Choosing a case: Fractal Design R6 vs. C

brobdingz

About to buy a new gaming PC, all parts pretty much figured out, except for the case.

What I care about: gaming performance (at settings as high as possible for 4K and/or 1440) and low noise levels, no need for streaming/editing. This machine won't be upgraded anytime soon (it's likely that only in a few years will I overhaul the CPU, motherboard, and GPU) and no overclocking is intended.

Between the Fractal Design Define R6 and C, I prefer the latter due to the smaller form factor.

But - is that a good choice per temps and noise? (my basic understanding: smaller case --> harder to cool --> fans speed faster --> more noise).

And also, if going with the Define C, should I add an extra fan? (which one, front / bottom / top?)

Here's my build minus a case, thanks for any tips!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($339.99 @ Best Buy) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($189.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($79.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($289.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  ($749.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.88 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1869.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-12 03:52 EST-0500

Both good, you need R6 only if you need more HDD cages or larger radiator (420mm). I wouldn't hurt to add some additional case fans since you have air cooler, or just switch to 280\360mm AIO if they're not too expensive (too lazy to check if there are any for 100-110$ available currently).

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

30 minutes ago, Juular said:

Both good, you need R6 only if you need more HDD cages or larger radiator (420mm). I wouldn't hurt to add some additional case fans since you have air cooler, or just switch to 280\360mm AIO if they're not too expensive (too lazy to check if there are any for 100-110$ available currently).

Cool, per an additional case fan - a front one, that's the standard one to add? Or bottom / top? Thanks for answering!

41 minutes ago, brobdingz said:

Cool, per an additional case fan - a front one, that's the standard one to add? Or bottom / top? Thanks for answering!

I'd add it to front intake.

What about the meshify c? fits a full size atx mobo, has good thermals and is smaller than a regular atx case. That's the one i chose for my build last year and really been enjoying it (Only issue i had is that the stock fans that come with the case are a bit loud, so i plan on changing them soon)

2 hours ago, Juular said:

I'd add it to front intake.

Thanks, front case it is then.

2 hours ago, Crunken said:

What about the meshify c? fits a full size atx mobo, has good thermals and is smaller than a regular atx case. That's the one i chose for my build last year and really been enjoying it (Only issue i had is that the stock fans that come with the case are a bit loud, so i plan on changing them soon)

Considered the meshify C, it does look awfully slick. Thing is, however, that with Fractal the Define series is the one meant for quiet, so I better go with that.

7 minutes ago, brobdingz said:

Considered the meshify C, it does look awfully slick. Thing is, however, that with Fractal the Define series is the one meant for quiet, so I better go with that.

Yeah it is slightly louder with the fll mesh design, but with some silent fans it is rather quiet, but ofc it might be a better choice going with a silent designed case. Never tried them myself but i've heard the Be Quiet cases are really silent, might be worth looking into

53 minutes ago, brobdingz said:

It wouldn't be that quieter, that matters only when you have full load on smth very powerful like Threadripper \ Intel HEDT and multiple GPUs or multiple HDDs, you don't have neither. Under gaming load you wouldn't notice the difference and on the contrary, Meshify C might be somewhat less noisy even under full load with this config because of lower thermals that better front panel airflow provide.

5 hours ago, Crunken said:

Yeah it is slightly louder with the fll mesh design, but with some silent fans it is rather quiet, but ofc it might be a better choice going with a silent designed case. Never tried them myself but i've heard the Be Quiet cases are really silent, might be worth looking into

5 hours ago, Juular said:

It wouldn't be that quieter, that matters only when you have full load on smth very powerful like Threadripper \ Intel HEDT and multiple GPUs or multiple HDDs, you don't have neither. Under gaming load you wouldn't notice the difference and on the contrary, Meshify C might be somewhat less noisy even under full load with this config because of lower thermals that better front panel airflow provide.

I see, thank you both.

Following your comments, I'm considering the Meshify C.

I see gamers nexus recommend replacing the stock 120mm front fan with something like two noctua NF-A14 fans.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3061-fractal-meshify-c-review-vs-define-c

I'm wondering if that's an overkill for me (no overclocking, but on the other hand it does get quite hot around here during much of the year).

