Adding Subwoofer into 2.0 Powered Speaker

Aznsteil
Go to solution Solved by N.tony,

I guess the sub out on the R1850DB is an aberration, maybe it was an experiment or something...

When you go up the price range, it is assumed that you are buying separate speakers and amplifiers, so active speakers disappear at that point. On the lower end, though, you normally see 2.1 systems with the amp being built into the larger casing of the sub, while the satellites are made as small as possible.

If you intend to get a high grade amp down the line, maybe buying an active 2.0 speaker pair was not the best choice? ? You say you can still return it? I would maybe consider in this case to go for something like ELAC's (as was suggested in the other thread) and either get the amp you want or some cheapo temp amp for the time being...

However, before you invest thousands into your setup, you also have to consider the usage scenario... HiFi and audiophile stuff is sadly not based on hard science as much as, for example, the visual output devices - there isn't really an objective set of meaningful characteristics (though even for monitors those characteristics they put on the box are hardly meaningful), and after a certain price range (which comes way sooner than you would expect) it mostly comes down to personal preferences/personal anatomy.

What's worse, somewhere slightly above that price range comes another point of diminishing returns, where the room treatment and speaker placement can negate all improvements of the setup.

In my room, where a somewhat loud desktop is sitting at the edge of the desk, I mainly got the R1850's out of aesthetic reasons - previous Microlab B-77 didn't match the black&white color scheme. Yet I would be hard pressed to find the difference in sound, despite almost triple the price. Maybe I'm half-deaf, maybe it's the shape of my ears, maybe it's the soundcard, who knows... But I bet at least half of the people who buy sound systems over 100€/speaker are overkilling it ? Of course, just as with driving cars, self-reporting will tell you that ~90% of the people think they are better than average at it, which leads to getting platinum audiocables and other snakeoil...

I'm saying all that to kind of warn you, maybe? Do you even feel the need for a subwoofer right now with your S2000's? Would it make sense to spend hundreds of €s on a device based on the subjective opinion of people, knowing that there's a great chance they either don't know what they are talking about, or they have a different set of preferences? (I'm saying that as a person who has definitely spent dozens if not hundreds of hours listening to audiophile talks and dev interviews, so I understand the urge)

Hello guys,

I bought myself the Edifier S2000Pro by this threads recommendation: 

They sound amazing (I can still return them until 31.01.20 though), now I want to add a subwoofer onto them. Unfortunately I don't have any output left for one. I'm using the Oppo HA 2 SE Line Output for the Speaker. There is no passthrough with the Edifier S2000Pro.

What do I do?

8 minutes ago, emosun said:

a splitter

https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Splitter-Syncwire-Nylon-Braided-Stereo/dp/B07431YDWM/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=3.5%2Bmm%2Bsplitter%2Bhifi&qid=1578270692&sr=8-13&th=1 Something like this? Does the sound quality suffer by doing that? The Oppo HA 2 SE state that the "Line-out Level" equals 1 Vrms. Do I have to worry about anything, if I split the signal like this (cable length for example)?

https://www.amazon.com/Canton-High-Performance-Active-Woofer-Black/dp/B071NW3QJL/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Canton+AS+85.3&qid=1578271630&sr=8-1 This sub has specific Low Level Inputs and Outputs. Isn't that a more elegant solution, or is it just a niche product for my needs?

5 minutes ago, Aznsteil said:

Something like this? Does the sound quality suffer by doing that?

yeah like that it should be fine. the cable length shouldn't be an issue unless it were 20 ft long or something.

6 minutes ago, Aznsteil said:

This sub has specific Low Level Inputs and Outputs. Isn't that a more elegant solution, or is it just a niche product for my needs?

it also has a high level input you can use too. no need to overcomplicate a simple setup.

8 minutes ago, emosun said:

it also has a high level input you can use too. no need to overcomplicate a simple setup.

