HDD super slow / recycle bin not deleting files

miniqpa

Hello guys, 

at this moment I am pretty clueless what is going on.

I am writing from my Ryzen 3rd Gen. PC with an internal Samsung SDD as an Boot Device with all the programms on it.

Also I do have an WesternDigital internal HDD and a Western Digital external drive with several TB. 

Unfortunatly I downloaded some bigger archives yesterday on the internal hdd which then got to full capacity. From there forward everything just got super super slow. 

I tried to copy some of the files to the external drive. It calculated for minutes and then stopped after +30mins copying just a few gigabytes of the total ~500gb or so. 

I then tried to delete files from the HDD again but that also took ages. Also emptying the recycle bin which has several 100gb in it says rest time: more then a day. It takes like 2 hours to delete a 1gb file. 

I also tried to clear the recycle bins via rd /s /q <driveletter>\$Recycle.bin but this also takes on for several hours without progress. 

My internal HDD no longer shows any status on how full the drive is in the explorer and accessing it also takes minutes. And even deleting a single kb .txt files takes minutes. 

Hope you can help what I shall do first. Try to clear the recycle bin, deleting more stuff from the hdd, defragment the drive? 

I also set the sleep timer for the drives in the energy saving option to never. 

thanks in advance