From Windows To Linux

I've been considering installing Linux in one of my new builds, but I've never used it before and I'm not sure how big of a change it is. So I have some questions.

1. What are some major differences going from Windows to Linux?

2. Can I install Linux on the same HDD as WinXP on my old desktop and run it?

3. Do you prefer Windows or Linux?

1) Fluidity (?), Looks (better)

2) Yes

3) Windows on my Rig, Linux on my Laptop. 

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

1. Software, although there are plenty of excellent alternatives. See my signature >.> Gaming is the only other major difference, but Valve is changing that. Linux also runs on the lowest of the lowest hardware, so it's excellent for older hardware. It's good on newer hardware too - the less the OS uses, the more resources you have for applications. 

2. Easily. You'll need to set up some free space on the harddrive, then install Linux to it in a dual-boot. Or wipe Windows XP and run Linux on it. 

3. Linux offers everything I need a computer for. And it's free, gives tons of customization options. Definitely Linux. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Linux is awesome!

There are major differences and the only way to really get to know it is by using it.

Yes you will be able to install it on you old computer and depending on which distro you decide to go with you should be able to dual boot really easily if you want to.

I prefer Linux just for the openness and all of the awesome tweaks you can do with it but for gaming windows is the only way ATM :(

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

#1. Linux based Operating System GUI varies. All have their own default layout. You can change it. You can look at pictures on the web and you decide which appeal you most, as they are all different. To change or instal them, refer to the official web site instructions. As for which Linux based OS you want, it depends on what you are seeking.

Here are 2 examples:

-> If you want Linux more Windows style, and easier to get started. Look at Ubuntu

-> If you don't want to use a highly modified Linux kernel like Ubuntu, and use Linux as it is, and really want to see how you normally use a Linux based OS, look into Arch Linux. Their policy is not modify anything, and experience Linux as is. It must be noted that Arch Linux won't get you a nice interface with mouse control, Just command line. you'll need to install all these tweaks and software. If you want to learn Linux, this is the best distro, in my opinion, as you don't have any fancy 1 click do everything, Windows style, giving you full power and flexibility to all your actions.

They are of course a whole set of distro. I would start reading about them. It will be a nice read, but at least you'll get what you prefer best.

#2 Yes. Here is a nice tutorial to dual boot: http://lifehacker.com/5403100/dual+boot-windows-7-and-ubuntu-in-perfect-harmony. While this mentioned Windows 7 and Ubuntu, the process is the same

#3 They are plenty of threads on this forum. All depends on your needs in term of software, user experience, system, and your opinion and vision on things.

My opinion: Windows. And not for games. Linux based OS tool and software are primitive, and lackluster preventing to be actually productive. Great if you just need a web browser and music player. But you'll quickly start looking into software to make your Linux into Windows. So might as well use Windows. At least it's miles more polished at the GUI level, application levels, and you have a uncountable number of programs and alternative to each software. Just a question of digging it up. And with Windows, things just work out of the box. However, Arch Linux will make you appreciate more what Windows or distro like Ubuntu provides.

if you didn't do it already, you should try a live cd/dvd

it lets you run linux from a bootable drive without installing it, so you can see how it is

1) Fluidity (?), Looks (better)

hmmm looks better? windows 8 is very nice, linux has a lot more kinky stuff but i wouldn't say it looks better hands down

win is more classy imho

1. That depends... but i would say that probably the major difference it's the softwares that you will use.

2. Yes

3. My PCs only run linux.

Signatures are stupid.

hmmm looks better? windows 8 is very nice, linux has a lot more kinky stuff but i wouldn't say it looks better hands down

Depends which Linux distribution you pick. elementaryOS is gorgeous. PearOS is another which looks much like OSX. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Depends which Linux distribution you pick. elementaryOS is gorgeous. PearOS is another which looks much like OSX. 

i juse looked at some google image results, and i keep thinking that win and OSX are hard to beat when it comes to appearance

in linux it's possible to build a gorgeous desktop, to put fancy widgets or sexy themes, but at the end of the day i think that it's obvious that linux is made from a lot of programmers and very few designers

win looks more of a professional job, it's a better ux

Windows 8 looks better for me

STAY ON WINDOWs 8.1!!!!!!!!

Click the like button if I helped you, it only takes 0.5 seconds and does not cost anything!