Unfortunately I don't have high level connection with my HA 2 SE and S2000Pro's
https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-S2000pro-Bluetooth-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0725GZQFZ
https://www.amazon.com/Oppo-HA-2SE-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B01LYKI8XQ

I will use a splitter as you said and will search for an active subwoofer with unbalanced rca inputs. I want to use the RME ADI-2 DAC in the distant future, there shouldn't be any combatibility issues.

Thank you emosun for your time! :)

I got a cheaper Edifier R1850DB at the end of summer (it was only 141€ for some reason)

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B073W1R4XQ/

It has a dedicated sub out (on top of 2 sets of RCA inputs, a digital input and even a bluetooth), maybe something to consider as a less messy option

81fvwPLCnnL._SL1500_.jpg

Most 2.1 systems use a simple setup: sub takes signal from one of the stereo channels. A splitter with proper impedance rating will do fine. Then get a stand alone sub, which should have level/gain function. Then you can tune the sub to work with your room and attenuate the 2.0 speakers volume to your liking. Master volume will be your source volume. 

Or if you are really looking for some special pre-mixer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NE5532-Low-pass-Filter-Board-DC12-24V-Subwoofer-2-1CH-Pre-Amplifier-Preamp-Board/223682754413?hash=item341487f76d:g:020AAOSwGhxbpcFl

@N.tony Why would you NOT add a feature like this on higher priced models ?

My research so far:

I'm having

• one 3.5 mm stereo line output as source (Oppo HA2 - SE as DAC)
  • Edifier S2000Pro XLR input option
  • Edifier S2000Pro RCA input option

There is no LFE / Subout option in this setup. All in - and outputs are low level connections from my understanding, so no high level option either. I've mentioned that I want to buy the RME ADI-2 DAC in the distant future, which has 2x XLR and 1x RCA L+R. With that I could simply just connect my speakers via XLR and the sub via RCA. So I was searching for a sub with a simple RCA low level connection (or any low level type, since you could use infinite adapters between them from my understanding - RCA, XLR, LFE, 3.5 mm, 6.3 mm etc). RCA passthrough would be great too, but they are really rare among subwoofers.

Then I've bumped into studio subwoofer, and alot of them have these XLR passthroughs. And if speaker connected through subwoofer, the high pass filter would kick in, so no manually adjusting the crossover frequenzy, correct?

RME ADI-2 DAC in distant future, Oppo HA2 - SE now, with that in mind this is my list of desired items so far:

• 320 € Prodipe Pro 10S - looks like a sub, which I like, not alot of reviews found on amazon and thomann. seems to be fine, cheapest on the list.
  • 360 € JBL LSR310S - downfiring sub, I'm afraid my neighbors below would kill me. looks ok. would need 3.5 mm to 6.3 mm L+R adapter
  • 370 € KRK Systems KRK 10s2 - according to reviews, they sound amazing and build quality is on point but they are absolutely ugly in my opinion. they are, right?
  • 380 € PreSonus Temblor T10 - looks fine to me, has option for second subwoofer with XLR daisy chain. some thomann and alot of amazon reviews destroy its longevity
  • 400 € Adam Audio T10S - downfiring sub, listed since july 2019, so the newest in this list. looks fine to me. not a lot of reviews out there, since new
  • 460 € Yamaha HS8S - downfiring sub, would need 3.5 mm to 6.3 mm L+R adapter, reviewer seem to love it, but 460 € is alot of money for me, the S2000Pro cost me 400 €
  1. Question: I've heard from PS Audio that a subwoofer shouldn't be noticeable, just enough to make the fullrange speaker appear to have more bass. I'm no basshead, I just enjoy "full range audio" I guess. Question is: Do downfiring subwoofers make my neighbors hate me more instead of frontfiring ones? (I live on the 4th floor, the flat right below me is empty, but flats below that are not. I do have one neighbor on the 4th floor though)
  2. Question: I dont want to mess with splitters, because I think soundquality would suffer from it. But does soundquality "suffer" from subwoofer passthrough? They are studio solutions after all, why would they suffer, right?
  3. Question: Originally I didn't think a subwoofer would be that expensive. And I just researched studio subwoofers with the connections for my need, Klipsch and other mainstream brands I didn't researched yet (I've read Klipsch was a good branding for audiophiles, but they changed into a mainstream marketing brand, which led into bad sound and build quality?). Any other subwoofer brands (specific models) or solutions are highly appreciated!

