Threadripper 3970x Cooler - Do I really need liquid?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
7 minutes ago, Guy Marshall said:

I have checked and it doesn't seem to have full coverage fo the heat spreader, and instead looks like a generic adaptation. Also a lot of the reviews complain about loud fans. I have seen people use the Kraken X62 which also isn't full coverage, just wondering if you have any experience with that cooler.

It does. I neglected to mention it's the specific TR4 variant, not the regular model. I never used the stock fans, so I can't comment on fan noise. I don't like NZXT Cam as its a resource hog, so I've never bothered with their coolers. It's a standard Asetek though, so it probably performs well enough. Though as you know it isn't full coverage.

109260_1000.jpg

Hi all,

I will be building a new PC after Christmas with the 3970x, 8x8GB 3000 DDR4 and an Aorus Master. I have seen online in many places that air coolers like the Cooler Master Wraith Ripper (and I'm guessing the Arctic Freezer 50 TR) are completely inadequate in cooling the 3970x and that I need to get at least a 240 rad. Is this true?

I would prefer to pay less than £150 for the cooler but if I need to spend more I will do. I just have no idea which sTRX40 water cooler to get!!

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

Will it work on air? Yeah. But when you factor in how sensitive boost is to cooling, you may not end up getting the most out of it.

1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

Will it work on air? Yeah. But when you factor in how sensitive boost is to cooling, you may not end up getting the most out of it.

Thanks for the quick reply, yeah I guessed that but I heard such good reviews of the wraith ripper on the 2990wx! Guessing the higher TDP of the 24 and 32 core 3rd gen TR is making water cooling a must! Which of the sTRX40 water coolers do you recommend? :)

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

10 minutes ago, Guy Marshall said:

Thanks for the quick reply, yeah I guessed that but I heard such good reviews of the wraith ripper on the 2990wx! Guessing the higher TDP of the 24 and 32 core 3rd gen TR is making water cooling a must! Which of the sTRX40 water coolers do you recommend? :)

I'll be getting my 3970X/Zenith Extreme II tomorrow, but at the moment I use a Cooler Master ML360 on my 2950X and it's been a great cooler. Full coverage cold plate and overall has been solid in performance. Just need to be careful when installing it as the bracket is plastic for some reason.

3 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

I'll be getting my 3970X/Zenith Extreme II tomorrow, but at the moment I use a Cooler Master ML360 on my 2950X and it's been a great cooler. Full coverage cold plate and overall has been solid in performance. Just need to be careful when installing it as the bracket is plastic for some reason.

I have checked and it doesn't seem to have full coverage fo the heat spreader, and instead looks like a generic adaptation. Also a lot of the reviews complain about loud fans. I have seen people use the Kraken X62 which also isn't full coverage, just wondering if you have any experience with that cooler.

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

I have a 2950x@PBO at 4.3-4.4GHz max boost in some cores with a Noctua NH-U14S  TR4 SP3 and it cools fine at max 68ºC (PBO limited), but when OCed mannualy @all cores to 4.2GHz temps go to hell itself, above 80ºC...

You have some options for the 3970X:

1) Use PBO and be happy with the Noctua

2) Best AIO (full coverage) go to Enermax Liqtech II 360mm Rad, but it doesn't appears to be a long lasting AIO, since there are a lot of complaints for the first rev.

3) For manual OC go custom WC and yet I think it will be a little hot (85ºC in some reviews like in derbauer test bench).

7 minutes ago, Guy Marshall said:

It does. I neglected to mention it's the specific TR4 variant, not the regular model. I never used the stock fans, so I can't comment on fan noise. I don't like NZXT Cam as its a resource hog, so I've never bothered with their coolers. It's a standard Asetek though, so it probably performs well enough. Though as you know it isn't full coverage.

109260_1000.jpg

Just now, jeppouza said:

2) Best AIO (full coverage) go to Enermax Liqtech II 360mm Rad, but it doesn't appears to be a long lasting AIO, a lot of complaints for the first rev...

The second gen is no better. I went through 2 of the first gen and 2 second gen. The only way it's a usable cooler is if you IMMEDIATELY refill it upon getting it since the coolant is the problem.

1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

109260_1000.jpg

Ah I didn't realise sorry! I will get that then if it is TR4 specific :) I cannot wait to make this upgrade from my current PC!

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

Just now, Guy Marshall said:

Ah I didn't realise sorry! I will get that then if it is TR4 specific :) I cannot wait to make this upgrade from my current PC!

Yeah. Mine is coming tomorrow. SUPER excited.

