Install trouble

xwrench3

i am going to do my best to make this as short as possible. i just got a second hand I5 (6500) desktop with no hard drive. so i had a small 128gb ssd laying around from an upgrade (my sons computer), so i decided to use that in it. windows wouldn't boot, or repair it's self, so i thought i would just format it and install windows 10 onto it. but it will not let me format  it, saying that the format type (GPT) is incorrect.  so that is beyond my knowledge database. and i do not know what to do at this point. i have another I5 6500 desktop (that i built from scratch), can i just connect the ssd to it, and format it (erasing everything), and go from there? if so, will the working I5 computer let me choose what type of format to use when wiping the ssd? my son is off at college, and will not be home until spring break.

Yes, just connect it to your working machine, open disk management and format it with NTFS.

That said, you can do this with normal Windows installation media, but I could see how that would be more frustrating or confusing.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Gpt is a partition system. The reason it cannot be formatted is your windows setup disk was booted into non uefi  mode. Boot with uefi mode and it will let you format it. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

i dont know how to do that. i removed the ssd and installed it in my working computer. i formatted it in ntfs, and that all went well. so i tried to install windows onto it, and now it says just the opposite. it can not install windows because it is formatted in mbr style or mode or what ever ( sorry, i am so frustrated with this i would really like to chop it to bits with my axe).  now it says it can ONLY install to the gpt type! 

well, i have cooled down, and am ready to take another shot at this. i went on you tube, and i am finding all kinds of stuff, showing how to TOTALLY wipe a sss, one that says i have to disable the uefi in order to install windows, and many other things. do i need to completely wipe all data from the drive? and if so, i know there are a couple of partitions in my working "C" drive, do i have to manually install those, or will windows take care of that? and what about initializing the drive? i feel like this may be the missing link in my efforts. but i really am not sure.