Cant install, cant update windows

Hey guys, my gf got this laptop which cant update and install programs because the C is full, even if the directory/installation path is changed to D it doesnt let it install anything.
she has a 1tb HDD which strangely enough has 30gb allocated for C and over 900gb for D. I was planning to do a clean install of windows, but I dont know how to reactivate windows because the OS came with the laptop without an installation disk

80043160_1050399361990567_3813736736131907584_n.jpg

You’ll need a windows key code.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

You’ll need a windows key code.

How would I get one sir

Usually you don't need to have the licence, since Windows 10 gonna be activated automatically. But if you want to be sure, you can use a software called ProduKey and get the licence before you clean install Windows 10. 

1 minute ago, Lexseroth 17 said:

How would I get one sir

There might be one on a tag stick to the computer.  Purchasing a new version of Windows is alway an option though that is annoying and expensive.  I understand there are lots of ways, and possibly ways to do it without a key code.  Not my area I’m afraid.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, Lexseroth 17 said:

she has a 1tb HDD which strangely enough has 30gb allocated for C and over 900gb for D

Delete the D partition, expand the C partition, problem solved.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Delete the D partition, expand the C partition, problem solved.

He’ll need a windows install from another drive such as a USB key to do that though

Just now, Bombastinator said:

He’ll need a windows install from another drive such as a USB key to do that though

Why? You can just do it through the Disk Management utility in a handful of clicks.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

He should be able to do it with the built-in disk management tool.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I was thinking of booting from a USB drive, but my main issue was the activation of windows after it installs as I do not have the product key

Just now, Lexseroth 17 said:

I was thinking of booting from a USB drive, but my main issue was the activation of windows after it installs as I do not have the product key

Like I've said earlier, usually you don't need to know the licence since it was activated on Microsoft servers. I've clean install Windows 10 on a lot of computers and never needed to enter the licence.

1 minute ago, Viper9 said:

Like I've said earlier, usually you don't need to know the licence since it was activated on Microsoft servers. I've clean install Windows 10 on a lot of computers and never needed to enter the licence.

Oh, that helps alot :)), dont know much about windows 10 installation, I've only had experience messing with windows 7 back in the day. Thank you sir

Just now, Lexseroth 17 said:

Oh, that helps alot :)), dont know much about windows 10 installation, I've only had experience messing with windows 7 back in the day. Thank you sir

No problem, but if want to be 100% you can use the software ProduKey to get the licence before you do the clean install. But like I said a PC running Win10 with internet access should activate itself when you clean install Windows. 

If Windows works, just expand C (and delete D - but copy files from "D" first).

You can even join partitions (some disk management allow that), but for sure for you first option will be easier.

If you don't know how to do simply stuff as how installation works (especially when you're trying to install Windows on D drive while you have Windows installed on C drive), DO NOT try to clean install Windows, because you'll end with nothing probably (or, to be more specific, with lot of another questions on this forum). Just resolve that problem with 100% full drive.