USB vs PCIe wifi adapter

Myspace

Hi, I'm currently debating between using my preexisting USB adapter versus a new PCIe wifi adapter. Would a cheap PCIe adapter make any significant difference compared to my USB adapter? For reference, my current adapter is getting me around 120mbps down and 35mbps up.

PCIe x1 WiFi Cards are better.  USB ones seem to be slower and I heard they overheat as well.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

usb ones need to communicate through the usb chipset in many situations, and they don't even get priority unless it's usb3.0 or higher.
pcie is inside the pc, doesn't take a usb slot, and faster with direct connection to cpu.
also don't worry about graphics cards, even with a pcie 3.0 at 8x a 2080 ti is fine, and a 2080 super should be fine with minor hiccups at 4x.
however at 120mbps down, I'd say you're fine. unless you're getting a wifi 6 router and card to be compatible, just say where you are.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

USB uses more cpu to process the data.

USB adapters usually have smaller antennas, or don't have external antennas.

PCI-e devices often have external antenna connectors which give you the option to position the antennas further away from the computer (the metal of the case and if the walls if you place the pc near the walls can sometimes reduce the signal quality)

If the adapter comes with small antennas that screw in the back you can buy separate antennas and position them better.