2 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Yeah. Mine is coming tomorrow. SUPER excited.

Ooh! I decided 4x16 3000 instead of 8x8 just for upgradability but yeah I can't wait and I bet you can't! xD

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

Why is the Noctua NH-U14S the best sTRX4 available cooler? it looks so underwhelming it makes no sense to me personally why isn't there a beefed version of the NH-D15 out already.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Luna said:

Why is the Noctua NH-U14S the best sTRX4 available cooler? it looks so underwhelming it makes no sense to me personally why isn't there a beefed version of the NH-D15 out already.

Yeah I don't get that! I would absolutely buy a MASSIVE triple 140 NH-D15 TR4 version!!

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

3 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

It's simply because Noctua takes their sweet time. Last time I asked them about it, they said Q2 of 2020 (for the 7 heat pipe TR4 D15).

Just now, Den-Fi said:

It's simply because Noctua takes their sweet time. Last time I asked them about it, they said Q2 of 2020.

Wow that's crazy! By that point the thermosyphon will be out and outperforming all the liquid coolers (or at least most of them)

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

5 minutes ago, Guy Marshall said:

Ooh! I decided 4x16 3000 instead of 8x8 just for upgradability but yeah I can't wait and I bet you can't! xD

Yeah, 8x8 is hard on the mem controller. My 8x8 128GB kit on my 2950X is only able to reach 2933, but can do 3600 in 4x4.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

Yeah, 8x8 is hard on the mem controller. My 8x8 128GB kit on my 2950X is only able to reach 2933, but can do 3600 in 4x4.

Ah okay! I could only get 3000 for £250, for some reason even going to 3200 made the price jump to over £350!!

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

1 minute ago, Guy Marshall said:

Wow that's crazy! By that point the thermosyphon will be out and outperforming all the liquid coolers (or at least most of them)

Can't really blame them. Looked what happened to Enermax when they rushed a product to market. Thermosyphon MAY be out by then, but pre-order/crowdfunded stuff doesn't have the best track record.

Just now, Guy Marshall said:

Ah okay! I could only get 3000 for £250, for some reason even going to 3200 made the price jump to over £350!!

You can probably push it to 3200 in a 4x4 config which is fine really.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

You can probably push it to 3200 in a 4x4 config which is fine really.

That's a good point. And tbh 3000 to 3200 is much smaller than 2133 to 2400 for example, so I might just leave it at 3000!

Current specs:

FX-8350

Strix 970

1TB HDD

Noctua NH-D15

Some fans (just a few)

New specs (soon):

Ryzen 9 3900x

Strix 970

1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Noctua NH-D15 cooler

A lot of fans

More fans

Did I mention fans?

12 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

It's simply because Noctua takes their sweet time. Last time I asked them about it, they said Q2 of 2020 (for the 7 heat pipe TR4 D15).

Well it's good news that it's in the pipeline already :) And that should be when I start seriously considering my TR3 build :P 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Well it's good news that it's in the pipeline already :) And that should be when I start seriously considering my TR3 build :P 

I told myself I was holding out til next year, but something crazy happened and I managed to nab the board and chip under MSRP, so I went for it. I'm probably not custom looping it for a while though. If it comes out before I decide on a loop, I might just go with the Noctua if the numbers make sense. My 3950X loop has already been a pain in the butt, so even if I do it, it won't be hard line.

I've told myself Id wait until the next wave of GPUs comes out, by then the 64 core TR3 should be out too, and I'll see how it affects the pricing of things. Hopefully since these chips are dope by then there will be more offering on accessories like that cooler, mobos etc and the platform will be stable. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I've told myself Id wait until the next wave of GPUs comes out, by then the 64 core TR3 should be out too, and I'll see how it affects the pricing of things. Hopefully since these chips are dope by then there will be more offering on accessories like that cooler, mobos etc and the platform will be stable. 

Yeah. It's crazy that Threadripper has continued being this good and we still have to consider Enermax when it comes to coolers. Ugh. We have a few at the office that we refilled immediately and they've lasted over a year, but like... come on no Corsair, NZXT, or any of the bigger ones?! You'd figure since Asetek wants full dominance of the market with their stupid patent, they'd at least do something. I just want to able to see liquid temp in Corsair Link again. Sigh.

The first 2 had IPC that severely limited their attractiveness, so I guess a lot of potential HEDT customers held off, leading to pretty low predicted sales - but that's changed now, you're not compromising on anything but price by going TR3 anymore, so hopefully the accessory makers see the potential.

F@H

GPD Win 2