Second SSD isn't detected?

DthStrsDaughter66
Go to solution Solved by Statik,

Try isolating the issue. Unplug your working SSD, and use the exact cables and ports from the working one on the not working one, and see if it's detected. Doing this you can isolate the issue to the SSD, cable, or mobo

Hey there, newbie PC builder here.

I recently build my first PC and everything went great, but only one of my two SSDs was detected in the BIOS. I decided to deal with it later and installed Windows 10 and eventually all my games and software on the one drive that was working. But now I'm running out of storage fast and I really need a second drive. I've made sure that everything is hooked up correctly and even tried swapping SATA ports and changing out the SATA power cable to the PSU, but nothing would make the SSD be detected or even light up the red light on the side like the SSD that was working (both are made by Silicon Power btw). I even bought a new SSD in case the one I had was faulty, but even the new one won't work. All my SATA ports seem to be enabled in the BIOS (but I'm not really familiar with it), so I just don't get why I can't hook up a second drive. Any help would be much appreciated...

P.S. The only thing I haven't tried is using a different SATA data cable because I don't have another one to try and the one I have looks intact, but maybe this really is the problem?

Try isolating the issue. Unplug your working SSD, and use the exact cables and ports from the working one on the not working one, and see if it's detected. Doing this you can isolate the issue to the SSD, cable, or mobo

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

the SSD might not have a Partition now.

write in the windows search "Partition" and select the Harddrive partition and format?  (my PC is not in english but there is only one option)

go down the list and look for the SSD (might be not utilized space which is indicated as a black bar instead of a blue one)

click on it and make a new volume.

@Statik ok this is probably a stupid question but when I plug the working one back in, will it still boot up to the OS correctly like nothing happened?

you can go into the bios and say it which SSD it has to boot to.

normally it should boot to the same drive as before.

@K0NG Thanks, but I've already tried that and there's not any sign of any drive other than the one that's working, not even an unallocated space

22 minutes ago, DthStrsDaughter66 said:

Hey there, newbie PC builder here.

I recently build my first PC and everything went great, but only one of my two SSDs was detected in the BIOS. I decided to deal with it later and installed Windows 10 and eventually all my games and software on the one drive that was working. But now I'm running out of storage fast and I really need a second drive. I've made sure that everything is hooked up correctly and even tried swapping SATA ports and changing out the SATA power cable to the PSU, but nothing would make the SSD be detected or even light up the red light on the side like the SSD that was working (both are made by Silicon Power btw). I even bought a new SSD in case the one I had was faulty, but even the new one won't work. All my SATA ports seem to be enabled in the BIOS (but I'm not really familiar with it), so I just don't get why I can't hook up a second drive. Any help would be much appreciated...

P.S. The only thing I haven't tried is using a different SATA data cable because I don't have another one to try and the one I have looks intact, but maybe this really is the problem?

Since you are using Windows 10, search up Hard Drive in Start and it should go to Disk Drive Management (or something like that). There should be a drive that is unallocated. Allocate it.

If that doesn't solve your problem, make sure that you have connected the SATA data cable and the SATA power cable properly.

If that doesn't work, check if you are using RAID-0

If you aren't using RAID-0, your SSD is dead and you have to send it back or buy another one.   

TsmDan Studios and Computer Epicenter take absolutely no liability or responsibility for any damages caused by operation on your device. If you damage something, don't blame it on me. If I break something, it's not my fault.

WARNING: Opening a laptop will immediately void any warranty on that laptop

WARNING: Your price for Builds will increase twofold because of insurance

Thanks everyone, I decided to switch SATA ports again and for some reason when I plugged it into SATA 1 instead of all the others, it worked! Now it shows up in Disk Management for partition. 

2 hours ago, DthStrsDaughter66 said:

@Statik ok this is probably a stupid question but when I plug the working one back in, will it still boot up to the OS correctly like nothing happened?

Yes.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro