CPU or GPU upgrade?

Hi, I'm going to refresh my pc but my budget is limited and I have 2 options. But first I should tell what build I actually have:

-Pentium G4560

-GTX 1050ti

-8GB DDR4 @2400MHz

-240GB SSD + 1TB HDD

-MSI H110m PRO-VD

-SilentiumPC Vero L1 500W

And now my main problem: CPU or GPU upgrade (I can only do one of them right now)? I've been thinking about i5 9400f but there will be a huge bottleneck because of 1050ti. Or maybe should I stay with G4560 for now and go for GTX1650/1060/RX580. EDIT: my budget is limited and these are my options, nothing better than that

Right now my most played game is CS:GO and I know I should go for CPU upgrade but I'm coming back to Black Desert and because it's a great looking game I'm thinking about GPU upgrade. Beside games I'm doing some 3D modeling (AutoCAD/Inventor), photo editing (Photoshop), video editing (Sony Vegas) but this things are not that important.

What do you think guys?

Sorry for any grammar mistakes, english isn't my main language :)

I would personally upgrade both. the 9400f is fine but I would recommend an rx 590 (=gtx 1070(ti)) because the price to performance on that thing right now is insane! There shouldn't be any bottlenecks, because I have a 590 paired with a 2700x and there is no bottlenecks. hope this helped.

1 minute ago, ImRandomYT said:

I would personally upgrade both. the 9400f is fine but I would recommend an rx 590 (=gtx 1070(ti)) because the price to performance on that thing right now is insane! There shouldn't be any bottlenecks, because I have a 590 paired with a 2700x and there is no bottlenecks. hope this helped.

Well, as I said I'm able to get one, CPU or GPU.

RX590 is out of my budget.

I should say that I live in Poland and PC market here is weird. I've a great deal on RX580 (same price as i5 9400f) and I wish I could get both of them but I can't right now.

Just now, daniox said:

Well, as I said I'm able to get one, CPU or GPU.

RX590 is out of my budget.

I should say that I live in Poland and PC market here is weird. I've a great deal on RX580 (same price as i5 9400f) and I wish I could get both of them but I can't right now.

OK, If that's the case, then I would go for the cpu upgrade and save up for the gpu. a 1050ti if you can overclock it a bit should be fine with a 6 core cpu like the 9400f.

Hello and welcome.

I think you might do better starting with the GPU.  And I say that because I imagine you would do better selling your 1050 ti then you would selling your old CPU.   

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

@daniox What's your budget? [ In PLN ;) ]

CPU: i5-4590 | CPU Cooler: SPC Spartan LT HE922 | MOBO: ASRock H87 Fatal1ty | GPU: Gigabyte R9 280 3GB | RAM: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz | SSD: MX500 1TB | Case: SPC Armis AR7X | PSU: XFX TS550W | Custom Cables: Phanteks Extension Kit (White)

1 minute ago, ImRandomYT said:

OK, If that's the case, then I would go for the cpu upgrade and save up for the gpu. a 1050ti if you can overclock it a bit should be fine with a 6 core cpu like the 9400f.

I can but 1050ti have that weird harware limit of OC and actually it is running almost at that limit so I can't do much :P

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

Hello and welcome.

I think you might do better starting with the GPU.  And I say that because I imagine you would do better selling your 1050 ti then you would selling your old CPU.   

I've been thinking about this option but 1050ti isn't that popular right now so it will be hard to sell that

I'd say CPU. While the 1050Ti is not a strong card by any stretch, it can still handle even the latest AAA titles at lower settings. The same can't be said about your Pentium with its 2 cores, since many games nowadays will want even 4, 6 or more cores to work with, nevermind having more applications open beside the game.

The 9400F would perform well, but I don't think it's too smart of a purchase since you'd be locking yourself into a pretty much dead platform at this point. What I would suggest is go for a Ryzen 2600 and a good B450 board (MSI Tomahawk, Gaming Plus or Mortar - whichever you can find for cheaper), as you will have the option to upgrade down the line to Ryzen 3000 or even the upcoming 4000 series. 

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, daniox said:

I've been thinking about this option but 1050ti isn't that popular right now so it will be hard to sell that

I won't disagree, but would it be harder than trying to sell your old CPU?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

25 minutes ago, daniox said:

Hi, I'm going to refresh my pc but my budget is limited and I have 2 options. But first I should tell what build I actually have:

-Pentium G4560

-GTX 1050ti

-8GB DDR4 @2400MHz

-240GB SSD + 1TB HDD

-MSI H110m PRO-VD

-SilentiumPC Vero L1 500W

And now my main problem: CPU or GPU upgrade (I can only do one of them right now)? I've been thinking about i5 9400f but there will be a huge bottleneck because of 1050ti. Or maybe should I stay with G4560 for now and go for GTX1650/1060/RX580. EDIT: my budget is limited and these are my options, nothing better than that

Right now my most played game is CS:GO and I know I should go for CPU upgrade but I'm coming back to Black Desert and because it's a great looking game I'm thinking about GPU upgrade. Beside games I'm doing some 3D modeling (AutoCAD/Inventor), photo editing (Photoshop), video editing (Sony Vegas) but this things are not that important.

What do you think guys?

Sorry for any grammar mistakes, english isn't my main language :)

I'd replace your CPU first...2 cores really isn't going to cut it these days, especially when it comes to gaming. IMO, a 4 core is the bare minimum but a 6/8 core would be more future proof.

Bottlenecks aren't the end of the world...upgrade your CPU then your GPU later on and you should be good.

5 minutes ago, daniox said:

I can but 1050ti have that weird harware limit of OC and actually it is running almost at that limit so I can't do much :P

ok, what clock speed are u running at and how much VRAM

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

I'd say CPU. While the 1050Ti is not a strong card by any stretch, it can still handle even the latest AAA titles at lower settings. The same can't be said about your Pentium with its 2 cores, since many games nowadays will want even 4, 6 or more cores to work with, nevermind having more applications open beside the game.

The 9400F would perform well, but I don't think it's too smart of a purchase since you'd be locking yourself into a pretty much dead platform at this point. What I would suggest is go for a Ryzen 2600 and a good B450 board (MSI Tomahawk, Gaming Plus or Mortar - whichever you can find for cheaper), as you will have the option to upgrade down the line to Ryzen 3000 or even the upcoming 4000 series. 

I wish I could do that and i've been thinking about selling whole PC but that's not an option right now

4 minutes ago, nick name said:

I won't disagree, but would it be harder than trying to sell your old CPU?  

Selling that CPU is nearly impossible :) but from what I see on few different maketplaces 1050ti isn't that easy to sell

4 minutes ago, ImRandomYT said:

ok, what clock speed are u running at and how much VRAM

4GB VRAM and it's going up to 1850MHz+ when limit is 1911MHz

4 minutes ago, daniox said:

I wish I could do that and i've been thinking about selling whole PC but that's not an option right now

I mean, the Ryzen 2600 is close in price to the 9400F, if not even cheaper.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

4 minutes ago, daniox said:

Selling that CPU is nearly impossible :) but from what I see on few different maketplaces 1050ti isn't that easy to sell

Well if there isn't much hope of selling that 1050 ti quickly then I would get the new CPU first.  I was hoping to get you closer to having both sooner with the GPU first route.  

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Well, I've checked prices and I could go for 2600 and cheap MOBO but what with RAM. 2400MHz isn't too slow for ryzen?

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

But he would also need a new mobo for ryzen, but not for a 9400F. It's a pretty tough decision because his budget would cover the B450 board + ryzen 1600 and it's not much better for gaming

CPU: i5-4590 | CPU Cooler: SPC Spartan LT HE922 | MOBO: ASRock H87 Fatal1ty | GPU: Gigabyte R9 280 3GB | RAM: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz | SSD: MX500 1TB | Case: SPC Armis AR7X | PSU: XFX TS550W | Custom Cables: Phanteks Extension Kit (White)

5 minutes ago, nick name said:

Well if there isn't much hope of selling that 1050 ti quickly then I would get the new CPU first.  I was hoping to get you closer to having both sooner with the GPU first route.  

I wish I was able to sell GPU quick but it will be easier to sell whole pc than only 1050, but I can't sell that PC now because I need it for some university projects and it's in use everyday

1 minute ago, daniox said:

Well, I've checked prices and I could go for 2600 and cheap MOBO but what with RAM. 2400MHz isn't too slow for ryzen?

While you generally want something a little faster for Ryzen, it's still better than nothing.

Just now, daniox said:

It's a bit slow, but you can live with it. If it's possible then go B450 board (never A320) + Ryzen 2600, I think it's the best combo for this price. Ryzen keeps up pretty well in games and it's 6/12 so for photo/video editing it would be a lot better

1 minute ago, xKr1Sx said:

But he would also need a new mobo for ryzen, but not for a 9400F. It's a pretty tough decision because his budget would cover the B450 board + ryzen 1600 and it's not much better for gaming

No, he would need a new motherboard for the 9400F as well. All 8th and 9th gen chips from Intel require a 300 series motherboard to work.

1 minute ago, xKr1Sx said:

It's a bit slow, but you can live with it. If it's possible then go B450 board (never A320) + Ryzen 2600, I think it's the best combo for this price. Ryzen keeps up pretty well in games and it's 6/12 so for photo/video editing it would be a lot better

What's wrong with A320?