GPU Fans Maxing Out During Load With No Obvious Reason

MXTanooki

I have a RX 580 (Sapphire Nitro+ 8GB) and I recently switched to a Ryzen build with a new motherboard. Everything has been fine and the performance has been great but the fans seem to max out randomly for no apparent reason now. 

The card never goes above 74C at most but the fans max out randomly between 63 and 74 degrees for no real reason. The temperatures are in check and the fan curve doesn't allow that so, why is this happening?

Captura de pantalla (211).png

Edit:  I managed to solve it by uninstalling RivaTuner and deleting its registry keys.

For anyone who might have this problem in the future. You need to delete the "Unwinder" folder in regedit after uninstalling RTSS. Do a clean Afterburner uninstall and install again without RTSS.

Are the fans reaching max RPM while its 75C or less, or are the fans too loud for you? The timeline in the graph doesn't show it reaching 100% RPM.

If it's too loud you can try giving taking the side panel off the case to see if that makes a difference before changing fan set up or case.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

Maybe it's getting very short heat spikes while under load.  Have you tried blowing any dust out from the heatsink?  And is the temperature inside the case warmer with the new Ryzen parts, or is it actually running cooler than it was with your old motherboard and CPU?

Here's 2 different fan spikes. As you can see the temperatures are fine under load but it spikes to 100% and it's not reported in MSI Afterburner, it thinks it's still at a low RPM even though it's at 100%. This isn't about temps.

Captura de pantalla (212).png

Captura de pantalla (213).png

6 hours ago, alyen said:

Are the fans reaching max RPM while its 75C or less, or are the fans too loud for you? The timeline in the graph doesn't show it reaching 100% RPM.

If it's too loud you can try giving taking the side panel off the case to see if that makes a difference before changing fan set up or case.

They’re not *reaching* max rpm, it goes from 40% to 100% with no change in temperature and it stays like that for like 5 seconds at a time before going back to what Afterburner reads. 

Are you able to adjust the fan curve for it? The temperature could be at a point in the fan curve where it adjusts too abruptly.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

3 minutes ago, alyen said:

Are you able to adjust the fan curve for it? The temperature could be at a point in the fan curve where it adjusts too abruptly.

Yeah I am able to adjust the fan curve and it works most of the time however, this maxing out happens at a stable temp of 63-64c as well. However, Afterburner does not read a maxing out of the fans during the (I’m calling it a) bug. 

I read a bit more into it and it seems like RivaTuner might have something to do so I’ll do a clean un/install. 

I have a second monitor to monitor the temps at all times and they are stable 73c in Destiny 2 with an uncapped frame rate. This is the only problem I’ve had so far with the card 3 years into its lifetime. 

17 hours ago, MXTanooki said:

They’re not *reaching* max rpm, it goes from 40% to 100% with no change in temperature and it stays like that for like 5 seconds at a time before going back to what Afterburner reads. 

15 hours ago, MXTanooki said:

Yeah I am able to adjust the fan curve and it works most of the time however, this maxing out happens at a stable temp of 63-64c as well. However, Afterburner does not read a maxing out of the fans during the (I’m calling it a) bug. 

I read a bit more into it and it seems like RivaTuner might have something to do so I’ll do a clean un/install. 

I have a second monitor to monitor the temps at all times and they are stable 73c in Destiny 2 with an uncapped frame rate. This is the only problem I’ve had so far with the card 3 years into its lifetime. 

Can you push them to 100% speed and then show what kind of rpm you are getting. I don't think that you are actually hitting 100% there. Your GPU temps are tad on the high side if 60C is minimum.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Can you push them to 100% speed and then show what kind of rpm you are getting. I don't think that you are actually hitting 100% there. Your GPU temps are tad on the high side if 60C is minimum.

39c is minimum with a 19% fan speed (~980RPM). ~3.2K RPM is 100% which is what it jumps to from ~40% during the spikes. I managed to solve it by uninstalling RivaTuner and deleting its registry keys.

For anyone who might have this problem in the future. You need to delete the "Unwinder" folder in regedit after uninstalling RTSS.