Selecting a new PSU

foxtrot26187

So I've posted here and a few other places concerning my 2019 EVGA 500W 80+ GD PSU.  The general consensus is that it's ok but it's not exactly all that good and I made a bad choice in PSU. Even though I hate replacing something I just bought,  I rather not put any risk on the new GPU I plan to sink $400+ on.

Looking over the PSU tier list, which would you all recommend more?  Ones an A+ the other an A-.

Option 1 A+

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/38w7Y

Option 2 A-

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6Y66Mp

Here's what I plan to run.   Mind you I have most of this already, minus the 5700XT.  Placeholder wise I put option 2 on the list but I have the EVGA unit I listed above.

Build:

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 minutes ago, foxtrot26187 said:

So I've posted here and a few other places concerning my 2019 EVGA 500W 80+ GD PSU.  The general consensus is that it's ok but it's not exactly all that good and I made a bad choice in PSU. Even though I hate replacing something I just bought,  I rather not put any risk on the new GPU I plan to sink $400+ on.

Looking over the PSU tier list, which would you all recommend more?  Ones an A+ the other an A-.

Option 1 A+

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/38w7Y

Option 2 A-

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6Y66Mp

Here's what I plan to run.   Mind you I have most of this already, minus the 5700XT.  Placeholder wise I put option 2 on the list but I have the EVGA unit I listed above.

Build:

Option number 2 will be good choice imo

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

Do you already have it? If you do, then you can keep using it. You're likely to experience coil whine, but that isn't dangerous, just annoying.

:)

15 minutes ago, foxtrot26187 said:

Have you tried contacting EVGA? They'll likely send you a replacement if you mention there's a lot of coil whine.

However, Coil whine isn't dangerous in the slightest and your PSU isn't a risk to your graphics card. It's good enough to not need replacement IMO.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Seems option 2 is the more preferred choice, which is fine with me. As a brand I do like Corsair, not gonna lie I do like that RGB Kratos though.

6 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Do you already have it? If you do, then you can keep using it. You're likely to experience coil whine, but that isn't dangerous, just annoying.

Have the EVGA unit?  Yes I do already have it and it's installed.  It's not giving me any issue but there has been a lot some doubt cast on its ability to effectively power a 5700XT.  Apparently it's a budget unit that's better suited for an entry PC, not something meant for a mid-range card.

2 minutes ago, foxtrot26187 said:

Seems option 2 is the more preferred choice, which is fine with me. As a brand I do like Corsair, not gonna lie I do like that RGB Kratos though.

Have the EVGA unit?  Yes I do already have it and it's installed.  It's not giving me any issue but there has been a lot some doubt cast on its ability to effectively power a 5700XT.  Apparently it's a budget unit that's better suited for an entry PC, not something meant for a mid-range card.

It's good enough IMO.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

Have you tried contacting EVGA? They'll likely send you a replacement if you mention there's a lot of coil whine.

However, Coil whine isn't dangerous in the slightest and your PSU isn't a risk to your graphics card. It's good enough to not need replacement IMO.

I honestly don't even know what coil whine is or what it sounds like.   The issue was that multiple users on several forums (I like getting multiple viewpoints so I can learn) that the unit is a bit cheaply made and that EVGA simply put it out in the world as a base/entry unit.

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

It's good enough IMO.

Hmm, even thought it's pushing toward an estimated 410w usage?  I do plan to OC the CPU (Not much extra power draw I know, but still).

I'm all for keeping it but on the same notion I don't wanna be cheap and cut corners.   I rather keep it to be honest and not have to delay getting my card.

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

It's good enough IMO.

It’s not the worst one which you can buy definitely, still some no name brands which false advertising watts are worse but this evga is not greatest 

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

1 minute ago, foxtrot26187 said:

I honestly don't even know what coil whine is or what it sounds like.   The issue was that multiple users on several forums (I like getting multiple viewpoints so I can learn) that the unit is a bit cheaply made and that EVGA simply put it out in the world as a base/entry unit.

Sorry, I might have confused threads. Coil whine is a high-pitched noise that comes out of electronics sometimes which might be scary/uncomfortable for some people, but isn't a hazard.

As far as I can tell from this thread on jonnyguru (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?14041-EVGA-450GD-550GD-650GD), the GD is a non-modular version of the GQ, which is a great power supply which you should have no issues with.

"They don't use the "lower-cost" flavor of Raider II platform, but the more expensive ACRF one (from Raider II 750W and certain Be Quiets Straight Power 10 and Pure Power 10, as well as EVGA GQ 550/650)"

Desktop:

Laptop:

2 minutes ago, foxtrot26187 said:

Hmm, even thought it's pushing toward an estimated 410w usage?  I do plan to OC the CPU (Not much extra power draw I know, but still).

I'm all for keeping it but on the same notion I don't wanna be cheap and cut corners.   I rather keep it to be honest and not have to delay getting my card.

check out the gamersnexus video in my sig (you probably don't need that powerful PSU)

It's a bit old, but it shows that most high-end systems barely push 300 or 350W, and that a 450W PSU is enough for most people.

the 5700XT is more power-hungry than the GPUs he uses in the video (i think), but not by much.

Desktop:

Laptop:

check out the gamersnexus video in my sig (you probably don't need that powerful PSU)

It's a bit old, but it shows that most high-end systems barely push 300 or 350W, and that a 450W PSU is enough for most people.

the 5700XT is more power-hungry than the GPUs he uses in the video (i think), but not by much.

