Acer H236HLbid or ASUS VS239H-P - Which one?

johnnyTheMac
Hello,

I am new here, as you can probably tell already, and I need some serious help. My question is basically what the title reads. I am swaying towards the Acer because it kind of like the glossy screen look. I had an iMac and I thought the glossy screen looked pretty good. 

If I decide to go with more than a 23", I was looking at the ASUS VN248H-P Super Narrow Bezel Black 23.8".

I will be for gaming and web development/editing. I only want 1080p and 60hz. My price range is around $200, but I would like to come in below that price. 

So, it will be between 

Acer H236HLbid 

ASUS VS239H-P

ASUS VN248H-P Super Narrow Bezel Black 23.8"

I am having a pretty hard time trying to decide. I would really, really appreciate any help, advice or suggestions that any of you have.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Testudo

CPU: Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH4 | RAM: 8 GB Blue Ares | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition | Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White | Storage: 250 GB SSD Corsair Neutron - 128 GB SSD Kingston - 1 TB WD Black | PSU: Corsair 850 watt | Display: 3 x Dell S2340M 23-Inch IPS 

Thank you for the quick replies. It is pretty hard on other forums to get any type of help and responses, so I really appreciate the time taken to help me out. I have noticed that this forum is pretty nice about helping people out.

Are they all IPS? And, do you think there will be that much of a difference between the 23" to the 24" inch? I mean, I know the physical answer to that, but I am only 2' -3' at the most- away from my monitor at all times.

Thanks!

CPU: Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH4 | RAM: 8 GB Blue Ares | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 780 GHz Edition | Case: Corsair C70 Vengeance Arctic White | Storage: 250 GB SSD Corsair Neutron - 128 GB SSD Kingston - 1 TB WD Black | PSU: Corsair 850 watt | Display: 3 x Dell S2340M 23-Inch IPS 

Thank you for the quick replies. It is pretty hard on other forums to get any type of help and responses, so I really appreciate the time taken to help me out. I have noticed that this forum is pretty nice about helping people out.

Are they all IPS? And, do you think there will be that much of a difference between the 23" to the 24" inch? I mean, I know the physical answer to that, but I am only 2' -3' at the most- away from my monitor at all times.

Thanks!

Yes, they're all IPS.

There isn't much of a noticeable difference. It's only ~1" diagonally. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

So, the Acer is pretty good?

So, the Acer is pretty good?

I've worked with it and it's great.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Nice! How is the reflection?

Nice! How is the reflection?

It's pretty glossy but it's not too bad since it's glass instead of plastic. If you want a matte display, here's an alternative: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/aoc-monitor-i2369v

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

It's pretty glossy but it's not too bad since it's glass instead of plastic. If you want a matte display, here's an alternative: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/aoc-monitor-i2369v

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Thanks for the heads up! 

I don't know. I like the look of the glossy for some reason. I think that it give a deeper color or something. Sorry, I cannot explain it properly. 

I was looking at that AOC. I have a 24" AOC. It is a TN panel and the angles are pretty horrible. I don't like it, at all. Are they a pretty good brand now? 

Thanks for the heads up! 

I don't know. I like the look of the glossy for some reason. I think that it give a deeper color or something. Sorry, I cannot explain it properly. 

I was looking at that AOC. I have a 24" AOC. It is a TN panel and the angles are pretty horrible. I don't like it, at all. Are they a pretty good brand now? 

They're decent. 

the reason glossy panels look more vibrant is because matte has a texture to the surface that changes how it looks. Glossy displays tend to have a lot of saturation to combat the reflectivity which the matte surface has it's own issues. Matte tends to be more color accurate but I prefer it because I can touch the display without worry of smudges.

They're decent. 

the reason glossy panels look more vibrant is because matte has a texture to the surface that changes how it looks. Glossy displays tend to have a lot of saturation to combat the reflectivity which the matte surface has it's own issues. Matte tends to be more color accurate but I prefer it because I can touch the display without worry of smudges.

