Can I use external hard disk for windows 10 installation?

suraj ranjan

I am adding my ssd to my laptop for OS but I dont have 8gb pen drive for usb flash drive, I have external hard disk, can I download windows to that and use while installing windows?

6 minutes ago, suraj ranjan said:

I am adding my ssd to my laptop for OS but I dont have 8gb pen drive for usb flash drive, I have external hard disk, can I download windows to that and use while installing windows?

Yes. Any removable device and be used as a bootable device.

But guys i was planning to switch the hdd to cd port using caddy and then put the ssd into hdd slot, will that be good? and could anybody share me any youtube video where they show how to do it, cuz this is my first time so

Just now, suraj ranjan said:

But guys i was planning to switch the hdd to cd port using caddy and then put the ssd into hdd slot, will that be good? and could anybody share me any youtube video where they show how to do it, cuz this is my first time so

Don't tweak the laptop if it's under warranty. I don't recommend changing laptop hardware as I've had some bad experience. Just replace the HDD with SSD and do a clean installation.

i just have 250gb ssd so just that won't be sufficient, i need that 1tb hdd as well 

2 minutes ago, Harshvardhan said:

Don't tweak the laptop if it's under warranty.

come on it has a CD drive , you think its under warranty?

5 minutes ago, suraj ranjan said:

All laptops are different, check for your model

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

It will be hard to do all that stuff, you should just buy a usb pendrive (beware tho, win10 iso could need more than 8gb now you should buy a 16gb pendrive) 

It's less time consuming and inexpensive 

Just now, Srijan Verma said:

come on it has a CD drive , you think its under warranty?

All laptops are different, check for your model

mine is dell laptop and not sure of the exact model..or may be I should take it to any centre and do it? they usually charge more than necessary so I thought i will do myself

Just now, Raptor_Fawr said:

It will be hard to do all that stuff, you should just buy a usb pendrive (beware tho, win10 iso could need more than 8gb now you should buy a 16gb pendrive) 

If he's just going for 64 bit, then it's enough.

Less dangerous too. ?

Just now, Raptor_Fawr said:

hard as in? what would be the prob if I will be doing it on external hard disk? will files be at risk?

mine is dell laptop and not sure of the exact model..or may be I should take it to any centre and do it? they usually charge more than necessary so I thought i will do myself

If you think you can then do it. We won't recommend that unless you have already done it or have experience.

hard as in? what would be the prob if I will be doing it on external hard disk? will files be at risk?

Removing components without damaging them is hard.

If you are installing Windows on external HDD then you have to be very careful not to remove it.

Things can get corrupted tho. (There is a chance)

Just now, Harshvardhan said:

Removing components without damaging them is hard.

If you are installing Windows on external HDD then you have to be very careful not to remove it.

Things can get corrupted tho. (There is a chance)

no no, I am not installing windows on external hard disk, i want to use it as flash drive..so that i can install OS on my new ssd

1 minute ago, suraj ranjan said:

no no, I am not installing windows on external hard disk, i want to use it as flash drive..so that i can install OS on my new ssd

Then there is not problem.

11 minutes ago, Harshvardhan said:

Then there is not problem.

or how about using my 16gb memory card? can i download to that using my phone? is it possible?

9 minutes ago, suraj ranjan said:

or how about using my 16gb memory card? can i download to that using my phone? is it possible?

Yes if your Laptop has a memory card reader

You may be change the boot sequence if it doesn't work .

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

Yes if your Laptop has a memory card reader

You may be change the boot sequence if it doesn't work .

I dont have a card reader, I thought i will put the memory card to my phone and use that

You can buy those sd-card to usb adapters for cheap, use those if you really want to use the memory card

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

You can buy those sd-card to usb adapters for cheap, use those if you really want to use the memory card

oh okay...then may be i will use my external hard disk itself, the files wont be affected in any way, right?

6 minutes ago, suraj ranjan said:

oh okay...then may be i will use my external hard disk itself, the files wont be affected in any way, right?

Files as in, files on what?

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

2 hours ago, suraj ranjan said:

na

1 hour ago, suraj ranjan said:

If you make it bootable, then Windows with flush the hard drive. Nothing will be left on it except for the installation files.