@foxtrot26187 Another thing to note is that the graphs in that video measure watts at the wall (power pulled from the outlet) while PSUs are rated for output power (amount of power they can supply) so even if the system in his video is using 300W from the wall, it's probably at 90% efficiency, so the system is actually drawing only 300 * 0.9 = 270W.

You'll be fine.

Desktop:

Laptop:

6 minutes ago, Whiro said:

It’s not the worst one which you can buy definitely, still some no name brands which false advertising watts are worse but this evga is not greatest 

Source?

AFAIK it's just a non-modular version of the GQ, which is a good PSU.

(from this thread: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?14041-EVGA-450GD-550GD-650GD)

Desktop:

Laptop:

@foxtrot26187 Another thing to note is that the graphs in that video measure watts at the wall (power pulled from the outlet) while PSUs are rated for output power (amount of power they can supply) so even if the system in his video is using 300W from the wall, it's probably at 90% efficiency, so the system is actually drawing only 300 * 0.9 = 270W.

You'll be fine.

I appreciate the breakdown you posted, very informative, thank you!

This does have me a bit less uneasy about using my current PSU then.  Maybe I'll get the GPU soon and replace the PSU later down the road more as a future proofing sort of deal so I can upgrade later without worry.

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Source?

AFAIK it's just a non-modular version of the GQ, which is a good PSU.

(from this thread: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?14041-EVGA-450GD-550GD-650GD)

Hmm I may have sent you looking at the wrong PSU. I Just noticed my error but you are looking at a model called GD when I put GD thinking it was was just short hand for Gold.   The unit is a EVGA 2019 80+ Gold. Which I don't think comes in a 550 unit like in the johnnyguru topic.  Rather it comes in 100 intervals (500,600,700)

I am very sorry for the typing error.

6 minutes ago, foxtrot26187 said:

Hmm I may have sent you looking at the wrong PSU. I Just noticed my error but you are looking at a model called GD when I put GD thinking it was was just short hand for Gold.   The unit is a EVGA 2019 80+ Gold. Which I don't think comes in a 550 unit like in the johnnyguru topic.  Rather it comes in 100 intervals (500,600,700)

I am very sorry for the typing error.

No, I see the unit you're talking about (500GD) and it's not the exact unit on Jonnyguru, but I think it's still fine.

I actually can't find any unit on the 500GD exactly, but since it's the same series as the good one on Jonnyguru I assume it's fine.

Desktop:

Laptop:

21 minutes ago, foxtrot26187 said:

It's not a particularly good PSU, and you should probably have gone for a nicer PSU, but it should be fine.

16 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Sorry, I might have confused threads. Coil whine is a high-pitched noise that comes out of electronics sometimes which might be scary/uncomfortable for some people, but isn't a hazard.

As far as I can tell from this thread on jonnyguru (http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?14041-EVGA-450GD-550GD-650GD), the GD is a non-modular version of the GQ, which is a great power supply which you should have no issues with.

"They don't use the "lower-cost" flavor of Raider II platform, but the more expensive ACRF one (from Raider II 750W and certain Be Quiets Straight Power 10 and Pure Power 10, as well as EVGA GQ 550/650)"

The old GD was very similar to the GQ, but the 2019 version is different.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16906-EVGA-new-GD-series

9 minutes ago, ShredBird said:

while (PSU != "Seasonic") do

PSU = getNewPsu()

end

That's a nice way to possibly get a crappy overpriced PSU. Seasonic makes crap, just like all other companies.

You'd also end up with a whole bunch of PSUs :P

:)

36 minutes ago, ShredBird said:

while (PSU != "Seasonic") do

PSU = getNewPsu()

end

SeaSonic does make quite a lot of garbopower units.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Your PSU appears to be made by FSP. Should be more than fine. Definitely much better than the junk tier VS & CX units that everyone and their dog uses cuz OWMAHGAWD CORSAIR!!!

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

Thank you to everyone who has posted so far! Far too many replies to reply to individually and I am at work 

I'm still torn on replacing it or not but I at least feel more at ease if I ultimately decide to pull the trigger and get the GPU before replacing the PSU.  I've at least learned to look more into the guts of what's in a PSU rather then just brand.

I can say for certain that I will likely go with Option 2 when the time comes. It seems to be a well off unit with more then enough headroom for upgrades in the future.  

1 hour ago, rares495 said:

Definitely much better than the junk tier VS & CX units that everyone and their dog uses cuz OWMAHGAWD CORSAIR!!!

Cx is a better unit than the GD. 

Its a nice CWT plattform iirc while the VS is from HEC i think?

VS isnt great and id avoid it for other options as its usually not wellpriced. 

The cx on the other hand is. 

1 minute ago, foxtrot26187 said:

I'm still torn on replacing it or not but I at least feel more at ease if I ultimately decide to pull the trigger and get the GPU before replacing the PSU

I wouldnt be concerned. Keep it as it is a perfectly fine PSU. 

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Cx is a better unit than the GD. 

Its a nice CWT plattform iirc while the VS is from HEC i think?

VS isnt great and id avoid it for other options as its usually not wellpriced. 

The cx on the other hand is. 

The RMi is based on a nice CWT platform. The CX? Nope. Well priced? Hmmmmm. They are realistically 20-30-40 dollar PSUs which cost 60-70-80 dollars simply because of the Corsair label.

Also, how can a bronze unit be better than a gold one? This simply makes no sense, but I'd love to read you explain this one.

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440