Can I use a RX 570 for games and VGA of iGPU as output?

tasnim_tamim

Hello!

I have a Ryzen 3 2200G system with it's Vega 8 iGPU. I am getting a XFX Radeon 570 8GB GPU by the end of this month.

Now I didn't realize my big f**k-up until now...... I have a VGA only monito whereas the GPU doesn't has VGA. I had been using my motherboard's VGA output with the monitor.

I can use a converter but the latency it introduces is well not noticeable on most games... except the game I mainly play which makes it completely unplayable.

So my question is, can I use my iGPU (Radeon Vega8) as monitor output and GPU (Radeon RX 570) for games? Can't afford another monitor anytime soon so now it's killing me.

What ports do you have on the GPU. I used to run a vga to dvi adapter from my monitor and had no issues with latency. It will act as a pass through as no data is being "converted".

Spoiler

My Rig {TEAM RED} --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X GPU: Powercolor Red Dragon RX590 8GB PSU: Novatech Powerstation V2 500w Semi Modular 

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming RAM: Adata XPG 16GB 3000mhz Storage: Sandisk Ultra 120GB SSD + 1 WD 1TB Blues

Case: Corsair Carbide Spec 05   Cooling:  AMD Raith Spectre RGB  Monitor:  Benq XL2420Z

Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion SPECTRUM  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SPECTRUM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just now, Chrizl1990 said:

What ports do you have on the GPU. I used to run a vga to dvi adapter from my monitor and had no issues with latency. It will act as a pass through as no data is being "converted".

From the GPU's specification page:

Outputs

Dual link Support Y

Max Supported Resolution (DIGITAL) 4096 x 2160

Output - Display Port 3

Output - HDMI 1

Output - DL-DVI-D 1

My monitor has just 1 VGA port... that's all. No DVI, HDMI or anything.

3 minutes ago, Chrizl1990 said:

Some modern cards don't have built in support for VGA using a common DVI-I to VGA adapter. Instead they only have a DVI-D port, which is digital only. You would have to make use of an active adapter to convert DisplayPort or DVI-D to VGA. 

@tasnim_tamim I honestly think that you would have a better time just getting a different monitor. I know it isn't what you would like to hear, but if you look good enough you can find really inexpensive monitors. Where are you located? A few years ago I got a 23" 1080p Samsung monitor used but in like new condition (still had the box even) for $15 US. I still use it today. 

2 minutes ago, Lenovo1984 said:

Some modern cards don't have built in support for VGA using a common DVI-I to VGA adapter. Instead they only have a DVI-D port, which is digital only. You would have to make use of an active adapter to convert DisplayPort or DVI-D to VGA. 

@tasnim_tamim I honestly think that you would have a better time just getting a different monitor. I know it isn't what you would like to hear, but if you look good enough you can find really inexpensive monitors. Where are you located? A few years ago I got a 23" 1080p Samsung monitor used but in like new condition (still had the box even) for $15 US. I still use it today. 

What about this one, it's supposed to support Active Dual Link

Newegg DVI-D to VGA Adapter

Spoiler

My Rig {TEAM RED} --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X GPU: Powercolor Red Dragon RX590 8GB PSU: Novatech Powerstation V2 500w Semi Modular 

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming RAM: Adata XPG 16GB 3000mhz Storage: Sandisk Ultra 120GB SSD + 1 WD 1TB Blues

Case: Corsair Carbide Spec 05   Cooling:  AMD Raith Spectre RGB  Monitor:  Benq XL2420Z

Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion SPECTRUM  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SPECTRUM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 minute ago, Chrizl1990 said:

That probably would work, though I have no way of knowing for sure. It seems like a good option. 

3 minutes ago, Chrizl1990 said:

I have a HDMI to VGA converter that looks exactly like this. It's active converter. Gets really hot after hours of use and has slight latency to a certain degree.

9 minutes ago, Lenovo1984 said:

Live in BD. While I bought my VGA only monitor 2 months ago for like almost $44, most 18.5" HDMI monitor costs around $60 new (I could get used for cheaper but 70% of them has some sort of defective).

39 minutes ago, tasnim_tamim said:

Hello!

I have a Ryzen 3 2200G system with it's Vega 8 iGPU. I am getting a XFX Radeon 570 8GB GPU by the end of this month.

Now I didn't realize my big f**k-up until now...... I have a VGA only monito whereas the GPU doesn't has VGA. I had been using my motherboard's VGA output with the monitor.

I can use a converter but the latency it introduces is well not noticeable on most games... except the game I mainly play which makes it completely unplayable.

So my question is, can I use my iGPU (Radeon Vega8) as monitor output and GPU (Radeon RX 570) for games? Can't afford another monitor anytime soon so now it's killing me.

Uhh, it should work. I use my gt 1030 for my 1080p screen and the igpu on my cpu for a 1280x1024 vga screen. It worked first try but dont know ow itll go for you since your on AMD

Edit: Whoops just noticed you only had one display. So im not sure if this would actually work, the other guys are probably your best bet.

Edited by JCP

1 hour ago, Chrizl1990 said:

There's dvi-d and dvi-I. Dvi-d is digital only. So there would be no way to convert vga to dvi d without a digital to analogue converter. Which will add latency and more often than not artifacting.

Dvi I is both analogue and digital signal. But its an all but dead standard and not featured on many devices these days.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb