What's the best upgrade for my pc under 150$

NathanielCE
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
2 hours ago, NathanielCE said:

What would be the benefit of a new PSU?

I personally find the PSU upgrade a bit marginal unless the PSU is old.  I do not know the quality of the PSU.  It may or may not be poor.  It is extremely large for your setup though.  The issue with low quality power supplies is they can be dangerous to the system.  It is possible that the extremely large size of the PSU means you might be protected from that somewhat though it does waste power.

I see two choices:

1: a 144hz 1080p monitor. this will see immediate game benefit and your rig can handle the extra oomph that will be needed to run it that fast.

2: faster memory and a high(er) quality smaller PSU.  These things will likely NOT show palpable game improvement though the memory will drive up fps numbers you have little use for because you’re current monitor can’t display them anyway.  The PSU increases the life of your system and reduces power consumption.

So, I have exactly 150$ to spend on upgrades for my pc. I've looked, but I can't think of anything under my price point that would be worthwhile. Any suggestions to improve my pc or setup? Thanks!

Here's my system:

Ryzen 7 2700x

X470 gaming plus motherboard

Ripjaws v 16gb 2400 RAM

Xfx Rx 5700 plus

Sentey MBP750-HM Power Supply, 750w

corsair mp300 120gb m.2 ssd

Unknown 250gb ssd

Unknown 1000gb HHD 

Acer G276HL 60hz 1080p monitor

Arctic freezer 33 esports edition cooler

redragon k552-r rgb mechanical keyboard

logitech g502 mouse

3 minutes ago, NathanielCE said:

So, I have exactly 150$ to spend on upgrades for my pc. I've looked, but I can't think of anything under my price point that would be worthwhile. Any suggestions to improve

A 1080p 144hz display or save up for 240hz display

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

A 1080p 144hz display or save up for 240hz display

IMO 144 to 240 is not that big of a difference but 60 to 144 is night and day. 

I would say a kit of 3000-3200mhz ram, getting a 1080p 144hz monitor, or getting a better psu. (You can get both the kit of ram and psu for under $150)

1 hour ago, Retro_R said:

I would say a kit of 3000-3200mhz ram, getting a 1080p 144hz monitor, or getting a better psu. (You can get both the kit of ram and psu for under $150)

2 hours ago, NathanielCE said:

I personally find the PSU upgrade a bit marginal unless the PSU is old.  I do not know the quality of the PSU.  It may or may not be poor.  It is extremely large for your setup though.  The issue with low quality power supplies is they can be dangerous to the system.  It is possible that the extremely large size of the PSU means you might be protected from that somewhat though it does waste power.

I see two choices:

1: a 144hz 1080p monitor. this will see immediate game benefit and your rig can handle the extra oomph that will be needed to run it that fast.

2: faster memory and a high(er) quality smaller PSU.  These things will likely NOT show palpable game improvement though the memory will drive up fps numbers you have little use for because you’re current monitor can’t display them anyway.  The PSU increases the life of your system and reduces power consumption.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.