Budget Laptop Holiday ‘19 recommendations (for dad)

Go to solution Solved by rcmaehl,
1 minute ago, cbergerman1515 said:

Perhaps I should clarify. Just because my budget is small for them doesn’t mean I don’t know anything about electronics. I’m an electrical engineer and long time viewer of LTT. I have a great understanding of features on the market. I’m just looking for a nice conversation or suggestions around what models would fall in that range this time of year. 

Ah okay. 

When it comes down to it. AMD is extremely competitive in pretty much all tiers, low-end through high-end, especially with their 3000 series. However, as far as I've seen intel is still the king at Performance Per Watt... just not Performance Per Clock. Whether or not this will make a major difference when it comes to Higher Wattage, shorter time VS Lower Wattage, longer time I've yet to see.

Hello everyone. 

I’m looking for advice to purchase a budget laptop for my parents this holiday season. Specific model number would be most helpful.

My budget is no more than $400 dollars, and it will primarily be used for Office, browsing news and stock tips online, and for viewing pictures sent from their adult kids. No gaming besides card games, so no need for a dedicated GPU. Just looking for the best bang for the buck that will last multiple years.

The trackpad doesn’t have to be spectacular, as I assume they’ll be using a mouse. This laptop will live in their home, and seldom be more than 10 feet from a charger. 

Should I be looking at AMD now? Or does Intel still reign supreme even at the lowest end?

Lastly, if anyone has advice between leaving the bloatware on (for the most part) or installing a completely clean version of Windows, I’d appreciate the input.

Thanks in advance!

Chromebook

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Chromebook

Thanks for the suggestion but I need to stick with Windows for some other reasons not listed. Didn’t want to make a huge post

8 minutes ago, cbergerman1515 said:

Thanks for the suggestion but I need to stick with Windows for some other reasons not listed. Didn’t want to make a huge post

I'd recommend checking out LTT's back to school video then. There's a few budget suggestions in there and the prices should be slightly decreased

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

13 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

I'd recommend checking out LTT's back to school video then. There's a few budget suggestions in there and the prices should be slightly decreased

Eh... thanks. 

Perhaps I should clarify. Just because my budget is small for them doesn’t mean I don’t know anything about electronics. I’m an electrical engineer and long time viewer of LTT. I have a great understanding of features on the market. I’m just looking for a nice conversation or suggestions around what models would fall in that range this time of year. 

I understand I’m looking for an SSD and 8ish GB of RAM. What I could use help on is determining the real world performance differences between AMD and Intel chips at that price point.

The part on the above video where they talk about the Acer’s Blender time for the i5 vs the Ryzen chip was the most helpful thing so far. Obviously I would prefer a quad core if I can find one at that price point, but determining the performance across all the different mobile product numbers is difficult for me. Perhaps there is no clear winner at that price point right now. 

1 minute ago, cbergerman1515 said:

Ah okay. 

When it comes down to it. AMD is extremely competitive in pretty much all tiers, low-end through high-end, especially with their 3000 series. However, as far as I've seen intel is still the king at Performance Per Watt... just not Performance Per Clock. Whether or not this will make a major difference when it comes to Higher Wattage, shorter time VS Lower Wattage, longer time I've yet to see.

7 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Thank you! I’ll take a look at some models tomorrow and maybe start a new thread if I need some clarifications. Something like an A/B test for a couple of models. I’m not going to stress much over it as my parents won’t know the difference. It just gives me peace of mind knowing I’m getting something of value for them. 

Happy Holidays

14 hours ago, cbergerman1515 said:

no more than $400 dollars

I don't think you can get a decent model for that price, maybe a Tongfang like this

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128