GTX 1660 vs RX 580 (135 USD price difference)

RussianSalad

So I'm looking into buying a graphics card, and locally the best prices I can find that match my budget are (converted to us dollars) 200 USD for an 8GB RX 580 or 335 USD for a GTX 1660 6GB. There's also a 234 USD Powercolor RX 590 8GB that looks kind of crappy in the pictures. What do you recommend I buy? Is the 135 dollar price difference worth it? I'm not the biggest gamer ever so gaming is not the primary use for my pc. Thanks!

Main system: Ryzen 5 1600 | ASRock A320M | 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 RAM | GTX 1060 | 1TB WD BLUE

Server: AMD A6-7400K@4.3Ghz | 8GB 1866 DDR3 RAM | 2TB total storage

On the go: Thinkpad E440 | i5 4200M | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | 500GB HDD

18 minutes ago, RussianSalad said:

So I'm looking into buying a graphics card, and locally the best prices I can find that match my budget are (converted to us dollars) 200 USD for an 8GB RX 580 or 335 USD

The 590 would be the best value there, it's kind of close to the 1660/1070 anyways
RX 580 otherwise

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

All pretth meh or bad deals.

If i had to pick one of those, I'd go RX 590 as long as you have a good enough power supply.

If your current video card is the GTX 1060 in your signature, i would save my money. Its not a big enough upgrade to justify the cost if you value your money.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

I'd shop for a used gtx1080 (not the mini version)...I'm sure you can find one for no more than $300 USD that is factory overclocked...and it will be worth the money...