General purpose 1440p, 75+hz, 27-32" monitor.

Delicious Cake

Looking for a general purpose 1440p monitor to use as both a monitor & as substitute for a TV, as I lack both floor & wall space to accomodate a second screen in any practical fashion.

• Preference would be something in the range of 27-29", as my desk space is also a bit limited and I usually sit around 60-70cm away from the screen, but I am prepared to go as large as 32" if it's worth it.
  • 120/144Hz isn't a requirement, as I'll be happy just with something above 75+Hz, especially as I also want VRR. However, that doesn't mean a 60Hz panel which has been factory overclocked to 75Hz.
  • Not fussed about HDR, but would like it to be a Freesync 2 device for LFC, although not necessarily a dealbreaker. Currently running a 1070 Ti, but would like to avoid g-sync so I'm not locked into just Nvidia when it comes to upgrading graphics card later on.
  • sRGB is perfectly fine, so wide-gamut colour space support not necessary.
  • Prefer flat screen over curved, but again this isn't necessarily a dealbreaker.

My time at the screen is probably split as:

40-50% in desktop environment - such as reading/writing text (eg. 'work'), web browsing, etc.

30-20% as a TV-substitute - so watching both 'high-detail' content like movies & series streaming, as well as regular content like live sport & news

20-30% playing games - mostly singleplayer or faster-paced games like FPS titles somewhat casually

If I had to compromise between pixel transition speed & contrast ratio, it would probably be slightly in-favour for contrast ratio. I'd rather have a better experience when watching something like The Expanse, which has a lot of dark/black-background details and what I'm basically using as a 'benchmark' for the sort of expectations I have when using it as a TV. Though that said, this is only when it comes to a marginal choice; I'm still looking for a monitor that's at least decent in both these areas first and foremost.

Budget is around £350, although I can stretch it up to £400 if absolutely necessary and compelling enough to warrant that.

Being in the UK means Viotek is not an option and the only relevant Pixio offering is the PX7 Prime, but that's already £400 as it is and I'm not sure about how it handles the TV-substitute part of my requirements (if anyone has first-hand experience, particularly with content like The Expanse, please share). I'm aware that there's an 'equivalent' to the Pixio PX275h rebranded under electriQ, but afaik this version has notably worse firmware & dead pixel policy.

Anyway, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...