Anyone an expert on pass-through?

ncrossy1980

Hi to anyone who could just straight up tell me if I'm being stupid here.

I have a Samsung 55" NU8000 TV, the one with the native 120Hz panel.  It does 120Hz at 1440p.  If I run a HDMI cable direct from my 2080Ti to the TV, the Nvidia control panel allows me to select 2560x1440 @ 120Hz and everything is perfect.

A few months back I bought a Samsung HW-N950 soundbar, which has 4K & HDMI 2.0 pass through.  So now, I run HDMI from the 2080Ti to the soundbar (for Dolby Atmos PC content), then HDMI from the soundbar to the TV.

Problem is, when I do that, the Nvidia control panel doesn't allow me to select 120Hz at 1440p any more.  And it's driving me mental.

I can select 1920x1080 @ 120Hz, but anything above that is limited to 60Hz.  

I've tried:

- Alternating every HDMI port in the TV

- Alternating all the ports in the Soundbar

- Alternating HDMI cables, all the cables currently in use do support 120Hz if ran direct from PC to TV

- Disabling and enabling HDR on the TV

- Creating a custom resolution in the NV Control Panel, that doesn't work either, it lets me create the profile but then after testing it the custom profile disappears. 

- Checked Samsung website and the ports on the soundbar definitely are HDMI 2.0

- Alternating output colour formats in the NV Control Panel

- Toggling every conceivable setting within the TV menu to see if something is stopping the TV from reporting back through the soundbar that it supports 120Hz @ 1440p

- Another observation I made was when passing through the soundbar, the TV is reporting the wrong resolution on screen.  Even at 2560x1440 applied in Windows, the TV reports 3840x2160 even though the actual resolution is 1440.

At the moment, if I want Dolby Atmos sound from my PC, I can't run any games at 120Hz which is the entire reason I bought this damn sound bar... I wanted to run games at 120Hz with Dolby Atmos.

Does anyone know of any reason why I can't toggle to 120Hz 1440p when the HDMI cable is run through this sound bar when it uses standards which should support that?

Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, ncrossy1980 said:

I dont think it supports over 60hz for 4k. it says specifically 60hz on the soundbar website, I'd try to avoid using the passthrough, run direct to the tv and somehow get the soundbar to work after the fact. or return it 

Capture.JPG

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

or do like i do when the pass through is being finicky. run hdmi to tv and a second hdmi to sound bar from the video card if you have 2 hdmi on it

Cheers man, I know it says 4K (60Hz) but I'm passing through 1440p (120Hz), obviously it doesn't specifically list every supported format under 4K but I figured it was whatever the HDMI standard would support.  Unfortunately there's no way to run just sound from the TV to the soundbar, definitely nothing that would provide the Dolby Atmos feed.  Never mind, looks like I'm all out of luck with this.  Cheers anyway.  

p.s. Only 1 HDMI output on a 2080Ti... I don't think I could even use a DP to HDMI adaptor either as DP doesn't carry audio.  

4 hours ago, ncrossy1980 said:

Cheers man, I know it says 4K (60Hz) but I'm passing through 1440p (120Hz), obviously it doesn't specifically list every supported format under 4K but I figured it was whatever the HDMI standard would support.  Unfortunately there's no way to run just sound from the TV to the soundbar, definitely nothing that would provide the Dolby Atmos feed.  Never mind, looks like I'm all out of luck with this.  Cheers anyway.  

p.s. Only 1 HDMI output on a 2080Ti... I don't think I could even use a DP to HDMI adaptor either as DP doesn't carry audio.  

the dp to hdmi does send audio (used to use a dp to hdmi 2.0 because hdmi was1.4)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077JB28KM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
then if sound still an issue you can use the hdmi on the card and send that to the bar

• 1 year later...
On 12/22/2019 at 5:52 PM, ncrossy1980 said:

Hi to anyone who could just straight up tell me if I'm being stupid here.

I have a Samsung 55" NU8000 TV, the one with the native 120Hz panel.  It does 120Hz at 1440p.  If I run a HDMI cable direct from my 2080Ti to the TV, the Nvidia control panel allows me to select 2560x1440 @ 120Hz and everything is perfect.

A few months back I bought a Samsung HW-N950 soundbar, which has 4K & HDMI 2.0 pass through.  So now, I run HDMI from the 2080Ti to the soundbar (for Dolby Atmos PC content), then HDMI from the soundbar to the TV.

Problem is, when I do that, the Nvidia control panel doesn't allow me to select 120Hz at 1440p any more.  And it's driving me mental.

I can select 1920x1080 @ 120Hz, but anything above that is limited to 60Hz.  

I've tried:

- Alternating every HDMI port in the TV

- Alternating all the ports in the Soundbar

- Alternating HDMI cables, all the cables currently in use do support 120Hz if ran direct from PC to TV

- Disabling and enabling HDR on the TV

- Creating a custom resolution in the NV Control Panel, that doesn't work either, it lets me create the profile but then after testing it the custom profile disappears. 

- Checked Samsung website and the ports on the soundbar definitely are HDMI 2.0

- Alternating output colour formats in the NV Control Panel

- Toggling every conceivable setting within the TV menu to see if something is stopping the TV from reporting back through the soundbar that it supports 120Hz @ 1440p

- Another observation I made was when passing through the soundbar, the TV is reporting the wrong resolution on screen.  Even at 2560x1440 applied in Windows, the TV reports 3840x2160 even though the actual resolution is 1440.

At the moment, if I want Dolby Atmos sound from my PC, I can't run any games at 120Hz which is the entire reason I bought this damn sound bar... I wanted to run games at 120Hz with Dolby Atmos.

Does anyone know of any reason why I can't toggle to 120Hz 1440p when the HDMI cable is run through this sound bar when it uses standards which should support that?

Thanks in advance.

I know this is 2 years later now but did you ever get anywhere with this? I have almost the exact same issue. I have the Samsung N950 and a Samsung Q8FN. I’m trying to get 1440p/120hz on my Xbox series X. Which I can get if I go direct from TV -> Xbox. But not when using pass through on the N950. It doesn’t allow me to choose it anymore. Just 1080/120