Yeah i'd go with the meshify c if i were you, it's a great case and it's a lot nicer imo to not have the wasted space in the front of the case, and it is quiet if you change the fans + it has excellent airflow 

1 hour ago, brobdingz said:

I see gamers nexus recommend replacing the stock 120mm front fan with something like two noctua NF-A14 fans.

Just add one\two 140mm on the front, 12$ Noctuas will do.

Also, can't help but notice very expensive SSD choice in your build, get Mushkin Pilot instead, it's as fast but costs 90$ less. And i'd recommend saving another 30$ on 650W version of that PSU, that's enough wattage for any gaming build.

1 hour ago, Crunken said:

Yeah i'd go with the meshify c if i were you, it's a great case and it's a lot nicer imo to not have the wasted space in the front of the case, and it is quiet if you change the fans + it has excellent airflow 

22 minutes ago, Juular said:

Just add one\two 140mm on the front, 12$ Noctuas will do.

Also, can't help but notice very expensive SSD choice in your build, get Mushkin Pilot instead, it's as fast but costs 90$ less. And i'd recommend saving another 30$ on 650W version of that PSU, that's enough wattage for any gaming build.

Great! Opting for meshify c plus fans then.

SSD wise, much appreciated, I actually don't have that available for purchase around here.

I went back and forth regarding 750W vs. 650W, chose the 750W since the diff in price is just about small enough for assuaging any speck of doubt.

Thanks again for your help!

6 hours ago, brobdingz said:

around here.

Not us ? So where are you from then ?

2 hours ago, Juular said:

Not us ? So where are you from then ?

Israel :)

1 minute ago, brobdingz said:

Israel :)

Oh ... Alrighty then, refer to this SSD tier list :

21 minutes ago, Juular said:

Alrighty then, refer to this SSD tier list :

Thanks so much!

This is good, right now, out of tier b the adata sx2800 is the cheapest one I have readily available ~$288 (well, if I stick only to the retailers I'm interested in ordering from).

I actually considered the mp510 but it's way more expensive ~400$, then looked at the intel 660p (priced here the same as the adata sx2800 right now), and then reached the adata.

11 minutes ago, brobdingz said:

Thanks so much!

This is good, right now, out of tier b the adata sx2800 is the cheapest one I have readily available ~$288 (well, if I stick only to the retailers I'm interested in ordering from).

I actually considered the mp510 but it's way more expensive ~400$, then looked at the intel 660p (priced here the same as the adata sx2800 right now), and then reached the adata.

Sabrent Rocket, Team MP34, HP EX950 ?

33 minutes ago, brobdingz said:

Thanks so much!

Can you link the website, where you'll be purchasing all your parts from?

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

12 hours ago, Juular said:

Sabrent Rocket, Team MP34, HP EX950 ?

Out of these, only the HP EX950 is available. For 2TB prices here are:

HP EX950 : ~$370.

ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro : ~$310

11 hours ago, VEXICUS said:

Can you link the website, where you'll be purchasing all your parts from?

Sure, here's my build modulo a case there:

https://www.tms.co.il/89361

(for English, click the British flag icon at the top of the page).

Searched a whole lot for the Meshify C - unfortunately it isn't available right now, so I'll have to go with the Define C.

While I have your attention, steering away from the title of this thread - any thoughts on a motherboard for this build? (I chose the Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro, in bold below, after reading reviews).

