using 4 slots of ram on AM4

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,

Depends on your use case. For gaming more than 16 GB is generally considered overkill. If you have an app that can make use of 32 GB, you should see better performance.

It just means adding more RAM won't give you additional read/write speed (bandwidth). If you had quad channel you'd have to populate all four slots to get full memory speed.

is it possible to use all the 4 slots of ram on an AM4 motherboard?

i have 2x8GB now, i would like to purchase another same pair of ram to have 32GB in total

will it work or is it pointless to buy since AM4 only support dual channel?

Dual channel means that each pair of sticks will work in tandem, not that you can only use two of them. So for example stick 1+3 and 2+4 will work together to double the bandwith. Quad channel means all for of them would work together to quadruple it.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Dual channel means that two pairs of sticks will work in tandem, not that you can only use two of them. So for example stick 1+3 and 2+4 will work together to double the bandwith. Quad channel means all for of them would work together to quadruple it.

so if i purchase another pair of ram it will work but it wont give me any better performance? is that right?

Depends on your use case. For gaming more than 16 GB is generally considered overkill. If you have an app that can make use of 32 GB, you should see better performance.

It just means adding more RAM won't give you additional read/write speed (bandwidth). If you had quad channel you'd have to populate all four slots to get full memory speed.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Also possible the IMC will struggle with all four RAM slots populated, and you might have to reduce frequency to get them all to work. 

So potentially you may lose performance.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

thank you, so i will just save the money to buy better gpu then