Help me on my path to become an audiophile :)

(and correct me about any myth I still might believe in, watched this and this though)

I guess the sub out on the R1850DB is an aberration, maybe it was an experiment or something...

When you go up the price range, it is assumed that you are buying separate speakers and amplifiers, so active speakers disappear at that point. On the lower end, though, you normally see 2.1 systems with the amp being built into the larger casing of the sub, while the satellites are made as small as possible.

If you intend to get a high grade amp down the line, maybe buying an active 2.0 speaker pair was not the best choice? ? You say you can still return it? I would maybe consider in this case to go for something like ELAC's (as was suggested in the other thread) and either get the amp you want or some cheapo temp amp for the time being...

However, before you invest thousands into your setup, you also have to consider the usage scenario... HiFi and audiophile stuff is sadly not based on hard science as much as, for example, the visual output devices - there isn't really an objective set of meaningful characteristics (though even for monitors those characteristics they put on the box are hardly meaningful), and after a certain price range (which comes way sooner than you would expect) it mostly comes down to personal preferences/personal anatomy.

What's worse, somewhere slightly above that price range comes another point of diminishing returns, where the room treatment and speaker placement can negate all improvements of the setup.

In my room, where a somewhat loud desktop is sitting at the edge of the desk, I mainly got the R1850's out of aesthetic reasons - previous Microlab B-77 didn't match the black&white color scheme. Yet I would be hard pressed to find the difference in sound, despite almost triple the price. Maybe I'm half-deaf, maybe it's the shape of my ears, maybe it's the soundcard, who knows... But I bet at least half of the people who buy sound systems over 100€/speaker are overkilling it ? Of course, just as with driving cars, self-reporting will tell you that ~90% of the people think they are better than average at it, which leads to getting platinum audiocables and other snakeoil...

I'm saying all that to kind of warn you, maybe? Do you even feel the need for a subwoofer right now with your S2000's? Would it make sense to spend hundreds of €s on a device based on the subjective opinion of people, knowing that there's a great chance they either don't know what they are talking about, or they have a different set of preferences? (I'm saying that as a person who has definitely spent dozens if not hundreds of hours listening to audiophile talks and dev interviews, so I understand the urge)

47 minutes ago, N.tony said:

'm saying all that to kind of warn you, maybe? Do you even feel the need for a subwoofer right now with your S2000's? Would it make sense to spend hundreds of €s on a device based on the subjective opinion of people, knowing that there's a great chance they either don't know what they are talking about, or they have a different set of preferences? (I'm saying that as a person who has definitely spent dozens if not hundreds of hours listening to audiophile talks and dev interviews, so I understand the urge)

I feel like someone talking outside from the box I'm sitting in. That addictive consumption in consumber behavier box. While I read your reply I was wearing my DT 1990 Pro and listened to amazon music's playlist "best 2010er". Weirdly enough I was suprised how good music sounded on them, like I forgot the details it reveals. How do I describe it. Switching to the S2000Pro I would  recognize these details in music, too, if I really paid attention to it. But with my DT 1990, it's like they are presented to me unsolicited? Switching back to the active speaker to confirm if they are there: yes they are, if you really searching for it, but they could be gone easily if you just listened casually to them.

I think I forgot why I wanted speaker initially. I wanted to have that DT 1990 unquestioned detail presenting to the room to share with friends, without always wearing the headphones.

DAC's the same, only amp (ha2 se vs integrated speaker) and driver are different. It has to be the active speaker then. There was bass lacking with them, but I think buying a subwoofer wouldn't change my feeling about the details. I didn't find the ELAC's at that time shipping to germany, and the amp listed wasn't available either. Since I don't have any experience about speaker amp setup, I thought going with the S2000Pro would be way more convinient.

