I have $1500 and need a gaming desktop and peripherals

I have aquired $1500 and I need a desktop computer built to perform best when playing video games. I also need a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. With that in mind, what would you suggest as being the best combination of components and peripherals to make the best out of this $1500? I like to play fps games like battlefield, apex legends, modern warfare, and any game that comes out in the future. I also do occasional video, sound, and photo editing. I also want it to be future proof, I don't want to have to upgrade it for a long while.

I spent the last 12 hours throwing together what I think is a good build using current gen parts, but I went slightly over the price. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/l0vemuffin/saved/MdGskL

With the $1500 in mind, what do you suggest?

buy a "china licence" for windows it's around 10$ on kinguin/g2a or cheaper on ebay, that's already 80$ saved.

i don't think the standard 3600 comes with a cpu cooler so you might want to get one, i use the cryorig H7 for my 2700x and it works very well, it's not loud and it keeps the temps under 70 when under normal gaming load.

depending on the amount of fans that come with the case you might not need to purchase extra fans so that might be another way to shave off some costs on the build

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

11 minutes ago, flashiling said:

buy a "china licence" for windows it's around 10$ on kinguin/g2a or cheaper on ebay, that's already 80$ saved.

i don't think the standard 3600 comes with a cpu cooler so you might want to get one, i use the cryorig H7 for my 2700x and it works very well, it's not loud and it keeps the temps under 70 when under normal gaming load.

depending on the amount of fans that come with the case you might not need to purchase extra fans so that might be another way to shave off some costs on the build

all the Zen 2 CPUs come with a stock cooler.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

20 minutes ago, flashiling said:

3600 comes with a cpu cooler

It does

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Team MP34 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($103.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card  ($479.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-DELTA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Best Buy) 
Power Supply: BitFenix Formula Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply 
Monitor: VIOTEK GN24CB 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($144.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Cougar ATTACK X3 (MX Blue) Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($59.50 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO Wired Optical Mouse  ($41.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1380.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-17 03:53 EST-0500

no need to pay full windows price, wont say more about that 

use the saved money to:

IMPORTANT: Manny publications have shown that 3000 Ram is not fast enough for Ryzen 3xxx. Get a 3600 Kit and that way get more perf from your CPU: Manny will say hey but 16Gb is enough. At the price of the system I think 32GB is a good by now. RAM prices are down but will go up by 2020. And the next gen consoles are coming, so games will be getting the next leap in storage computing and ram requrements. 

PSU: I got a better one. PCPP could not find a price but expect to pay 100-120$. This unit is rated A+ on or list and is a hell of a deal for that!

Rest of the system: Idd go with a RX5700XT. but yeha its a nice build!

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

9 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

no need to pay full windows price, wont say more about that 

IMPORTANT: Manny publications have shown that 3000 Ram is not fast enough for Ryzen 3xxx. Get a 3600 Kit and that way get more perf from your CPU: Manny will say hey but 16Gb is enough. At the price of the system I think 32GB is a good by now. RAM prices are down but will go up by 2020. And the next gen consoles are coming, so games will be getting the next leap in storage computing and ram requrements. 

PSU: I got a better one. PCPP could not find a price but expect to pay 100-120$. This unit is rated A+ on or list and is a hell of a deal for that!

Rest of the system: Idd go with a RX5700XT. but yeha its a nice build!

Can you possibly explain to me why I wouldn't have to pay full price for Windows 10? I like the idea of not having to pay an extra $100 for the software.

I further refined the parts list. If I could not have to pay for Windows, it would bring the price down to almost $1500, which would be great. I also added different 3600 speed memory and changed the case to something more practical and cost effective (this one has fans included and was highly reviewed by gamers nexus). Additionally, the psu was upgraded to a 750w 80+ gold power supply. I see the merit to what you said about the amount of memory, though, for the applications I have for this computer, I'd say 16GBs serves me well. Nice thing about having a desktop now instead of a laptop is that I can upgrade in the future very easily. That is one of the main ideas about getting this computer.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4dxPJb

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($184.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($529.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case  ($98.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($111.98 @ Newegg) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" 1920x1080 Monitor  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 

Total: $1667.87

I also had a friend tell me that $90 for that 3600 memory is sketchy. Would you say the same? I have no concept of whether or not it is.