Thank you for that information!

I just noticed that the AOC does not have an HDMI port. Sorry, I should have mentioned in my OP that I need at least one HDMI and one DVI. I plan on hooked a PS3 and PS4 up to it. By the way, what do you think about the consoles on that Acer?

If you were to recommend a matte panel, what would it be.

Thank you for that information!

I just noticed that the AOC does not have an HDMI port. Sorry, I should have mentioned in my OP that I need at least one HDMI and one DVI. I plan on hooked a PS3 and PS4 up to it. By the way, what do you think about the consoles on that Acer?

If you were to recommend a matte panel, what would it be.

This has hdmi: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/aoc-monitor-i2367fh

Thanks!

Would you recommend that one over the Asus?

Thanks!

Would you recommend that one over the Asus?

Either is fine. I might get the AOC one for the thin physical bezel.

Either is fine. I might get the AOC one for the thin physical bezel.

This one is a tiny bit bigger, but it does have a thin bezel:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236335

Geez...this is so tough lol. I was ready to get the Acer, but I fear that the reflection will be a bit much. I am not directly behind a window, but one is to the right of me. What worried me is when you mentioned that the color is more accurate with a matte panel.

This one is a tiny bit bigger, but it does have a thin bezel:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236335

Geez...this is so tough lol. I was ready to get the Acer, but I fear that the reflection will be a bit much. I am not directly behind a window, but one is to the right of me. What worried me is when you mentioned that the color is more accurate with a matte panel.

In the end, any of them are fine. If you're not sure, just pick the cheapest one.

Yeah, I am stuck lol. I really want to try out the Acer. I wish that they had a store around my neck of the woods to check it out in person. So, there is not really a huge difference between the image quality between the ones we have been discussing?

Yeah, I am stuck lol. I really want to try out the Acer. I wish that they had a store around my neck of the woods to check it out in person. So, there is not really a huge difference between the image quality between the ones we have been discussing?

I bought the Acer monitor around a month ago and I would just like to say that I love it. Its a beautiful looking monitor and it performs really well. I can't say for the others but if you get the Acer you will not be disappointed.

As far as image quality goes, you won't tell much difference between them as long as they are both IPS panels.

I bought the Acer monitor around a month ago and I would just like to say that I love it. Its a beautiful looking monitor and it performs really well. I can't say for the others but if you get the Acer you will not be disappointed.

As far as image quality goes, you won't tell much difference between them as long as they are both IPS panels.

Thanks for the response! 

I am just a bit apprehensive because of reflection, but I have my finger hovering over the Order Now button lol. It can get pretty bright in the room with my computer. That is the only reason I haven't ordered it, yet. I read that the reflection on this particular monitor is not that bad. What say you?

There is a magnet on the bottom of the Acer H236HLbid stand. That will not harm anything if it is close to my PC, will it?

There is a magnet on the bottom of the Acer H236HLbid stand. That will not harm anything if it is close to my PC, will it?

There is a magnet but don't worry, it's not very strong. I use it to keep track of my flash drives. I just set my iphone on it to test it (I have a thin case) and it didn't affect the phone at all so don't worry about it.

The reflection on the monitor isn't bad at all. I have my monitor right by a window and even then it isn't bad.

There is a magnet but don't worry, it's not very strong. I use it to keep track of my flash drives. I just set my iphone on it to test it (I have a thin case) and it didn't affect the phone at all so don't worry about it.

The reflection on the monitor isn't bad at all. I have my monitor right by a window and even then it isn't bad.

Thanks! 

Can you tell me whether this is a 6 or 8 bit panel

I hope that it is 8 bit, because I just took the plunge and bought 2 of them. I hope I made the right decision lol!

Does anyone know if the Acer H236HLbid 23" is actually a 23.6"? 

I read that sometimes they round up or down to 23" - 24", and that this particular model is 23.6". Just wondering if that is true. It would be kind of a nice, little surprise if true.

Thanks for all responses!