RX580 possibly failing?

So I built a gaming computer a few months ago, and I think the graphics card might be failing in some way. My monitor is has been plugged into both an HDMI port and a DisplayPort with an adapter to test that. The effect is different sometimes, but there are always vertical lines of pixels moving, and it kind of looks like screen tearing in the video game, but constant and across the whole screen. The color is also way off, but not like specific blocks of color, more like just changing the hue of everything on screen.

Something is failing anyway.
Shot in the dark:

Is the monitor really old? CRT by any chance?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Something is failing anyway.
Shot in the dark:

Is the monitor really old? CRT by any chance?

It's probably 10 years old. It has an HDMI input but it's really weird because it "zooms in" the image when used. Instead, I adapt an HDMI cable to VGA and just use that. It has worked for a long time though. I had a GTX680 before this RX580 and that worked just fine.

So it’s it’s a wonky monitor running vga.  There are two adaptors and you’re going DisplayPort to vga through hdmi and two adaptors?

Vga is analog not digital.  DisplayPort is pure digital.  I’m kind of surprised you’re getting anything at all.

What happens if you run hdmi from the 580 to hdmi on the monitor?  The zooming?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

37 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So it’s it’s a wonky monitor running vga.  There are two adaptors and you’re going DisplayPort to vga through hdmi and two adaptors?

Vga is analog not digital.  DisplayPort is pure digital.  I’m kind of surprised you’re getting anything at all.

Well first of all, I was running one adapter for a long time, just HDMI to VGA. To test whether or not my HDMI port was failing, i connected a second adapter to use the DisplayPort.

Second, the "zooming" effect i me toned basically makes the edges of the image go off the top, bottom, and sides of the display. It looks like it was zoomed in about 15%.

43 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

20191217_194906.jpg

5 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

20191217_194906.jpg

That’s hdmi to hdmi?  That looks normal to me. No squiggly bits?

On 12/17/2019 at 7:57 PM, Bombastinator said:

That’s hdmi to hdmi?  That looks normal to me. No squiggly bits?

It was hard to see on that screen. Imagine screen tearing, but over the entire thing. And it was HDMI to VGA.

In the end, you were right, it was just the monitor failing. I replaced it with another, even though it's just as old. At least this one has DVI though. It seems to be working perfectly. 

13 hours ago, Aaralli said:

It was hard to see on that screen. Imagine screen tearing, but over the entire thing. And it was HDMI to VGA.

In the end, you were right, it was just the monitor failing. I replaced it with another, even though it's just as old. At least this one has DVI though. It seems to be working perfectly. 

I have learned to fear dvi.  It’s newer than vga but just as obsolete, there are 5 different kinds, and looking at the port won’t reliably tell you which one it is.