Using two routers on a single split ADSL line

levi_athan1701

Good day,

I am looking for advice with attempting to utilise two routers on a single ADSL line that has been split into two children.  Our residence has one telephone line that has an outer splitter on the roof, which splits the actual telephone connection into two child lines, which terminate at opposite ends of the residence.  The one endpoint has a telephone and an ADSL router connected to it via an inner splitter, whereas the other end point only has a telephone connected to it.  I am trying to figure out if its possible to connect another router to the other endpoint with the existing telephone as well.  According to research, this is impossible and it has been suggested to connect both routers together via Ethernet but this solution is not suitable due to various reasons.  We do currently use an extender but it is extremely unstable and it would be great if we can do away with it entirely.  Please refer to the diagram for additional clarity. 

Unfortunately I am no expert in this area and any input is greatly appreciated :) 

Regards, 

leviathan1701

ADSL config.png

"That is from an obscure language known as French- Mr. Data, the french language for centuries on Earth represented civilisation- But surely sir... - I suggest you drop it Mr. Data" - ST TNG

I do believe your prior research is correct that there is no direct way to do this without adding Ethernet cabling in the walls.

Now contradicting myself a little bit you may be able to use Powerline adapters to get an Ethernet connection from Router 1 to what would be Router 2 but understand that this will result in a very bottle-necked connection with possible intermittent issues.

Personally I don't recommend this configuration but if you really don't care then it is an option. Personally I would suck it up and find a way to get an Ethernet cable over there even if I had to run it external to the home. Hook-up a Switch and AP so it can all exist on the same network while providing wired & wireless service to that area.

ADSL uses one pair to provider internet, so technically a 2nd modem could be added and deliver a 2nd service. We often have 2-4 lines dropped to each customer allowing multiple services and/or bonding of ADSL and VDSL. I would contact your ISP and see if they can activate a service on the 2nd line. Now if it's a single phone line and they share pairs with the ADSL then you are limited to just the 1 service.

47 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I do believe your prior research is correct that there is no direct way to do this without adding Ethernet cabling in the walls.

Now contradicting myself a little bit you may be able to use Powerline adapters to get an Ethernet connection from Router 1 to what would be Router 2 but understand that this will result in a very bottle-necked connection with possible intermittent issues.

Personally I don't recommend this configuration but if you really don't care then it is an option. Personally I would suck it up and find a way to get an Ethernet cable over there even if I had to run it external to the home. Hook-up a Switch and AP so it can all exist on the same network while providing wired & wireless service to that area.

Hello Windows7ge

So hypothetically speaking, if it is decided to go for the powerline adapter option, would it be necessary to utlise a second router to be connected to the receiving powerline adapter using Ethernet or is it adequate enough for the receiving adapter to be Wifi capable and extend the range like that?  Please see included diagram for additional clarity.

ADSL config 2.png

"That is from an obscure language known as French- Mr. Data, the french language for centuries on Earth represented civilisation- But surely sir... - I suggest you drop it Mr. Data" - ST TNG

18 minutes ago, leviathan1701 said:

So hypothetically speaking, if it is decided to go for the powerline adapter option, would it be necessary to utlise a second router to be connected to the receiving powerline adapter using Ethernet or is it adequate enough for the receiving adapter to be Wifi capable and extend the range like that?  Please see included diagram for additional clarity.

If you just want to connect an AP or Switch to the Powerline adapter that should be entirely doable. No a second router would not be a requirement and if it's at all possible it'd actually be preferred to avoid using a second router unless you have a specific reason to segregate the networks.

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If you just want to connect an AP or Switch to the Powerline adapter that should be entirely doable. No a second router would not be a requirement and if it's at all possible it'd actually be preferred to avoid using a second router unless you have a specific reason to segregate the networks.

The reason why I ask about using a second router as an AP is because in my mind, it would have a greater wireless range as opposed to just using a Wifi capable Powerline adapter at the second endpoint.  I could easily be wrong on this assumption though.

Also I see that purchasing a twin powerline set without Wifi capability is cheaper, and unfortunately the finances have to be considered as well.  I have a spare router lying around so I was thinking I could use it.

1 minute ago, leviathan1701 said:

The reason why I ask about using a second router as an AP is because in my mind, it would have a greater wireless range as opposed to just using a Wifi capable Powerline adapter at the second endpoint.  I could easily be wrong on this assumption though.

I do believe some routers have a AP mode. If yours doesn't there are ways to turn it onto one but it can sometimes be a pain. As for the wireless coverage of your average powerline adapter in comparison to a standalone AP or Wireless capable router I can't say. I don't use powerline adapters.

5 minutes ago, leviathan1701 said:

Also I see that purchasing a twin powerline set without Wifi capability is cheaper, and unfortunately the finances have to be considered as well.  I have a spare router lying around so I was thinking I could use it.

You could likely rig this to make it work. Not the most optimal config but would get the job done. I've done something similar in the past.

BEST, of the BEST option (imo) is to run a dedicated Cat5e-Cat6 cable from main router to a AP. If you do another router, then you will have essentially TWO networks. 

Like Windows7ge, you can make SOME routers into an AP (Access Point), which will be like an "extension" to your network. Devices will automatically switch between the too, essentially making it one, big wireless network.

"Soli Deo Gloria"

IT Technician by trade. Computer/Network equipment enthusiast!

Gaming PC: 

• AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (Stock Core Clock)
  • XFX RX 590 FATBOY 8 GB (Stock Core Clock)
  • Asus ROG Strix B450-F Motherboard
  • Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2x8) kit 3200 Mhz RAM
  • 512 GB Intel 660p M.2 NVMe SSD (Boot & Current Games)
  • 3 TB Toshiba HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Data)
  • 2 TB Seagate HDD @ 7,200 rpm (Backup)
  • Corsair CX650M PSU
  • NZXT S340 Elite Case
  • 24" AOC C24G1 1500r Curved Gaming Monitor 144hz 1080p
  • Turtle Beach Stealth 450 Gaming Headset
  • Corsair K63 10-Keyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX)
  • Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse, Razor Death Adder
  • Win10 Home

PC Part Picker Link