2 minutes ago, MatthewTheCollegeStudent said:

I also had a friend tell me that $90 for that 3600 memory is sketchy. Would you say the same? I have no concept of whether or not it is.

NOPPP. Memory is cheap right now. After all its amazon. If its not ok you can send it back for free.

37 minutes ago, MatthewTheCollegeStudent said:

Can you possibly explain to me why I wouldn't have to pay full price for Windows 10? I like the idea of not having to pay an extra $100 for the software.

I further refined the parts list. If I could not have to pay for Windows, it would bring the price down to almost $1500, which would be great. I also added different 3600 speed memory and changed the case to something more practical and cost effective (this one has fans included and was highly reviewed by gamers nexus). Additionally, the psu was upgraded to a 750w 80+ gold power supply. I see the merit to what you said about the amount of memory, though, for the applications I have for this computer, I'd say 16GBs serves me well. Nice thing about having a desktop now instead of a laptop is that I can upgrade in the future very easily. That is one of the main ideas about getting this computer.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4dxPJb

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($184.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($529.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case  ($98.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($111.98 @ Newegg) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" 1920x1080 Monitor  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 

Total: $1667.87

RAM: Roger sir, you can easily get more later, should you need to.

!!!DONT GET THIS PSU!!!

Its craptastic, rated D. The unit I recommended is rated A+. Manny want to cheap out on the PSU, but DONT do it. Creates trouble after a few years of usage and is verry unsafe for you components and possible your house lol

see:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40/

the SSD you got is shiit because its SATA over M.2. Therefore super slow compared to the one I recommended, wich uses NVME and has way faster controller and flash.

I know EVGA and WD sound better form a brands perspective than TeamGroup and BitFenix, but yeha they perform WAY better. 

also you DONT need 750W for this rig. 650 is more than enough!

Windows: Just google Windows 10 key :D 

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

That PSU is worse then the Bitfenix!

The SSD is niiice

About the monitor: yes

12 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Erm no it isn't. 

14 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

The SSD is niiice

About the monitor: yes

It's a good psu. Much better than the g3 and does the job

Yeah, I concur with lee32uk, on the forum post you shared with me, that PSU is listed as A tier. It's good (supposedly). I replaced my old PSU with that one.

I don't know these other SSD brands. You say they're good, but I see no reviews from reputable people that prove that. Amazon reviews for these claim they die or fail on arrival or in 2 months. So I got a faster SSD like you suggested, but it's from Samsung, and it's half the storage for a similar price as the WD Blue. Also I don't mind the slower speeds. It's probably the same speed or better as the SSD on this 5 year old laptop, and it's not terribly overpriced, I want reliability, cost effectiveness, and speed. In that order. The WD Blue seemed like a good candidate for those requirements. Perhaps I could get a normal 2.5 SATA SSD instead of the m.2 SSD? I've failed to look into it before making this post, so I'm mostly speculating. But I want to know what you guys think.

One thing I'm trying to justify now is the use of the X570 spec motherboard. I got it because it seems very future proof and has a lovely set of features. But with the next gen ryzen 4000's coming out next year, is the X570 going to still be relevant? Is it going to be able to support next gen CPUs on the X570 like the B450s were with 3rd gen? I'm afraid if I get the B450, then the next time I would want to upgrade my cpu I would need to replace the whole motherboard. But then again, if I am to be trying to acquire a 1440p monitor, I would need to downgrade some part of my pc, and the motherboard seems like a good contender for it.

Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-17 15:10 EST-0500

13 minutes ago, MatthewTheCollegeStudent said:

Yeah, I concur with lee32uk, on the forum post you shared with me, that PSU is listed as A tier. It's good (supposedly). I replaced my old PSU with that one.

