1 TB OS Boot drive + Storage Partitions

Mikealongo

Good morning,

Tomorrow I will upgrade my 120 SSD with an 1 TB 860 EVO, and I wonder if I shuld make any partitions to it in order to have in one partition the OS and in the other one space to have a steam library mainly (With just a few games to increase load speeds) alonside with some files. If yes, what would the space in each partition be?

Thank you all in advance and happy new year

Hello,

If you are using a PC I recommend of using the 120GB SSD as an OS drive and the 1TB one as for everything else.

If you are using a laptop check if you have space for 2 SSD's and do the same.

If neither then format the new 1TB SSD making partitions like:

C:/ for Windows 100GB (Check on google on how to get exactly 100GB and not 99.9GB if these things bother you)

D:/ for everything else.

Partitions are always recommended when using 1 drive with windows on the same drive. Reason being that if windows gets corrupted and you reinstall it you can actually format just the partition and all you'd lose is desktop, downloads, browser data and other stuff from C drive but nothing from D drive.

Edit: For the second question in your post.

Yeah just delete all partitions then create a new one and format it. The new one will basically be the drive itself of 120GB (110ish). There's no risk to it other than losing those drivers which you can probably get from your manufacturer's website.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

3 minutes ago, zeros said:

If you are using a PC I recommend of using the 120GB SSD as an OS drive and the 1TB one as for everything else.

Firstly, thank you for your fast reply.

Im on a full Tower and I can add another drive without any problem, but i wanted the upgrade not only because I wanted a faster ssd but because de current one is almost full and i wanted to leave enough space to the "C" for the future...

I was realy thinking in the 100 - 200 GB for "C" drive and the rest for storage drive path, but now Im not sure.

It would be stupid going that way?

Thank You

3 hours ago, Mikealongo said:

Firstly, thank you for your fast reply.

Im on a full Tower and I can add another drive without any problem, but i wanted the upgrade not only because I wanted a faster ssd but because de current one is almost full and i wanted to leave enough space to the "C" for the future...

I was realy thinking in the 100 - 200 GB for "C" drive and the rest for storage drive path, but now Im not sure.

It would be stupid going that way?

Thank You

In this case buy the new drive, copy what you need onto it from your current SSD and then put the windows DVD or USB into computer. From within windows installation you can delete all partitions from the old drive (watch out so you don't accidentally delete the new SSD partition).

Format the new unallocated drive and install windows onto it. I never went over 80GB with the C partition with windows and programs only on it. All my games are on a different SSD and so are my downloads. Though I also have a HDD for storing more stuff that I don't use all the time.

The attached picture is one I took off the internet. As you can see it only has one drive with 3 partitions, Drive 0, you would have this as your current SSD. First click on delete for each of these then format what would show up as drive 0 unallocated.

Your second SSD would show up as Drive 1

10-Windows-10-reformat-partition.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

2 hours ago, zeros said:

In this case buy the new drive, copy what you need onto it from your current SSD and then put the windows DVD or USB into computer. From within windows installation you can delete all partitions from the old drive (watch out so you don't accidentally delete the new SSD partition).

Format the new unallocated drive and install windows onto it. I never went over 80GB with the C partition with windows and programs only on it. All my games are on a different SSD and so are my downloads. Though I also have a HDD for storing more stuff that I don't use all the time.

The attached picture is one I took off the internet. As you can see it only has one drive with 3 partitions, Drive 0, you would have this as your current SSD. First click on delete for each of these then format what would show up as drive 0 unallocated.

Your second SSD would show up as Drive 1

10-Windows-10-reformat-partition.jpg

Hmm I dont have a Windows CD or USB to boot with, I have never, my Windows came pre instaled and I just have the windows key (one microsoft worker gave it to me).

I was planning on using the acronis true image (WD edition, i have a SanDisk drive and a WD my passport, so I can work with the software) to clone the drive using a usb image to boot with and selecting the manual mode. I hope I can change the partitions there and create the new one, because I thick that in automatic mode it will only clone the partitions and allocate to "C" the reset of the space

• 2 weeks later...

What did you do? :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 8:32 PM, zeros said:

What did you do? :D

Sorry I dont know Why i didnt see the post

I Colned the drive with the same capacity using acronis and then created a new drive unit with the unallocated space.

But tomorrow i will start a fresh install of windows (im going to migrate to AMD) and i will creaete the new Drive frome the wizzard and then sellec the unallocated space to install windows ?