Watercooling A 800d. Questions.

Hey guys.

New to both watercooling and the forum here but I have a few questions that I hope may be able to be answered,

I've included an image of a possible loop. Would there be any possible way to get smaller runs in the 800D, with only one rad? Is this also the best way to setup the loop or am I doing it completely wrong?

b9xDixx.png

Would a 360mm radiator be sufficient for both a 680 and 2600k? I've seen one of Tiny Tom Logan's video saying that a XSPC RX360 is definitely sufficient but a 2nd opinion would be nice.

Assuming I used the XSPC RX360 which is apparently optimized for lower rpm fans, would there be any need for Noctua fans, or would something cheaper suffice?

If I were to get another GTX 680, I would get another 240mm radiator. What would be the easiest way to incorporate this into the loop and where would it be easily mounted in the 800D keeping in mind that the 360mm will be mounted at the top.

What is a good size of tubing for watercooling. I was going to get 3/8 ID 5/8 OD but would there be a better option.

Thanks in advance.

How do you watercool an entire case? Also that drawing should hang next to the Mona Lisa. But in all cereal, pretty good loop set up, when you get that second 680 you can put that extra 240 in the front if the case allows you.

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Yeah I found the drawing pleasing to the eye after I saved it haha. I was hoping a 240mm would fit in the front and I imagine it would (don't own the case yet). Will investigate into this I guess.

Adding extra rads will be easier in the back and the mid-place (additional 120mm in the back and 140mm in the mid plate)

Is there a reason you're not considering the 900D if the 800D doesn't hold enough radiator for your needs?

First of all great drawing :P You shouldn't have any problems with this loop as long as it's not your first time doing so. You'll still be able to add a 120 in the back I think and a 240 in the front if you so desire. Temps should be more then reasonable only a single 680 and a 2600k. As for the rad fans, unless you're going for aesthetics over performance just get Noctuas :p 

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Price may be a restriction in this case, plus I live in Australia and no retailers will stock it near me. The price on shipping I imagine would be fairly substantial. This sounds kind of silly but I would prefer to get a 240mm as opposed to single 140mm and 120mm just because it looks better. Was thinking perhaps a Switch 810 from NZXT will serve a better purpose?

w5OS5W8.jpg

It seems to support a 240mm with no modding/using a dremmel which is fairly good, wouldn't want to butcher a 800D. Is anyone who is reading this had experience with this case?

As for the Noctuas I will probably use those since they have a good reputation. Thanks for the replies as well.

Price may be a restriction in this case, plus I live in Australia and no retailers will stock it near me. The price on shipping I imagine would be fairly substantial. This sounds kind of silly but I would prefer to get a 240mm as opposed to single 140mm and 120mm just because it looks better. Was thinking perhaps a Switch 810 from NZXT will serve a better purpose?

It seems to support a 240mm with no modding/using a dremmel which is fairly good, wouldn't want to butcher a 800D. Is anyone who is reading this had experience with this case?

As for the Noctuas I will probably use those since they have a good reputation. Thanks for the replies as well.

The switch 810 supports a maximum of 1*140 1*420 1*280 and if you remove the second HDD cage you can add a second 140.

Its an amazing case. Only downside is that its made out of plastic.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

The switch 810 supports a maximum of 1*140 1*420 1*280 and if you remove the second HDD cage you can add a second 140.

Its an amazing case. Only downside is that its made out of plastic.

Yeah dependent on the pricing of the 900D I may get the NZXT. If my preferred online retailer sticks the 900D to NCIX's pricing of 350 dollars, I would prefer  that depending on the shipping cost. ( That is if it even gets it in.)

Also how does the plastic feel, like a cheap plastic or a fairly good quality plastic? Doesn't really bother me if it is made of plastic but I don't want it to break when I'm moving it around for the occasional LAN party.

Yeah dependent on the pricing of the 900D I may get the NZXT. If my preferred online retailer sticks the 900D to NCIX's pricing of 350 dollars, I would prefer  that depending on the shipping cost. ( That is if it even gets it in.)

Also how does the plastic feel, like a cheap plastic or a fairly good quality plastic? Doesn't really bother me if it is made of plastic but I don't want it to break when I'm moving it around for the occasional LAN party.

The Switch 810 isn't a LAN case. I wouldn't trust carrying it around, its way too flexible and heavy tbh. But you wouldn't expect to carry around a 800/900D either.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

The Switch 810 isn't a LAN case. I wouldn't trust carrying it around, its way too flexible and heavy tbh. But you wouldn't expect to carry around a 800/900D either.

Yeah at most I only have a LAN 4 times a year, but still manage to lug around a DF-85(ugly I know). May offload my current 7870 to a bitfenix prodigy and chuck a FX 6300 in it if I were to go the 900D route. The only thing I worry about with the 900D is the fact that I have 1 SSD and 2 Storage drives and that I wouldn't be making the most of it, it gets to a point where it is crazy overkill. A 360mm rad and a 240mm rad will dissipate all heat from 680 SLI and a 2600k it gets a bit excessive, considering the 900D can hold so many huge radiators.