I don't know these other SSD brands. You say they're good, but I see no reviews from reputable people that prove that. Amazon reviews for these claim they die or fail on arrival or in 2 months. So I got a faster SSD like you suggested, but it's from Samsung, and it's half the storage for a similar price as the WD Blue. Also I don't mind the slower speeds. It's probably the same speed or better as the SSD on this 5 year old laptop, and it's not terribly overpriced, I want reliability, cost effectiveness, and speed. In that order. The WD Blue seemed like a good candidate for those requirements. Perhaps I could get a normal 2.5 SATA SSD instead of the m.2 SSD? I've failed to look into it before making this post, so I'm mostly speculating. But I want to know what you guys think.

One thing I'm trying to justify now is the use of the X570 spec motherboard. I got it because it seems very future proof and has a lovely set of features. But with the next gen ryzen 4000's coming out next year, is the X570 going to still be relevant? Is it going to be able to support next gen CPUs on the X570 like the B450s were with 3rd gen? I'm afraid if I get the B450, then the next time I would want to upgrade my cpu I would need to replace the whole motherboard. But then again, if I am to be trying to acquire a 1440p monitor, I would need to downgrade some part of my pc, and the motherboard seems like a good contender for it.

There are some good alternatives to the Samsung SSD. They make good ones (Samsung) but they are usually overpriced compared to other brands. The corsair MP510 is a good option, as is the Adata SX8200 PRO and HP EX950. There is also the Intel 660p which is fine for a budget option if you are just mainly gaming.  An NVMe SSD won't really make a huge difference over a SATA one anyway for that. The WD Blue is ok for a SATA SSD along with one of my favourites the Crucial MX500.

A B450 board would be fine if you wanted to save some cash. One of the MSI B450 MAX boards for example such as the B450-A PRO MAX or Tomahawk MAX etc. 

You could easily drop the gpu down to a 2060 Super or even a 1660 variant if you are using that 1080p monitor to game on.

3 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

There are some good alternatives to the Samsung SSD. They make good ones (Samsung) but they are usually overpriced compared to other brands. The corsair MP510 is a good option, as is the Adata SX8200 PRO and HP EX950. There is also the Intel 660p which is fine for a budget option if you are just mainly gaming.  An NVMe SSD won't really make a huge difference over a SATA one anyway for that. The WD Blue is ok for a SATA SSD along with one of my favourites the Crucial MX500.

A B450 board would be fine if you wanted to save some cash. One of the MSI B450 MAX boards for example such as the B450-A PRO MAX or Tomahawk MAX etc. 

You could easily drop the gpu down to a 2060 Super or even a 1660 variant if you are using that 1080p monitor to game on.

26 minutes ago, MatthewTheCollegeStudent said:

Yes for most peeps SATA is enough, BUT the NVME are not more expensive. Like said: Getting overpriced Samsung and only 500GB is not worth it against a slightly slower team/silican power etc 1TB one. THIS difference you wont notice. Sata SSD vs NVME you will from time to time.

PSU: RMx is nice at that price. But watch out for the Formular gold. Sometimes they are around 90. That extra 10 bucks is with it.

Dorping down the GPU I would not do. Future proofing and stuf. And IF you want to drop down the GPU the next reasonable thing would be a RX5700 non XT

1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

Yes for most peeps SATA is enough, BUT the NVME are not more expensive. Like said: Getting overpriced Samsung and only 500GB is not worth it against a slightly slower team/silican power etc 1TB one. THIS difference you wont notice. Sata SSD vs NVME you will from time to time.

PSU: RMx is nice at that price. But watch out for the Formular gold. Sometimes they are around 90. That extra 10 bucks is with it.

Dorping down the GPU I would not do. Future proofing and stuf. And IF you want to drop down the GPU the next reasonable thing would be a RX5700 non XT

That is why I mentioned the 660p. That is a decent NVMe SSD which is usually priced very competitively. You won't really notice a difference though in load/boot times.

The RMx is fully modular though which is nice to have as it means less cable clutter. If he doesn't mind non modular then the formula is a good unit. The RMx has a much better warranty though, although probably not needed.

Futureproofing ? I hate that word. A GTX 1660 can easily cope with 1080p/60Hz. The gpu is easy to upgrade in the future.