300$ for a Headphone Setup, What should I buy?

IAMABOSS
Go to solution Solved by IAMABOSS,
On 12/30/2019 at 12:37 PM, rice guru said:

I would wait for a refresh on the modi. to me it suffers from the same issue the older schiit products suffer form it's just not as clean sounding has a little bit of grain compared to cheaper options or similarly priced options like the topping d10, d30 or the khadas tone board. 

Yea probably going to be a while till I buy anything else headphone related, I went a little spend happy this time around, picked up the HD8 DJ's and the 58X's (bass cans for everywhere and all rounder cans for my desk), also just got a Magni 3+ over the Hersey, the 3+ supposedly has a warmer, more fun sound to it, while the Hersey is just a little better on paper. At the end of the day, I would be perfectly content with the HD8 DJ's, I got them for 150$ with free one day shipping from B&H, so it was stupid not to buy them and flip my M50x's. Also ended up getting the 58X's for 115$ and they have already shipped, this decade is going out with some deals it seems! 

On 12/30/2019 at 6:34 PM, food158 said:

I just want to note that, in my experience, the 6xx is not hard to drive at all.

From everything I have read, they really come alive with a proper amp, which is no problem, but as a bass head, they just seemed a little to analytical and flat to me based on all the reviews I have watched and read. The 58X's have the same drivers as the HD 660's that go for around 400$ with only a piece of foam between the back grill and the driver itself. So take that foam out and boom you have 400$ pair of headphones. I probably will leave the foam in to increase the bass response tho. 

2 hours ago, IAMABOSS said:

The 58X's have the same drivers as the HD 660's that go for around 400$ 

That's a common misconception it's a newer cheaper driver tuned to sound very similar to the 660. Honestly imo the 600 line is generally overpriced and the 58x is somewhat appropriately priced considering what is already out there 

16 hours ago, rice guru said:

That's a common misconception it's a newer cheaper driver tuned to sound very similar to the 660. Honestly imo the 600 line is generally overpriced and the 58x is somewhat appropriately priced considering what is already out there 

I am sure sennheiser had to cut some costs out somewhere, but from every review I have watched they are very similar sounding, to the point where it makes no sense to buy the 660's over the 58X. But you never know, I have not listened to either yet maybe the 660's are worth 400$ 

27 minutes ago, IAMABOSS said:

I am sure sennheiser had to cut some costs out somewhere, but from every review I have watched they are very similar sounding, to the point where it makes no sense to buy the 660's over the 58X. But you never know, I have not listened to either yet maybe the 660's are worth 400$ 

The 660 to me is a bit over priced. The 58x is pretty appropriately priced IMHO as competitors have similar performing headphones at similar price points. And the 660,650, and 600 are just overpriced