Looking for a firewall solution for assigning network usage quota & network bandwidth management

Shammikit

Hello, im in need of setting up a solution for managing network bandwidth and assign quota for multiple devices/users. I have a monthly data cap in my ISP and i want to split it equally between me and my dad's devices. He's got a phone and a laptop and i have got a phone and a laptop (4 devices). Both of us atm connect to the wireless ISP router through WiFi. The ISP router doesnt have these features to limit bandwidth and to put quotas, so Im thinking of setting up a software based firewall in between the ISP router and devices to have these bandwidth and data quota limiters for each user. so far i have tried PfSense and it does not have the option for setting quotas for each user/device.  Next i tried gargoyle router on my pc but it doesnt seem to be detecting my network interfaces. So now I have seen Sophos having this: https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-utm-home-edition.aspx Firewall for home use and im not sure if it the best option and if it has the ability to set quotas. I would like to know if this is a gud solution and if it isnt, im looking forward to hearing any other suggestions from u. Thanks.

Note:

• I do know that it is possible to setup a data cap in windows itself, but i want to have some sort of centralized solution.
  • My isp router cannot be messed with as it will stop communicating with the ISP if the built in settings were wiped out. so installing a custom os like gargoyle right into it is not an option

22 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

Hello, im in need of setting up a solution for managing network bandwidth and assign quota for multiple devices/users.

Put your ISP modem in bridge mode, then connect your own router & flash it with DD-WRT / AdvancedTomato. Boom, done.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

Put your ISP modem in bridge mode, then connect your own router & flash it with DD-WRT / AdvancedTomato. Boom, done.

Would that wipe out all settings of the ISP router. As said in the original question, all the settings of the ISP are built in to the router. There arent any visible settings to note down.

4 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

Would that wipe out all settings of the ISP router. As said in the original question, all the settings of the ISP are built in to the router. There arent any visible settings to note down.

My ISP serves encrypted firmware files from the CMTS upon modem bootup - if the modem is tampered with, or otherwise not working, but can at least boot up, it will reflash itself attempting to recovery to factory defaults. No idea how your ISP's equipment works, that's something you'll need to contact your ISP about.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

46 minutes ago, kirashi said:

My ISP serves encrypted firmware files from the CMTS upon modem bootup - if the modem is tampered with, or otherwise not working, but can at least boot up, it will reflash itself attempting to recovery to factory defaults. No idea how your ISP's equipment works, that's something you'll need to contact your ISP about.

Looks like tough luck for me. The Huawei ISP router i have isnt available in the supported devices list in both DD-WRT & AdvancedTomato. The x86 version of DD was there, i think it could be flashed to run on  a PC but i feel i will have the same issues as Gargoyle router where my USB network interfaces wont get detected