Intel 660P Raid 0 Conern

B U B B A J

Hello LTT Fam!

Back with another question. Rather then bore you with a long dragged out intro I'll be sure to get right to the point. I recently purchased a pair of 1TB Intel 660P NVME SSDs. My plan was to set them in Raid 0 and limit the drive size so I don't have to worry about the SLC cache getting full making the drives become crazy slow. 

Here's my issue/concern. Since setting to raid 0 I've noticed my pc acting bit odd. Seems to be buggy more often and I am randomly getting blue screen every so often. I use this pc mainly to game and run android emulators like Memu often have 8 running at a time. 

I'm wondering if it's my ram but I can't seem to remember this issue happening before I set to raid 0. 

Specs if Needed are. 

Windows 10 Pro N 64-bit

Intel Core i7 7700K

STRIX Z270H GAMING

16GB RAM

2080 Ti

Side note: why are you doing raid0 on nvme?  It can’t be gaming. A single Nvme is already too fast to be an advantage over sata gaming.  I’ve heard of troubles doing raid0 on nvme.  Not sure what they are.  I have interest in it because I don’t know how fast the new console storage is going to be and I’m worried it may become necessary but it hasn’t happened yet.  Nvme is more or less raw 4 lane pcie.  You’re making a drive with close to the same bandwidth as a 1080ti.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I'm mainly doing it so I don't have to worry about the entire SLC cache filling up deal. Managing my system as just one drive vs two is easier for me. I've heard running multiple emulator can benefit from faster drives. 

I had a single Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe which worked great. Speeds were super fast. No issues at all. But I managed to find these 660p drives for $65 each ( 1TB Models ) so i snagged two of them for the price of my one drive. 

They are about half the speed the Sabrent was. In raid 0 they run slightly faster then the one. 

So does raid 0 not give performance issues like blue screens or laggy mice?

1 hour ago, B U B B A J said:

I'm mainly doing it so I don't have to worry about the entire SLC cache filling up deal. Managing my system as just one drive vs two is easier for me. I've heard running multiple emulator can benefit from faster drives. 

I had a single Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe which worked great. Speeds were super fast. No issues at all. But I managed to find these 660p drives for $65 each ( 1TB Models ) so i snagged two of them for the price of my one drive. 

They are about half the speed the Sabrent was. In raid 0 they run slightly faster then the one. 

So does raid 0 not give performance issues like blue screens or laggy mice?

Not that I’ve heard of before.  I’m not what you’d call “well informed” though.  What knowledge I have is mostly horribly out of date. I’ve been trying to pick stuff up here, which is where I heard about vague nvme raid0 issues.  It can’t be done at all with hardware raid for one thing, and I don’t think software raid is really set up for it.  Nvme is fundamentally different from sata.  Basically no one raid0s nvme drives because the bus is so terrifyingly fast to start with.  It could be happening a lot more when the new consoles launch though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.