you dig on this further ? Maybe it should be detiered ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

6 hours ago, Juular said:

I found a review, looks like it starts spinning at 600 rpm, kind of like the fan on Leadex II which i can definitely hear. Maybe i am too sensitive with noise, but i would avoid this if  possible since all my other fans idling at 300 rpm.

6 hours ago, Juular said:

Better, start RPM is around 300, but 750w model out of stock and 850w is a solid price bump. International shipment is an option.

7 hours ago, Juular said:

Enermax Revolution

Also an option.

7 hours ago, Juular said:

This one does seem to have 0 rpm up to 40% load, which is great. That is for "2018" model, there is also "2019" is there a difference?

But in any case, is there a reason not to buy the Fractal Design ion+ PSU i've mentioned before? There is also zero RPM up to 40% load

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Billy_Wellington said:

there is also "2019" is there a difference?

2019 are RM, it's completely different platform and it's not very quiet, basically somewhat renewed TXm.

1 hour ago, Billy_Wellington said:

But in any case, is there a reason not to buy the Fractal Design ion+ PSU i've mentioned before? There is also zero RPM up to 40% load

Look at the prices mainly, get the cheapest, i didn't see FD Ion+ on Yandex so i'm not sure how it compares to other units price wise but it's almost as quiet as be quiet! E11.

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

2019 are RM, it's completely different platform and it's not very quiet, basically somewhat renewed TXm.

RM isn't even a greatwall though... i'd rather call it a downgraded RMx here

but for what's important here, the RM has an issue where it starts to make a high-pitched sound when switching between powerstates (~90w), which might be a problem for @Billy_Wellington

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

RM isn't even a greatwall though... i'd rather call it a downgraded RMx here

I mean, not platform wise but rather overall performance wise.

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

Look at the prices mainly, get the cheapest, i didn't see FD Ion+ on Yandex so i'm not sure how it compares to other units price wise but it's almost as quiet as be quiet! E11.

I also check computeruniverse german store, because usually their price + delivery equals the price in Moscow.

Almost everything you mention is there.

be quiet! Straight Power 11 750 Watt - 102 euro

Enermax Revolution D.F. 80+ Gold 750 Watt - 93 euro

Corsair RM750X (2018) 750 Watt - 98 euro

Fractal Design ION+ 860P 860 Watt - 110 euro, but it is platinum and have more wattage, 760p is only 5 euro less.

The delivery will be about 30 euro.

1 minute ago, Billy_Wellington said:

I also check computeruniverse german store, because usually their price + delivery equals the price in Moscow.

What you're powering anyway ? Chances are you don't need more than 650W PSU even if it's smth like i9 9900K + RTX 2080 Ti even from the load level to noise perspective since it'll hardly consume more than 300W in gaming. If it's workstation build then yeah, going for higher wattage might reduce noise output.

7 minutes ago, Juular said:

What you're powering anyway ? Chances are you don't need more than 650W PSU even if it's smth like i9 9900K + RTX 2080 Ti even from the load level to noise perspective since it'll hardly consume more than 300W in gaming. If it's workstation build then yeah, going for higher wattage might reduce noise output.

I currently have 750w unit, before that i had 550w unit (xfx xtr) and when i switched from gtx1070 to 1080ti it's PSU fan was working at full RPM, so i bought 750w unit to deal with this, 550w was not enough apparently or just it's fan controller went nuts. I am guessing it wouldnt make much sense to buy less watts than what i have now, but maybe i am wrong. The CPU is 6700k, as i mentioned before.

There will be some upgrades, but i guess new hardware is suppose to be more efficient, so yeah maybe i will be ok with 650w, but i'd rather be safe than sorry.

3 minutes ago, Billy_Wellington said:

550w was not enough apparently or just it's fan controller went nuts.

Every unit has fan curve configured differently, it's not only about power, if you look at Cybenetics noise output to load graphs you'll see that with ~300-400W of load, already quiet 650W and 850W units will have the same noise output.

Just now, Juular said:

Every unit has fan curve configured differently, it's not only about power, if you look at Cybenetics noise output to load graphs you'll see that with ~300-400W of load, already quiet 650W and 850W units will have the same noise output.

So, if you were me, how much wattage would you get? 650w? For 6700k and 1080ti

Say if i am upgrading, in theory it will be Nvidia xx80 card and 8 core 16 thread cpu from either intel or amd, do you think 650w would be fine?

11 minutes ago, Billy_Wellington said:

So, if you were me, how much wattage would you get? 650w? For 6700k and 1080ti

Say if i am upgrading, in theory it will be Nvidia xx80 card and 8 core 16 thread cpu from either intel or amd, do you think 650w would be fine?

