Hmm... RX580 8GB or R9 Fury 4GB?

Adorable Cat

I've got a bit of a first world problem here and could use some help deciding. 

I have a Sapphire R9 Fury and a Gigabyte RX580. Both work good but I don't know which one to keep in my PC. On the one hand, I only have a 1080p monitor so the 4GB of VRAM on the Fury shouldn't be much of a problem. However, I also play in VR, so I don't know if the 4GB could be holding me back there. 

I think the Fury looks really good with my build, and it's cooler than the 580 so I guess it really just comes down to if the VRAM is an issue or not.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

If VRAM is an issue then you could just lower the settings a little. The Fury is the more powerful card so I'd probably go with that unless you encountered other issues. 

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 33 Tower Cooler | MSI B450 Tomahawk |  32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz CAS 14 

Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse | EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold Semi-Modular  |  XPG SX6000 512GB Nvme SSD | NZXT H500

Acer XF270HU - 1440p 144Hz Freeesync IPS | Corsair Strafe - Cherry MX Red  |  Logitech G502

24 minutes ago, Adorable Cat said:

I've got a bit of a first world problem here and could use some help deciding. 

I have a Sapphire R9 Fury and a Gigabyte RX580. Both work good but I don't know which one to keep in my PC. On the one hand, I only have a 1080p monitor so the 4GB of VRAM on the Fury shouldn't be much of a problem. However, I also play in VR, so I don't know if the 4GB could be holding me back there. 

I think the Fury looks really good with my build, and it's cooler than the 580 so I guess it really just comes down to if the VRAM is an issue or not.

If u got ~650w psu, defo go with the fury. 4g  is enough for 1080p

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I'd go with RX 580 ... newer generation, will be supported for longer time by video games.

Support wouldn’t matter because 580 is waay slower. Plus I’d say the fury has a good 3 to four years before it needs to be replaced.

10 minutes ago, MrSushiGaming said:

Support wouldn’t matter because 580 is waay slower. Plus I’d say the fury has a good 3 to four years before it needs to be replaced.

You're greatly mistaken, the RX 580 is not "waay" slower at all, the Fury matches the RX 590 so the headroom is rather small, besides more and more games are requiring more than 4GB of VRAM for optimal performance even at 1080p on occasions to where it's advantages on GPU side might be undone by the lack of VRAM.

Not only that it is indeed an old card that does not support the latest features on Radeon Adrenaline 2020 driver and is by no means "optimized" for on latest games.

The Fury is dead now entering 2020, if these two are OP's only options the RX 580 is the better pick.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, Princess Luna said:

You're greatly mistaken, the RX 580 is not "waay" slower at all, the Fury matches the RX 590 so the headroom is rather small, besides more and more games are requiring more than 4GB of VRAM for optimal performance even at 1080p on occasions to where it's advantages on GPU side might be undone by the lack of VRAM.

Not only that it is indeed an old card that does not support the latest features on Radeon Adrenaline 2020 driver and is by no means "optimized" for on latest games.

The Fury is dead now entering 2020, if these two are OP's only options the RX 580 is the better pick.

Thx for pointing me out m8. Thought fury was faster.

Just now, MrSushiGaming said:

Thx for pointing me out m8. Thought fury was faster.

It can be faster, it's just past the point I'd personally consider it... specially as everything is going against it's favour nowadays.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, Princess Luna said:

Alright, another question: Do you think I could reuse the cooler from the Fury on my 580? It's a lot beefier and looks better imo, and the holes on the back seem to match up. Just the Fury cooler doesn't have cooling for the memory because HBM

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

No but you wouldn’t need to because pretty much all 580 coolers (except reference) are good.

Both are have nearly the same speeds. I would go with whichever has the highest amount of memory if you like to play your games on the highest settings. but if you want to do some overclocking with the 580 you can have it beat the R9 fury. However, the RX 590 still has the high amount of memory and is slightly faster than the R9 fury at base clock. Personally i would recommend the 580 because the higher amount of memory will allow you to do more things with the GPU.

Aurora:

CPU- Ryzen 2600X

GPU- MSI GTX 980ti Sapphire RX 480 4gb

RAM- 8gb

PSU- EVGA GQ 650 Watt

Motherboard- MSI X470 gaming pro

Case- Thermaltake View 21

Storage- a couple of HDDs I had around

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/4F6scf

A Much Needed Upgrade

4 hours ago, Adorable Cat said:

Alright, another question: Do you think I could reuse the cooler from the Fury on my 580? It's a lot beefier and looks better imo, and the holes on the back seem to match up. Just the Fury cooler doesn't have cooling for the memory because HBM

no, just find a 580 you think looks cool and has good reviews.

Aurora:

CPU- Ryzen 2600X

GPU- MSI GTX 980ti Sapphire RX 480 4gb

RAM- 8gb

PSU- EVGA GQ 650 Watt

Motherboard- MSI X470 gaming pro

Case- Thermaltake View 21

Storage- a couple of HDDs I had around

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/4F6scf

A Much Needed Upgrade

I've actually rocked both (well, not exactly; I have an R9 Fury X rather than a regular R9 Fury, but it's still applicable) and, trust me, that VRAM on the 580 will come in handy with newer games if you want to play them at respectable settings, even at 1080p.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Update for anyone who reads this in the future,

I was gonna stay with the R9 Fury just because the performance was pretty much the same and I like the look of the cooler more, but then found out I can't use it with VR because it only has a HDMI 1.4 connector, not 2.0. I could use a Displayport->HDMI adapter but I don't have one and don't feel like buying one.