4x5 portraits using surplus lens

A couple of years ago I picked up a cheap ($5) surplus achromat lens. I've used it a few times, thought I'd share some examples. Sometimes you don't need the latest and greatest to make nice photos... 

july2019-073.jpg

mmexport1548588747464.jpg

july2019-071.jpg

IMG_20191224_071834.jpg

If it works it works :) as long as you achieve what you want to achieve, everythings fine (at least if it is within the law)

Great pictures! Out of pure interest, what body did you use? How did you adapt the lens?

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Yeah. Optics and lens grinding hasn’t changed all that much.  Shutters got faster, some coatings got better, image capture changed beyond all recognition, but lenses are still basically lenses.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, 19_blackie_73 said:

If it works it works :) as long as you achieve what you want to achieve, everythings fine (at least if it is within the law)

Great pictures! Out of pure interest, what body did you use? How did you adapt the lens?

It's a Chamonix 4x5 so lenses are mounted to flat plates that mount to the camera. I had a shop laser cut boards from 2mm carbon fiber. 

IMG_20170511_173959.jpg

mmexport1540014917921.jpg

5 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

It's a Chamonix 4x5 so lenses are mounted to flat plates that mount to the camera. I had a shop laser cut boards from 2mm carbon fiber.

Ah i see. So basically as oldschool as you can get ;) after the pinhole

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah. Optics and lens grinding hasn’t changed all that much.  Shutters got faster, some coatings got better, image capture changed beyond all recognition, but lenses are still basically lenses.

Yeah, mostly calculations of optical systems got way better, worked for a research project some time ago. Lens Layout is one hell of a job if you just tip your toes in with no experience. But all computer aided so you can calculate way more image aberrations and correct them accordingly, so lens systems got way better.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

1 minute ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

Ah i see. So basically as oldschool as you can get ;) after the pinhole

Yeah, mostly calculations of optical systems got way better, worked for a research project some time ago. Lens Layout is one hell of a job if you just tip your toes in with no experience. But all computer aided so you can calculate way more image aberrations and correct them accordingly, so lens systems got way better.

Way cheaper for better stuff anyway.  The high end stuff relied on mechanical perfection.  They couldn’t correct aberrations so they avoided having them in the first place.  The really expensive lenses are still good.  They don’t transfer as much light because of coating technology and they tend to have poorer edge effects.  There’s probably a lot better uniformity too.  It used to be you looked through a lens before you bought it because they did not come out of the factory equal.  Mail order was more or less not done.  There was no way to tell if the thing you were getting would hold up.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

20 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Way cheaper for better stuff anyway.  The high end stuff relied on mechanical perfection.  They couldn’t correct aberrations so they avoided having them in the first place.  The really expensive lenses are still good.  They don’t transfer as much light because of coating technology and they tend to have poorer edge effects.  There’s probably a lot better uniformity too.  It used to be you looked through a lens before you bought it because they did not come out of the factory equal.  Mail order was more or less not done.  There was no way to tell if the thing you were getting would hold up.

Not entirely true. There are lenses from pre-1900 that out resolve and photograph better than modern, the thing is, people wanted smaller cameras and faster lenses. It's much harder to design a lens for a 35mm camera to be fast and error free than it is compared to a whole plate or 4x5 camera. 

32 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Not entirely true. There are lenses from pre-1900 that out resolve and photograph better than modern, the thing is, people wanted smaller cameras and faster lenses. It's much harder to design a lens for a 35mm camera to be fast and error free than it is compared to a whole plate or 4x5 camera. 

Fair

• 5 weeks later...