Even 550W are enough for any single-GPU non-workstation build from power draw perspective, but if you're concerned about noise, say OC'd 9900k + RTX2080 Ti consume about 400W in gaming (whole system), 650W+ versions of Corsair RMx (both 2015 and 2018), be quiet E11 and FD ION+ should be on the same noise output level with this load, Enermax DF and DQ-M may be just a bit more noisy but we're talking about 5 dBa difference, you wouldn't notice that. My recommendation is still same, any 650W+ unit of those i've mentioned, 750\850W versions if it's <10 EUR more, be quiet! E11 or Corsair RMx if they're <10 EUR more as they're slightly quieter than others.

Choosing from those options you've mentioned, i'd get be quiet! E11 750W.

9 minutes ago, Billy_Wellington said:

do you think 650w would be fine?

Yup... 650W is enough for any mainstream system with a single GPU you can currently put together.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

Even 550W are enough for any single-GPU non-workstation build from power draw perspective, but if you're concerned about noise, say OC'd 9900k + RTX2080 Ti consume about 400W in gaming (whole system), 650W+ versions of Corsair RMx (both 2015 and 2018), be quiet E11 and FD ION+ should be on the same noise output level with this load, Enermax DF and DQ-M may be just a bit more noisy but we're talking about 5 dBa difference, you wouldn't notice that. My recommendation is still same, any 650W+ unit of those i've mentioned, 750\850W versions if it's <10 EUR more, be quiet! E11 or Corsair RMx if they're <10 EUR more as they're slightly quieter than others.

2 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Yup... 650W is enough for any mainstream system with a single GPU you can currently put together.

Alright, thank you guys. I will pick something from those models.

One thing i forgot to mention, for semi-passive PSU's such as RMx and ION+ would the temperature be an issue?

I have fairly standart modern case, NZXT H700, PSU is placed at the bottom with fan facing down with a gap between table and a fan for intake.

32 minutes ago, Billy_Wellington said:

One thing i forgot to mention, for semi-passive PSU's such as RMx and ION+ would the temperature be an issue?

No.

21 minutes ago, Juular said:

No.

Okay. Thank you.

I guess this will have to be corsair or fractal then.

On 1/8/2020 at 9:35 AM, Billy_Wellington said:

I found a review, looks like it starts spinning at 600 rpm, kind of like the fan on Leadex II which i can definitely hear. Maybe i am too sensitive with noise, but i would avoid this if  possible since all my other fans idling at 300 rpm.

The DQ-M has Deepcool's own fan in it. I happen to know they are very good quality and quiet-running fans. used to have 7 of them in my rig a few years back. So I wouldn't compare the fan to that of other units, they will be different.

I am planning to buy a DQ650M for my new build. Will report back on how loud or quiet it is.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

18 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

The DQ-M has Deepcool's own fan in it. I happen to know they are very good quality and quiet-running fans. used to have 7 of them in my rig a few years back. So I wouldn't compare the fan to that of other units, they will be different.

I am planning to buy a DQ650M for my new build. Will report back on how loud or quiet it is.

Even good fans are audible at 600 rpm, the PC is just a few cm away from my right ear. I have phanteks fans for intake and they are audible when they reach 500-600 rpm, noiseblocker eloop that i have for exhaust is also silent up to 400 rpm, but not more. I cant see the reason deepcool will be any different.

2 hours ago, Billy_Wellington said:

Even good fans are audible at 600 rpm, the PC is just a few cm away from my right ear. I have phanteks fans for intake and they are audible when they reach 500-600 rpm, noiseblocker eloop that i have for exhaust is also silent up to 400 rpm, but not more. I cant see the reason deepcool will be any different.

no not all of them are audible you can check the noise rating from cybenetics lab

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&manfID=81&volts=1

ftp://members.cybenetics.report/PDF_Reports/d/cybenetics_OXx.pdf

@752rpm its 18db 

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

8 hours ago, Mezoxin said:

no not all of them are audible you can check the noise rating from cybenetics lab

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&manfID=81&volts=1

ftp://members.cybenetics.report/PDF_Reports/d/cybenetics_OXx.pdf

@752rpm its 18db 

Also by the looking at Super Flower units, with leadex iii it's crazy fan speed seems to be resolved xd

11 hours ago, Billy_Wellington said:

I cant see the reason deepcool will be any different.

Because they are different fans with different blade and frame designs. ;)

You can see in the image here, this is Deepcool's own unique fan, which you won't find in other brand units based on the same platform.

image.thumb.png.49adddd58bb90b1c149d93d8ba109189.png

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Also in what cases "high inrush current" can actually cause problems?

I still decide between corsair RMx and Fractal Design Ion+. The reviews mention the inrush current of Ion+ units is much higher than other units and say it might cause some problems, meaning if my apartment have crappy power lines, weak circuit breaker and such?