Here are the z390 mobos offered at that shop, with prices converted to USD:

$146.16    Gigabyte Z390 M
$148.48    Gigabyte Z390 D
$157.76    Gigabyte Z390 UD
$166.17    ASRock Z390 PRO4
$178.35    ASUS PRIME Z390M-PLUS
$179.51    Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
$179.8      MSI Z390-A PRO
$180.96    Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
$193.72    Asus TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING
$205.03    ASUS PRIME Z390-P
$206.48    ASROCK Z390 PHANTOM GAMING 4
$207.64    MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS
$212.28    Asus TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING WIFI
$213.44    Asus TUF Z390-PRO GAMING
$213.44    Asus TUF Z390M-PRO GAMING WIFI
$223.88    Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI
$232.87    Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS Pro WIFI
$232.87    MSI MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK
$233.16    ASROCK Z390 PHANTOM GAMING SLI
$234.32    ASUS PRIME Z390-A
$241.86    Asus ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING
$243.02    ASROCK Z390 PHANTOM GAMING 6
$249.69    Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Elite
$252.01    Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro
$267.96    MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC
$269.12    Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
$275.5      Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro WIFI
$282.75    Asus ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING
$339.59    Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Ultra
$345.39    Asus MAXIMUS XI HERO ROG Z390
$375.26    Gigabyte Z390 Designare
$384.83    Asus MAXIMUS XI HERO ROG Z390 Wi-Fi
$388.02    Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master
$401.07    Asus MAXIMUS XI GENE ROG Z390
$404.84    Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master G2 Edition
$475.02    Asus MAXIMUS XI CODE ROG Z390
$567.53    Asus MAXIMUS XI FORMULA ROG Z390
$591.02    Asus MAXIMUS XI EXTREME ROG Z390
$730.8      Gigabyte Z390 AORUS XTREME

On 1/12/2020 at 7:11 AM, brobdingz said:

It's.... it's really quiet. Depends on your fans tbh, not so much the case. I ran my 5820K/1660 Ti rig in a Meshify C Mini with an NH-L12S, the two stock fans, and a corsair 120mm on the rear, never heard it. Going to move it back to that case this weekend. The Meshify C Mini is exactly the same as the Meshify C, just shorter since it's mATX. 

I'd go with the Meshify C for the smaller footprint, unless you have an actual need for the longer case (aka more 3.5" drives or watercooling). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Gigabyte Z390 boards are the best for the money, you could go cheaper for Gaming X If you don't mind losing one M.2 slot (oh, it has 2x M.2 too but just one heatsink), it'll be good for non-OC'd 9700k (and mildly OC'd too) but Gaming Pro are worth it IMO. Speaking of OC'ing you probably don't need NH-D15 either if you wouldn't do it, i'll see what i can recommend on that side i'd go with be quiet! Dark Rock, smaller, easier to mount probably quieter at low load too.

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

It's.... it's really quiet. Depends on your fans tbh, not so much the case. I ran my 5820K/1660 Ti rig in a Meshify C Mini with an NH-L12S, the two stock fans, and a corsair 120mm on the rear, never heard it. Going to move it back to that case this weekend. The Meshify C Mini is exactly the same as the Meshify C, just shorter since it's mATX. 

I'd go with the Meshify C for the smaller footprint, unless you have an actual need for the longer case (aka more 3.5" drives or watercooling). 

Thanks!

Alas, I can't get the Meshify C right now. (following your comment and others here, I'll see if I can work out something along the lines of getting a "loaner" case while I wait for the Meshify C to be in stock).

6 minutes ago, brobdingz said:

Thanks!

Alas, I can't get the Meshify C right now. (following your comment and others here, I'll see if I can work out something along the lines of getting a "loaner" case while I wait for the Meshify C to be in stock).

I'd say that's worth it, they're gorgeous cases. This is my Meshify C Mini, so basically just a scaled down Meshify ?
IMG_2642.thumb.jpg.ee75169727efe0b54d58d705417a2b2e.jpg

Everything just fits in perfectly, it's a very well laid out case with just enough room for most common hardware configs. No real wasted space. Cable management is excellent as well:

IMG_2657.thumb.jpg.66a994f5513595b09b16aa59710ec6f8.jpg

Really a fan of how the 2.5" HDD/SSD mounts are spaced perfectly for common SATA power cables. Tie downs in just the place you need them too. The full ATX Meshify C is the same, IIRC @For Science! even stuffed a 1080 Ti SLI setup in there, it fits exactly perfectly with 0 wasted space. 

EDIT: Yep, they did, build log is here: 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Also look at CM MB511 and H500 cases, even though i'm not personally a fan of their aesthetics choices, the cases themselves are rather good.