Best 120/140mm Fans

Geekazoid

Just as the title says.

I want to keep to what will be a black & white themed case. All suggestions welcomed. :D

Thanks in advance for your help guys. :)

EDIT: Would it be too much trouble to post some pictures to go along with your suggestions, please?

Just the standard stock photos, please.

Edited by Geekazoid

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Just as the title says.

I want to keep to what will be a black & white themed case. All suggestions welcomed. :D

Thanks in advance for your help guys. :)

Buy Noctua NF12/14 fans. Use the LN or ULN adapters.

Spray paint them with plasti-dip black. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

If you want black and white go with noise blocker eloops. Or gentle typhoons. Noctuas have the best noise to performance but they look like noctuas.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5197vJpNqqL.jpg

Edited for pic.

Edited by Saladin

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

SIlverstone AP122

Bitfenix spectre pro

Noiseblocker

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

I believe performance-pc's still has quite a bit of scythe gt's in stock, they're grey+black.

I wouldn't recommend noctua on anyone after buying some and comparing them to my new sycthe gentle typhoons.

They're far from quiet.

I made a thread and a video about them.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/112961-noctuas-vs-scythe-gts/

@Saladin @Vitalius

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I believe performance-pc's still has quite a bit of scythe gt's in stock, they're grey+black.

I wouldn't recommend noctua on anyone after buying some and comparing them to my new sycthe gentle typhoons.

They're far from quiet.

I made a thread and a video about them.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/112961-noctuas-vs-scythe-gts/

@Saladin @Vitalius

I absolutely agree that noctuas aren't the quietest (they are really quiet just not the quietest) however in my opinion they have the best cooling to noise ratio (and with the included low rpm adapters they become inaudible). Im running NF-F12s right now on my water cooling loop (and some NF-A14s as case fans) and they are great. The look isnt for everyone and there are quieter options, however you do sacrifice cooling.

I absolutely agree that noctuas aren't the quietest (they are really quiet just not the quietest) however in my opinion they have the best cooling to noise ratio (and with the included low rpm adapters they become inaudible). Im running NF-F12s right now on my water cooling loop (and some NF-A14s as case fans) and they are great. The look isnt for everyone and there are quieter options, however you do sacrifice cooling.

You lose 2-3 degrees tops, for a fan that's quieter at 100% than a fan at 40%   I don't really agree that's better in any sense, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Buy Noctua NF12/14 fans. Use the LN or ULN adapters.

Spray paint them with plasti-dip black.

Dipping NFF12's sounds like a bad time.

Quite good.

Pretty quiet.

I believe they're kind of in the middle ground between CFM and pressure. If you have high FPI rads I wouldn't recommend.

Error: 410

Yeah those should be good, will they just be case fans? If so it should be good.

You lose 2-3 degrees tops, for a fan that's quieter at 100% than a fan at 40%   I don't really agree that's better in any sense, but you're entitled to your opinion.

We'll just have to disagree, Ive got 4 on my rads right now and they are inaudible (quieter than my D5 pump). My CPU is a 3570k @4.4 . As I said they aren't the quietest possible option but they are hardly loud (way quieter than corsair or cooler master or any other 'budget fans'). As for the temp difference, I switched from typhoons to noctuas and saw a 6-8 degree temp drop on the same overclock. Now obviously your mileage may vary but for me that was/is worth it.

Yeah those should be good, will they just be case fans? If so it should be good.

Yep, I just need 4 case fans.

If your really brave you could rit dye them. lol.

What do you mean "Dipping"? 

I sunk my NF-F14's in water for 6+ hours at over 300F. They still work. Very well in fact.

That's exactly what I tried and it didn't work. Don't do it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Plasti dip is kind of heavy and requires a lot of coats. It's very prone to being applied uneven, and in the case that it does it will destroy the performance from being unbalanced.

What do you mean "Dipping"? 

I sunk my NF-F14's in water for 6+ hours at over 300F. They still work. Very well in fact.

Plasti dip

We'll just have to disagree, Ive got 4 on my rads right now and they are inaudible (quieter than my D5 pump). My CPU is a 3570k @4.4 . As I said they aren't the quietest possible option but they are hardly loud (way quieter than corsair or cooler master or any other 'budget fans'). As for the temp difference, I switched from typhoons to noctuas and saw a 6-8 degree temp drop on the same overclock. Now obviously your mileage may vary but for me that was/is worth it.

No arguing on my thread please. :P

Fractal makes good 140mm fans. They are quiet and come in black with white blades.

8c7fa6d066dfc995001070c575cc8ff2.png

I use them, they're extremely quiet but they do sacrifice a lot to obtain that at a low price. 

I use them, they're extremely quiet but they do sacrifice a lot to obtain that at a low price. 

What areas are they bad in?

What areas are they bad in?

Air flow and pressure, lol. 

I guessed that. How bad are they?

They're not bad at all. They move enough air and aren't audible unless you stick your face in it. It's exactly what I was looking for so I don't resent them. 

I'm not using radiators either (as you shouldn't in an R4) so the benefit far outweighs the cons. Some fans will move more air or have more pressure but will be louder. At 15$ they're extremely good silent fans. 

They're not bad at all. They move enough air and aren't audible unless you stick your face in it. It's exactly what I was looking for so I don't resent them. 

I'm not using radiators either (as you shouldn't in an R4) so the benefit far outweighs the cons. Some fans will move more air or have more pressure but will be louder. At 15$ they're extremely good silent fans. 

So you would recommend them for use in an air cooled r4? I plan to do an h100i with different fans but use the fractal fans in the front, rear, and bottom.

Plasti dip is kind of heavy and requires a lot of coats. It's very prone to being applied uneven, and in the case that it does it will destroy the performance from being unbalanced.

When you said "dipping", I thought you meant literally dipping them in plasti-dip. It's just called that. You are supposed to spray it on. 

From what I know of Plasti-dip, you can put as few or as many coats as you want. It doesn't "need" a certain amount. It is heavy though, as it's liquified electrical tape, which is dense. 

It's actually fairly easy to spray paint (with plasti-dip or actual paint) a fan evenly. Just turn it on at the lowest possible "on" setting, and spray in controlled bursts for equal amounts of time. i.e. 2 seconds each burst.

It is far more recommended to spray fans that will be going slow anyway. i.e. ones with LN or ULN adapters or the like. Simply because they are going slower means they will be less likely to be unstable.

† Christian Member †