Yeah at most I only have a LAN 4 times a year, but still manage to lug around a DF-85(ugly I know). May offload my current 7870 to a bitfenix prodigy and chuck a FX 6300 in it if I were to go the 900D route. The only thing I worry about with the 900D is the fact that I have 1 SSD and 2 Storage drives and that I wouldn't be making the most of it, it gets to a point where it is crazy overkill. A 360mm rad and a 240mm rad will dissipate all heat from 680 SLI and a 2600k it gets a bit excessive, considering the 900D can hold so many huge radiators.

Not so sure about this suggestion but you may want to consider putting your build into a prodigy and using a water/rad box. In case you don't know what this is I'll explain.

A water/rad box is simply a special computer case full of radiators. and fans. It has quick disconnect fittings going out of it. You just plug it into a water cooling system and and it cools down the fluid.

Have a look at this: 

You also have to remember the water cooling parts weigh an incredible amount when transporting a case, I cannot imagine transporting the 900D full of radiators. :S

Not so sure about this suggestion but you may want to consider putting your build into a prodigy and using a water/rad box. In case you don't know what this is I'll explain.

A water/rad box is simply a special computer case full of radiators. and fans. It has quick disconnect fittings going out of it. You just plug it into a water cooling system and and it cools down the fluid.

Have a look at this: 

You also have to remember the water cooling parts weigh an incredible amount when transporting a case, I cannot imagine transporting the 900D full of radiators. :S

This kind of looks out of my league for my very first watercooling build. Would like to get a grasp on the basics before doing stuff like this haha. Will probably do a Switch 810 build but be extra careful when I move it around. I'll see when the 900D comes to pccasegear and see if the costs warrants the extra cost.

This kind of looks out of my league for my very first watercooling build. Would like to get a grasp on the basics before doing stuff like this haha. Will probably do a Switch 810 build but be extra careful when I move it around. I'll see when the 900D comes to pccasegear and see if the costs warrants the extra cost.

Considering the UK price difference its ~ double. So it most likely won't be worth it. :P

But yeah, as long as you are careful you'll be fine.

Hey guys.

New to both watercooling and the forum here but I have a few questions that I hope may be able to be answered,

I've included an image of a possible loop. Would there be any possible way to get smaller runs in the 800D, with only one rad? Is this also the best way to setup the loop or am I doing it completely wrong?

Would a 360mm radiator be sufficient for both a 680 and 2600k? I've seen one of Tiny Tom Logan's video saying that a XSPC RX360 is definitely sufficient but a 2nd opinion would be nice.

Assuming I used the XSPC RX360 which is apparently optimized for lower rpm fans, would there be any need for Noctua fans, or would something cheaper suffice?

If I were to get another GTX 680, I would get another 240mm radiator. What would be the easiest way to incorporate this into the loop and where would it be easily mounted in the 800D keeping in mind that the 360mm will be mounted at the top.

What is a good size of tubing for watercooling. I was going to get 3/8 ID 5/8 OD but would there be a better option.

Thanks in advance.

welcome to the forums..

so this is a mobile idea?

800D is not mobile friendly, nor is the 810 or 900D.

what build do you currently have? spec?

what loaded temperatures and ambient temperatures are you experiencing?

what overclock? GPU overclock?

what do you have now and what is to be bought?

airdeano

The Switch 810 feels crap IMO, the plastic is reeaallllyy cheap.

I had my case featured on the BOTW a while back and I managed to get an RX480 + RX240 into the 800D with a similar setup you're after. Here's my build log, I don't want to sound like i'm just promoting it but it's the best way I can explain how I got them to fit. Have a look and here's a picture of my rig.

Had to mod the HDD cage from out the bottom but I have seen other builds where instead of my sideways rad, they've had the rad horizontal on the bottom and cut out part of the bottom of the case for ventilation

If you're not looking to mod the case then I'd go with the other recommendations like the 900D. For fans I'd go Corsair SP fans or Noctua NF-F12 if you're looking for outright performance, I went with bitfenix spectres cause I wanted the blue led glow from the top of my case and they are very quiet. Just remember the XSPC RX rads are low fin density so they're more optimized for low rpm fans and that's the reason I used em, I was looking more for silence than performance. But I can tell you, the performance is definitely there. My GPUs never go over 50 degrees celsius. 3770K usually around 65 at 4.6GHz max load.

As for short runs, direct routes are the shortest (obviously), but I'd rather go for aesthetics in your loop and make it look nice. I'm hoping to maybe change up my loop to make it look nicer but with uni at the moment I just don't have the time. Goodluck with your build and hope to see it on the build logs

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/5999-build-log-from-an-aussie/

189_zps005e34ce.jpg

i think there is a mod with the 800D where you can put a 480 i think at the top where you 360 is (don't quote me on this) but i think if you sell you 800D you can get a 900D (i'm pretty sure someone will wan't that

i think there is a mod with the 800D where you can put a 480 i think at the top where you 360 is (don't quote me on this) but i think if you sell you 800D you can get a 900D (i'm pretty sure someone will wan't that

I mentioned in my post that mine was a 480, check the build log for the mod. I also mention in the post ;) If you're just using a 360 then no mods are required.

"... I managed to get an RX480 + RX240 into the 800D"