Is this normal GPU behaviour? (RX 5700 XT)

mattyt1991

Recently bought the Sapphire Nitro+ version of this card. Use it for playing 1440p on a Dell U2715H monitor (no freesync/g-sync). i5-8400 and 16gb of 3000mhz RAM. 

I have been playing red dead 2, great game but like others have stated in reviews, seems to be pretty poorly optimised. I have had quite a few crashes and it stutters a lot. Changing from vulkan to DX12 seems to have stopped the crashing. My FPS have been 50-60 with a mix of high and medium settings with occasional drops down to 30-40. To see if there was any bottlenecking I opened the game in windowed mode and opened task manager. While playing my CPU seems to be at about 50% and my GPU between 50-65%. 

I am new to all this but it seems if my GPU is only working at that capacity why isn't it working a bit harder and keeping my FPS at 60 all the time?

that's just rockstar's bad new launcher. except bad is to kind of a word. doesn't help that the game engine is also pretty bad.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Check out Hardware Unboxed Youtube channel, they have a 2 part RDR2 optimisation guide.