Sorry @Derkoli, I kinda not appreciate your efforts by my indecisiveness. I will return the S2000Pro and hopefully find a better fitting pair for me with your and mina's help. I keep the speaker stands though.

@N.tony Thank you kind stranger from the internet, you invested several minutes in your reply and saved me from a non fitting purchase decision. This reply is by far the best and most helpful.

(Do I open a new thread for Edifier S2000Pro Replacement, or do I ask in this thread? Or making a completely new thread with linking both threads with a little tl,dr?)

4 hours ago, Aznsteil said:

Sorry @Derkoli, I kinda not appreciate your efforts by my indecisiveness. I will return the S2000Pro and hopefully find a better fitting pair for me with your and mina's help. I keep the speaker stands though.

Atleast you found speakers you didn't like, so you can avoid a similar product in the future, Audio can be hit and miss.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

@Aznsteil haha, I'm glad you found it helpful, I wasn't even sure it's something anyone likes or wants to hear, I know full well that from time to time I am falling into this uncontrollable urge to get something without properly figuring out if it's right for me...

And for the audio the choice process is super-frustrating, you're basically relying on people's weird translation of their feelings into a set of random terms that tell you how *they* are differentiating between the speakers...

I guess one more piece of advice I could give is to use your great headphones (fellow beyerdynamic fan here ?) and check some high quality comparison youtube videos - even if it's not 100% the experience you're gonna get, it is at least a good approximation, and somewhat represents relative difference between speaker sets - maybe it will help you to find the right direction?

(you should probably also go check the tracks from the description to establish a baseline)

23 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Atleast you found speakers you didn't like, so you can avoid a similar product in the future, Audio can be hit and miss.

I guess, still feeling bad about wasting your time ? The ELAC seem to be very nice according to sound demo on youtube. I have no idea with what amp to pair though.

@N.tony I've listened to that linked channel, until I realised they are really limited to a few speakers. I've started to listen to zreviews sound demo playlist. Either his mic is way better than digital stereophony, or the klipsch doesn't sound anything near the elac to me. The klipsch r-15pm allow you to watch through a closed window to see the world, while the elac uni-fi ub5 opens a big door, where you can even listen to the wind outside. No idea what audio terms would describe correctly what I just did but yea these sound demo are really helpful.

Feel free to join my new thread.

I guess, still feeling bad about wasting your time ? The ELAC seem to be very nice according to sound demo on youtube. I have no idea with what amp to pair though.

@N.tony I've listened to that linked channel, until I realised they are really limited to a few speakers. I've started to listen to zreviews sound demo playlist. Either his mic is way better than digital stereophony, or the klipsch doesn't sound anything near the elac to me. The klipsch r-15pm allow you to watch through a closed window to see the world, while the elac uni-fi ub5 opens a big door, where you can even listen to the wind outside. No idea what audio terms would describe correctly what I just did but yea these sound demo are really helpful.

Feel free to join my new thread.

No worries! Atleast you found something you don't like.

ELAC's are generally a mixed bag of reviews, some people love them, some people find something to be "missing" from the sound, I feel that something is missing personally.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

ELAC's are generally a mixed bag of reviews, some people love them, some people find something to be "missing" from the sound, I feel that something is missing personally.

Since your audio equipment seems to be really really prized, I want to believe you stepped out of said door and enjoyed music on a level, I could never imagine. With that said, what are you exactly missing with the elac's (in figurative speaking)

Since your audio equipment seems to be really really prized, I want to believe you stepped out of said door and enjoyed music on a level, I could never imagine. With that said, what are you exactly missing with the elac's (in figurative speaking)

I really can't put my finger on it, they had great treble, but something else was missing. They just didn't convey sound in the same way that other speakers do, I really wanted to like them, but I just can't get along with them. Something was missing from them. I tried them on my system at home, and they still just didn't sound quite right. I'm fairly sure it's the lower midrange/upper bass where it has issues, but I'm honestly not sure. I need to buy a measurement microphone to see really.